How do you unlock an airport red circle when you have the OK?

Reaction score
First time trying to fly tonight and could not because of the mandatory Geo Fencing from DJI! Was in the red circle in DJI's app. Called the tower from a heli tour companies radio in their chopper. Really cool heli pilot btw! The tower was only a half mile away. The tower totally was cool with me flying too. Gave me the ok. So I was stoked to fly this hot air balloon glow event. Got it all hooked up and nothing. Tried to figure out how to unlock it but could not. Hooked my ipad to internet with my phone as a hotspot. But still couldn't figure it out. Got the inconsistent firmware notice and then it updated something and then still wanted me to hook up bird to my device to finish I guess. I did not go ahead and finish that in the field. So can anyone help on unlocking the red zones around Class D airspace? This was a smaller airport btw. Small charter stuff and recreational guys mostly.

First time trying to fly tonight and could not because of the mandatory Geo Fencing from DJI! Was in the red circle in DJI's app. Called the tower from a heli tour companies radio in their chopper. Really cool heli pilot btw! The tower was only a half mile away. The tower totally was cool with me flying too. Gave me the ok. So I was stoked to fly this hot air balloon glow event. Got it all hooked up and nothing. Tried to figure out how to unlock it but could not. Hooked my ipad to internet with my phone as a hotspot. But still couldn't figure it out. Got the inconsistent firmware notice and then it updated something and then still wanted me to hook up bird to my device to finish I guess. I did not go ahead and finish that in the field. So can anyone help on unlocking the red zones around Class D airspace? This was a smaller airport btw. Small charter stuff and recreational guys mostly.
Hi was havin a read done google search and gave me this ,might help find something in here
1505023152025295473674.jpg

Unlocking No-fly zones is overly complex and may have a logic problem. I was authorized to fly near an airport but needed to takeoff just near the boundary of the no-fly zone and it did not like unlocking outside and then flying inside or back and forth across the boundary. This was eventually traced to an error in the LAT LONG . . My P4P+ threw up the "Confirm you are authorized" screen 5 times in the middle of the flight . . again and again making me hit the two check marks and CONFIRM.

They should be authorizing the individual NOT the aircraft . . very poorly thought out . . .If it has to communicate to a server to start engines the authorization should be on the individual who is more "traceable" than a drone

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Or just use Litchi....
Wait a minute! Are you telling me all I do was fire up Litchi last night and I could have flown with no issue at all? Wow! I used it a lot last year with P4's but have not used it much at all lately! So Litchi does not have any restricted areas at all built in?

Litchi doesn't use the DJI Geo database of 'recommended' flight restrictions but hard NFZ area locks (such as near Class B/C airports, etc.) are set in the aircraft firmware and in this respect Litchi has the same limitations as any other app

Litchi doesn't use the DJI Geo database of 'recommended' flight restrictions but hard NFZ area locks (such as near Class B/C airports, etc.) are set in the aircraft firmware and in this respect Litchi has the same limitations as any other app
So what about a Class D airspace that is in a red circle on DJI app? Thx Smiller!

So what about a Class D airspace that is in a red circle on DJI app? Thx Smiller!

I'm not certain what criteria DJI uses, from the DJI website it appears that there are two categories of NFZs, Category A includes all Class B airports and national security sites such as Washington, DC and Category B NFZs include many but not necessarily all Class C airports. I'm pretty sure that at least Category A NFZs are locked out in the aircraft firmware and possibly Category B as well.

No FLY Zones | DJI

Stupid Go 4 wouldn't even let me fly in my living room because I'm near a rural airport that has an average traffic of about 3 flight per day. And I'm flying a P4A+ with built-in display, so no Litchi or other options are possible.

There are ways to turn off the nfz, videos on YouTube.

It sure if it's different with the 4p, but I had a job Friday , flying my P3p, shooting 6 properties around DuPage Airport in Illinois.
The outfit I was hired by has the 333 Exemption, and therefore can contact ATC directly & get authorization in a few days.
They also sent in about 9 Unlock requests from DJI, which then shows in my Unlock list in the Go software.

When I got on site- within a couple of blocks from the airport for the first one, I still couldn't start my motors.
After reading some posts online I found that once I got the confirmation about a successful Unlock, all I had to do was turn OFF the GEO lock setting in Go.

I then was able to fly at all 6 sites.
One of which was about 30' from the fence of the airfield.
I was told to keep to 100' or less when over there.
It was an interesting experience working that close to an airport.
But with permission....

It sure if it's different with the 4p, but I had a job Friday , flying my P3p, shooting 6 properties around DuPage Airport in Illinois.
The outfit I was hired by has the 333 Exemption, and therefore can contact ATC directly & get authorization in a few days.
They also sent in about 9 Unlock requests from DJI, which then shows in my Unlock list in the Go software.

When I got on site- within a couple of blocks from the airport for the first one, I still couldn't start my motors.
After reading some posts online I found that once I got the confirmation about a successful Unlock, all I had to do was turn OFF the GEO lock setting in Go.

I then was able to fly at all 6 sites.
One of which was about 30' from the fence of the airfield.
I was told to keep to 100' or less when over there.
It was an interesting experience working that close to an airport.
But with permission....
Thx for that tip jephoto. I would def have permission from the airport along with having my buddy who is a 107 there too.

It's different with DJI GO 4 app for the P4 and up. You can't just turn off Geo any more. Totally nannified.
Well that really sucks. Totally.
Then how do you fly in Authorization zones once you actually HAVE Authorization?

Until I turned it off my motors wouldn't start.

Well that really sucks. Totally.
Then how do you fly in Authorization zones once you actually HAVE Authorization?
Until I turned it off my motors wouldn't start.

When you start the app and the drone in a restricted area, you'll see a pop up on the app screen saying it's a restricted zone. You'll have the option to "unlock" that particular restricted zone but it requires an internet connection to do so. Tough beans if you're way out in the country with no handy WiFi or cell data. You have to be logged in to the app (don't forget your password) and go through the rigamarole. Even after unlocking it, you'll still see a popup every time you want to take off in that zone, and you have to check two boxes to confirm you have permission and that you take full responsibility and then a third tap to confirm. Total PITA. As I said, it even hassles me when inside my house if I want to start the motors. My take on it is that DJI is afraid of being sued or even prosecuted if some dope does something illegal or hurts someone or damages property with one of their products, and that's what this is all about.

Yes a true waste of time especially since DJI don't do any cross check on the info they have on you... or the place you are flying. It's CYA only. They have no business "regulating" foreign airspace... or ANY airspace. If Anything they should just have a password sign on when you want to startup so some can track down the owner (idiot) who caused the trouble

When you start the app and the drone in a restricted area, you'll see a pop up on the app screen saying it's a restricted zone. You'll have the option to "unlock" that particular restricted zone but it requires an internet connection to do so. Tough beans if you're way out in the country with no handy WiFi or cell data. You have to be logged in to the app (don't forget your password) and go through the rigamarole. Even after unlocking it, you'll still see a popup every time you want to take off in that zone, and you have to check two boxes to confirm you have permission and that you take full responsibility and then a third tap to confirm. Total PITA. As I said, it even hassles me when inside my house if I want to start the motors. My take on it is that DJI is afraid of being sued or even prosecuted if some dope does something illegal or hurts someone or damages property with one of their products, and that's what this is all about.
This does not work for the RED Zones though! With DJI app!

As was mentioned, using information easily available on the Internet you can simply disable all NFZ restrictions. If you do this it is of course incumbent on the operator to be especially vigilant about where they are flying, obtaining proper permission, etc. Not an ideal solution but DJI has left commercial operators who need flexibility and can exercise their own personal responsibility with little other choice.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik