Can't stop random drift

Reaction score
I have a new Phantom 1. Have just about over an hour of quad flight time. Used to fly RC planes. I have done multiple Basic and Advanced GPS calibration. Done the compass dance a million times, the the drone just loves to drift. Its unfortunate, since I am looking for something that is a stable platform to take videos and stills with. Calibrated the transmitter too. Everything is right on the money, except the drone drift. Please can someone give some suggestions???

Have you done an IMU calibration?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

My Phantom flies much better if I do the compass dance AFTER the initial IMU warm-up period rather than before. If you've been doing the compass calibration before the 20 green flashes it might not be calibrating correctly.

i did the full IMU on pc on not 100% horizontal table and it drifted , till i put a level on the landing gear and by setting paper shings level it to 0 and drifting went away, did full IMU, Note i had a small crash before

Why are so many folks having issues like this lately? :confused: Mine wanders all over the place.
It really makes it difficult to catch in high winds. :eek:

Welcome to the forum Denise.

FYI: The P1 is very similar to the FC40. You can learn a great deal by visiting those forums as well.
This is a great way to find things here. Enter your text in the middle of the page, not at the top.

https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl?cx=014775389315664725445:ejku2ysgyhi

Last edited:
I am going to to another IMU calibration later today using a level and see what happens.

I checked the table out for level, found one direction is .9 degrees out of level. I used paper to get it to within .2 degrees level in both directions. Re calibrated and it is now flying a bit better I am going to try to get it perfect yet and see if that makes it 100%. I have noticed that if I fly back and forth it does seem to loose altitude, is that normal ??

Just got back from flying. Made a great difference in flying. Flew the entire battery without a crash, made a bunch of soft landings. Still have the same question, overall does the drone loose some altitude when flying?

Just got back from flying. Made a great difference in flying. Flew the entire battery without a crash, made a bunch of soft landings. Still have the same question, overall does the drone loose some altitude when flying?

Good news, no crashing... :D
There are at least a few threads discussing the Phantom being perfectly level, and stationary during an Advanced IMU Calibration. Personally, I think it is important. See the link in my signature?

To answer your question, it's not supposed to loose or gain altitude unless you push or pull on the throttle.
Mine has issues with that sometimes too. How does one remedy that? I am a man without a clue. :(

Reactions: DeniseBrun

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic