Can't get motors to full power

Reaction score
Been flying for months; had first crash, hit a pole. Repaired landing gears; re-calibrated all. Next flight all motors not as peppy. Re-cal again. Searched web, learned I might need to bang the inner controller on a solid object. Carefully removed wires from the flight controller, got tape unstuck!!! Banged it as instructed. Reassembled carefully. Re-calibrated. A little better for a while but not enough power to just go up as fast as used to.

Saw some posts on line that it might be an ESC, but I wouldn't think all 4 of these went bad. How would I tell if it was just one bad one. Heard a motor either works or it doesn't. I certainly appreciate any help, and thank you in advance for taking the time. Love this bird and miss its pep... Frankly, I miss my own pep (at 63)... Tony

Hey Tony, Welcome to the forum.

What changes did you make during your repairs? Saying you've run low on poop makes me think you put poopy props on.
Any more info? More info = better replies.

Hey Tony, Welcome to the forum.

What changes did you make during your repairs? Saying you've run low on poop makes me think you put poopy props on.
Any more info? More info = better replies.

After repairing the landing gears, I re-calibrated. No change in props at this point. When went to fly, I just did not have the power for the Phantom to rise quickly (as before the crash). Re-calibrated and tried again. Same thing.

Then I researched the web and it was suggested to carefully remove the NAZA M module and bang it on one side on a table or board. Took photos to make sure I got all wires back right. Then recalibrated. Flew and felt I had good power back. Took off the basic white props and put on some new black carbon fiber props. Flew and not the same. Thought it might be those new props. Put the white props back on and flew this afternoon. Seemed to be ok at first, but then it would not lift very powerfully, and almost crashed because when descending, I could barely slow it down.

This thing has flown great for months with no crashes or problems. That's why I'm confused what the problem is. I would not think it's all the ESCs.

And I appreciate your time.

My pleasure, you're welcome, but I don't know what your answer is.

As far as I know, motors and ESCs either work or they don't.
I've also heard of banging the NAZA but have not done it.

You talk of calibration. Is that the bird or the controller, and are we talking Advanced IMU or what?
I read where you said "ALL".

You may want to look at the plane of your props. Perhaps the impact changed the direction of thrust of one or more motors. That could be remedied with a new shell.

When you plug the Phantom into a computer and run the Assistant software, did you verify that all the controls go to +/- 1000?

You should also check the other settings and make sure nothing is limited below the defaults.

Reactions: IflyinWY
I do full calibration each time so as not to miss anything. First the remote then the phantom. The collision only stripped out screws in 2 landing gears. I chose to remove all and use epoxy to strengthen them. (Once inside, I was somewhat disappointed at how weak some of the plastic shell is.)

The outer shell is ok. All props not damaged. Flew great with same props before the damage. I'm taking it to a repair shop tomorrow to see if they can figure it out. I mean, this thing used to take off, up and away, very quickly. I've been reading posts where I can, and see no similar issues. Thanks again.

Tony,
This has popped up a time or two, and I have yet to hear a good explanation as to why and how to fix it.
Please let us know what solves the problem.
Thanks

Calibrate the TX with RC assistant 1.2 then with Naza Assistant too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers