Can't focus raw pictures?

Reaction score
Sorry guys, I know this has been beat to death, but I still don't understand how to focus raw pictures? the jpegs are in focus. After loading them on the computer, I can zoom in on a jpeg and it will refocus, but raw pictures won't and aren't in very good focus when first taken. I would love to be able to use raw format for post, but its useless if I can't focus it. I've tried photo shop Sharpening but that doesn't work? any help would be appreciated. I'm flying p3p, Mavic and inspire 2
Fletch

I'm not sure I follow, surely the focus is the same for both formats, you're taking them off the SD card?
Yes, I'm taking them off the card and loading them into the computer. When I zoom in on the jpeg, it for a moment is out of focus but clears up. Not so with then raw picture?

Sorry guys, I know this has been beat to death, but I still don't understand how to focus raw pictures? the jpegs are in focus. After loading them on the computer, I can zoom in on a jpeg and it will refocus, but raw pictures won't and aren't in very good focus when first taken. I would love to be able to use raw format for post, but its useless if I can't focus it. I've tried photo shop Sharpening but that doesn't work? any help would be appreciated. I'm flying p3p, Mavic and inspire 2
Fletch
The jpeg images are derived from the RAW images. If the RAW images were out of focus, the JPEG images would also be out of focus. What app (and version) are you using to view and manipulate the RAW files? It may be as simple as getting an update to that app to correctly work with DJI RAW files.

Sorry Mudcat, not my area of expertise, I know Windows can mess with pictures to it's own ends, but I'll leave it to someone more competent than myself to answer your query.
Thank you!
The jpeg images are derived from the RAW images. If the RAW images were out of focus, the JPEG images would also be out of focus. What app (and version) are you using to view and manipulate the RAW files? It may be as simple as getting an update to that app to correctly work with DJI RAW files.
I'm viewing the pictures on an pc laptop windows 10 and an imac.

Yes, I'm taking them off the card and loading them into the computer. When I zoom in on the jpeg, it for a moment is out of focus but clears up. Not so with then raw picture?
There is no focus on the P3 camera.
Unless you are very, very close to your subject, everything should be in focus whether you are looking at raw or jpg.
Perhaps it's a problem with whatever software you are using?

Fletch

Hi! Try apply the correct camera profile in Lr/PS (there is profile for Phantoms in Adobe CC).
The thing is, with raw you get all the info collected by sensor. In jpeg, the sharpening, WB, etc are allredy in file and applied and can't be changed w/o degrading quality (an thats the reason for shoot raw).

Raw on screen is allways an interpretation (raw by itself isn't visual file) , and the computer in import process applies the default amount of settings (sharpening/saturation/hue etc) for particular camera (if camera is recognized/supported by this software).
Next step is to add additional tweaks according Your feel anc artistic goals.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Mudcat
Hi! Try apply the correct camera profile in Lr/PS (there is profile for Phantoms in Adobe CC).
The thing is, with raw you get all the info collected by sensor. In jpeg, the sharpening, WB, etc are allredy in file and applied and can't be changed w/o degrading quality (an thats the reason for shoot raw).
:)
Raw on screen is allways an interpretation (raw by itself isn't visual file) , and the computer in import process applies the default amount of settings (sharpening/saturation/hue etc) for particular camera (if camera is recognized/supported by this software).
Next step is to add additional tweaks according Your feel anc artistic goals.

Thank you! I hope I can find the camera profile! up until now I have been taking screen shots from 4k movie. If I can get this to work it could change my life:) Thanks again

In Lr, they are in Develop module/Lens corrections:
8e7fff5dad04a8a00b7eab8c2c619998.jpg

Any luck on this? I tried the profile and it didn't help for me at all. I had good lighting today so I know it's not that. It was windy but it seemed to be steady at the time of the shot. I wish I would have tried jpg today. Frustrating for sure.

Mudcat- I take it you aren't a photographer- or weren't prior to flying?
You are confusing FOCUS with SHARPENING.
Jpgs are processed in camera. With a profile that sets the color, contrast and SHARPENING and applies that to the raw file and gives you a Processed image.
The RAW file gives you everything the sensor can do, and it's up to you to set the parameters to interpret the file.
If the JPG is in focus, so is the raw file. But you need to set the Sharpening setting in the Detail tab in Lightroom. The default settings in Lightroom get you close, but for the tiny inferior sensor of the P3 you need to work with it more.
And how much depends on how and how large you want to use the final file.
There's LOTS of tutorials about Sharpening on YouTube. Look st some.
Experiment.
Also Clarity settings can add some sharpness as well, but use it sparingly.

What Sharpening does to a raw image is accentuate the contrast right on the line between areas of lower and higher tonal values. Thus making the fine detail stand out more to the eye. Appearing Sharper.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Jpgs are processed in camera. With a profile that sets the color, contrast and SHARPENING and applies that to the raw file and gives you a Processed image.
The RAW file gives you everything the sensor can do, and it's up to you to set the parameters to interpret the file.
If the JPG is in focus, so is the raw file. But you need to set the Sharpening setting in the Detail tab in Lightroom. The default settings in Lightroom get you close, but for the tiny inferior sensor of the P3 you need to work with it more.
Experiment.

What Sharpening does to a raw image is accentuate the contrast right on the line between areas of lower and higher tonal values. Thus making the fine detail stand out more to the eye. Appearing Sharper.

Thank You!

Experiment.

Thank you, as I was reading the thread I was hoping someone would jump in and add that you cannot adjust "focus" in post-processing.
Just a mix-up in the terminology.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj