Canadian planning on flying in the USA

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I'm from Canada and fly my Phantom 4 and Phantom 4 Pro strictly recreationally. As such, I don't hold any kind of special permits. I just use common sense and obey local laws.

I would like to bring my drone to the United States and fly around there. Do I need any kind of special FAA permit or clearance to use my drone in the United States? Would the border guards/homeland security hassle me for even trying to bring it across the border?

Reactions: Rudder Bug
Since the courts shot down hobby registration, you don't need any special permits or paperwork to fly recreationally in the US. You will need to observe the usual restrictions about flying near airports etc. And local ordinances can be confusing. The forum will be a good place to get help on FAA issues at a particular location, but you'll have to check with local authorities about any city or county resrictions on where you can takeoff and land. Welcome, hope you enjoy your visit.

Because you are foreign, you will need to follow the policy for foreigners drone pilots.

From the link provided by Numone above...

7. I'm a foreign national and want to fly my UAS in the U.S. on vacation. Do I have to register before flying?

If you are a foreign national and you are not eligible to register your sUAS in the United States there are two ways for you to operate. If you want to operate your UAS exclusively in accordance with the Special Rule for Model Aircraft you are not required to register your UAS. If you are not operating for commercial purposes and but also not operating exclusively in compliance with the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, you must complete the steps in the web-based registration process to obtain a "recognition of ownership" from the FAA. Alternatively, if you want to operate your UAS for commercial purposes, you must register your UAS in the country in which you are eligible to register and obtain operating authority from the Department of Transportation.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT