Canadian drone rules

Reaction score
I was doing some reading about the restrictions of drones in Canada.
Less than 250g, 250g to 1kg is one weight catergory, 1kg up to 35kg is the other.
250g is just over a lb, 1kg is 2.2 lbs.
The p3 weights 1250g ish, with battery, battery is 350g ish.
With the limit from cars being 100ft for 250g to 1kg and 250 ft for 1kg up, do you think there will be issues staying with the 100ft guideline.
Has anyone been charged with flying their drone to close to cars, people, etc.

If I go with 250 feet, I cant even fly around in my backyard.

Any input would be great. And I guess most important thing. Don't post videos of you breaking any laws.

Less than 250g, 250g to 1kg is one weight catergory, 1kg up to 35kg is the other.
With the limit from cars being 100ft for 250g to 1kg and 250 ft for 1kg up, do you think there will be issues staying with the 100ft guideline.

Any input would be great. And I guess most important thing. Don't post videos of you breaking any laws.
The P3 falls into the 1kg to 35kg category so its 250ft (76m).

Flying your drone safely and legally - Transport Canada

As mentioned by 3rdof5, phantom class restricts you to 76m (safe distance - radius).

I haven't heard of anyone getting fined for breaking this rule, however in the remote case where you do end up damaging private property or hurting someone, you're definitely on the hook (because in that instance you would be breaking this rule).

Same applies for flying any higher than 90m, farther than 500m, in conditions of poor visibility (night / fog), flying in restricted airspace.

Use this map (remember to select "model aircraft / recreational drone") to see restricted airspace:

UAV Site Selection Tool - National Research Council Canada

Last edited:
Reactions: 3rdof5
I use that map everytime I'm planning a flight somewhere new. The majority of Canadian airspace is fairly restricted but there are gaps where one can fly safely and legally. Use common sense, don't fly over people or their vehicles, basically, ask yourself, if it drops from the sky what will it hit? If there's no chance of any 3rd party damage or injury you are pretty safe.

Reactions: Timinator
Here's an example, I recently drove over a bridge over a river here and saw what looked like a great spot to fly. Using the map noted above i checked and found the following:
Screenshot_20181121-180925_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20181121-180948_Chrome.jpg

In the second image i zoomed into "prospectors point" and found i can fly legally there. When i started the motors i got a warning message saying "class g air space fly with caution" which means, in Canada, the airspace is completely uncontrolled so any AC can fly but be ready to give way. Here's the video from the flight:

There was no one else there when i took off but during flight a woman arrived and walked her dogs, as you can see in the video, upon returning I was now too close to someone else, I politely asked her if it was safe for me to land back on my pad and she said yes go ahead, ive got a hold of my dogs. Which I then quickly and safely landed. Now, did I break the law? Technically I suppose so, was I negligent? Unsafe? No. If there had been a peace officer thereI seriously doubt there would have been any legal issues.

Hi, Welcome to this site where you will learn a great deal about your aircraft and flying from others who have a good deal of experience.
I have found this site to be of great assistance over the years whenever I have run into a problem that I needed a hand with.

I'm Canadian as well and have been flying DJI quadcopters for about 5 years now.
Phantom 2s,3s, and am now flying the Phantom 4 Pro.
I do quite a bit of real estate work as well as photography for my own enjoyment.

Your questions concerning Transport Canada's regulations regarding drone operations are worthy of a detailed response.

When Transport Canada came in with regulations on drone flying, they did so without much consultation with those of us who are responsible pilots AND who fly their drones a lot.
Currently, Canadian regulations have a 300 foot altitude restriction; no flying within 5.5 kms. of any airport; and no flying after sunset or beyond visual range.
You should maintain at least a 150 foot altitude above people,houses,animals, ships and trains.

I must say that I agree with most of these restrictions, but not all.

When Transport Canada came in with these regulations, they did so when drone technology was at a certain level. Those levels have now been surpassed.
My Phantom 4 Pro easily has the range and the navigational ability to fly 2 or 3 kilometres away from me and at altitudes far beyond the current 300 foot restriction.

As for operating your drone after sunset, I don't believe there should be a restriction on that either. With current navigational systems on board as well as navigation lights, my P4P can easily operate at night and it captures beautiful still shots or video.

I would sure hope that Transport Canada will 'revisit' and modify the current rules to reflect the capabilities of many of the latest drones.
The latest word from Ottawa is that the rules will be modified.

Finally, as for who is tasked with enforcing these rules...........that would be your local or regional police department. Transport Canada, right from the beginning, has downloaded enforcement of the rules to local police departments.
And, I can tell you that many police departments aren't even aware that drone operating rules are now their responsibility.

Safe flying.........

Reactions: 3rdof5
Wow. Lots of information. Thanks all.
With the 76m restriction, I cant bring my p3 to the back yard and fly it around and I cant fly over my house and check my shingles.
I'm sure I will not get into any trouble, if I am flying smart and taking it easy.
But if those are the rules, I can still get charged. And that would suck.
That map will be good to.have. thanks

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart