Canada

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm going to Canada this summer and want to take my Phantom 4 with me. But what are the travel restricitons for planes, I'm flying with air Canada. And what are the rules for flying in Canada, do I need to register my drone?

I'll wait for the anwser. Same thing will happen to me in the next year and wonder what are the rules

Hello I am a Canuk - new to this forum and see that there is no answers in the thread? Best place to go is our FAA - Transport Canada. From what I gather it appears that we have similar rules as you do in the states.

Fly your drone:
  • below 90 m above the ground
  • at least 30 m away from vehicles, vessels and the public (if your drone weighs over 250 g and up to 1 kg)
  • at least 75 m away from vehicles, vessels and the public (if your drone weighs over 1 kg and up to 35 kg)
  • at least 5.5 km away from aerodromes (any airport, seaplane base or area where aircraft take off and land)
  • at least 1.8 km away from heliports or aerodromes used by helicopters only
  • outside of controlled or restricted airspace
  • at least 9 km away from a natural hazard or disaster area
  • away from areas where its use could interfere with police or first responders
  • during the day and not in clouds
  • within your sight at all times
  • within 500 m of yourself
  • only if clearly marked with your name, address and telephone number
Remember...These are the recreational guidelines.

July 2018 they plan on making some more changes so feel free to ask me again in a bit.

Hello I am a Canuk - new to this forum and see that there is no answers in the thread? Best place to go is our FAA - Transport Canada. From what I gather it appears that we have similar rules as you do in the states.

Fly your drone:
  • below 90 m above the ground
  • at least 30 m away from vehicles, vessels and the public (if your drone weighs over 250 g and up to 1 kg)
  • at least 75 m away from vehicles, vessels and the public (if your drone weighs over 1 kg and up to 35 kg)
  • at least 5.5 km away from aerodromes (any airport, seaplane base or area where aircraft take off and land)
  • at least 1.8 km away from heliports or aerodromes used by helicopters only
  • outside of controlled or restricted airspace
  • at least 9 km away from a natural hazard or disaster area
  • away from areas where its use could interfere with police or first responders
  • during the day and not in clouds
  • within your sight at all times
  • within 500 m of yourself
  • only if clearly marked with your name, address and telephone number
Remember...These are the recreational guidelines.

July 2018 they plan on making some more changes so feel free to ask me again in a bit.

Why do you say July 2018? I’ve been looking for months but haven’t been able to discover the likely release date for the new regulations.

Hi St. John's,

The proposal for the new regulations was highlighted in the Canada Gazette, July 2017. I noted July simply as a reference to the anniversary of these proposed regulations however it is unknown when the regulations will change or if they will for that matter. Further to the published findings in the Gazette, the introduction of new regulations will save money time and effort to re-issue the anticipated 11,000 Special Flight Operation Certificates (SFOCs) in 2018 in Canada. Our American friends should realize that is a significant number of SFOCs in relation to the population.

Proposed regulations are highlighted here:
Proposed rules for drones in Canada - Transport Canada

Hi St. John's,

The proposal for the new regulations was highlighted in the Canada Gazette, July 2017. I noted July simply as a reference to the anniversary of these proposed regulations however it is unknown when the regulations will change or if they will for that matter. Further to the published findings in the Gazette, the introduction of new regulations will save money time and effort to re-issue the anticipated 11,000 Special Flight Operation Certificates (SFOCs) in 2018 in Canada. Our American friends should realize that is a significant number of SFOCs in relation to the population.

Proposed regulations are highlighted here:
Proposed rules for drones in Canada - Transport Canada
Even if published in July 2018, the regulations will not take effect until January, 2019.
"27 These Regulations come into force on the day that, in the sixth month, has the same calendar number as the day on which they are registered or, if that sixth month has no day with that number, the last day of that sixth month."-taken from the Coming into Force section of the Canada Gazette.

Reactions: 3DSurveyor

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj