Canada' proposed new 2018 drone rules

Your people are good with the numbers. The money and the time it takes to process everything. Wow! I finally stopped reading, did they see the potential that the economy benefits from drones? People make more money, people spend more money and the government gets more money.

Yes, but it looks like the new ceiling is 400 feet (121.92 m), so not a huge difference. The full proposed regulations are here: Canada Gazette – Regulations Amending the Canadian Aviation Regulations (Unmanned Aircraft Systems)

We (non-recreational users) have had this 400' ceiling since day one however additionally, small UA (complex operations) also have the added ceiling of 100' above a building or structure. If we are inspecting a 400' tower, this allows one the ability to go over the top of this tower. Some common sense that manned aircraft have more to worry about if they are flying 100' over a tower than our little UAV. When filing NOTAMs for UAV use, I have always noted the heights of the tower or building we were inspecting.

Also, night operations are allowed (with conditions) and the ability to have BVLOS is not completely dismissed but will remain within the SFOC process (useful for pipeline inspection and such).

We (non-recreational users) have had this 400' ceiling since day one however additionally, small UA (complex operations) also have the added ceiling of 100' above a building or structure. If we are inspecting a 400' tower, this allows one the ability to go over the top of this tower. Some common sense that manned aircraft have more to worry about if they are flying 100' over a tower than our little UAV. When filing NOTAMs for UAV use, I have always noted the heights of the tower or building we were inspecting.

Also, night operations are allowed (with conditions) and the ability to have BVLOS is not completely dismissed but will remain within the SFOC process (useful for pipeline inspection and such).
But you also had to SFOC pretty much anything if you were commercial. I'm assuming you probably got a standing SFOC?

Just finished a TP-15263 approved training course on the weekend. Lots of info and I'm now looking into filing my first SFOC in the coming months. During the course the instructor thought that the regs would be published in June. If that is the case, they would become effective six months later. Big changes ahead.

3DSurveyor, did you apply for the SFOC yourself or have an outside agency write it for you?

For our first SFOC application we had the good folks at the Foremost UAS Training Center assist us. If you have not heard of Foremost it is worthwhile checking it out.

the first Restricted airspace for UAV flights in North America (from my knowledge there is only one other in the world in Europe) and a test range for BVLOS flights.

Foremost, Alta. reaches ‘milestone’ in Canadian aviation history

For our first SFOC application we had the good folks at the Foremost UAS Training Center assist us. If you have not heard of Foremost it is worthwhile checking it out.

the first Restricted airspace for UAV flights in North America (from my knowledge there is only one other in the world in Europe) and a test range for BVLOS flights.

Foremost, Alta. reaches ‘milestone’ in Canadian aviation history
Thanks for the info about Foremost; I will check them out.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.