Canada PART IX - What does it all mean?

Reaction score
I've spent months now (years actually) since they started trying to regulate . . trying to understand what the new Canadian Air Regulations PART IX is and how it applies to where and how I want to fly. There's a lot of legal stuff and repetitive words . . so Cutting through all of that took some time. I've just published a quick reference guide in easy to understand PLAIN ENGLISH. You can download it here. Let me know if it helps.

Reactions: 3rdof5 and sarniac
I've spent months now (years actually) since they started trying to regulate . . trying to understand what the new Canadian Air Regulations PART IX is and how it applies to where and how I want to fly. There's a lot of legal stuff and repetitive words . . so Cutting through all of that took some time. I've just published a quick reference guide in easy to understand PLAIN ENGLISH. You can download it here. Let me know if it helps.
Hi David, that's great that your assisting others. Well done!
Just a heads up ,the title has a typo "Done License" aka Drone Licence ( Canadian spelling for noun)
Also a question 1. is flying legally ...ok nice 2. Seems to indicate to fly commercially the advanced exam is required. Is this what your saying?
I can find no reference to that in the proposed rules from TC ,nor the proposed CARS changes( SOR2019/11)
I was thinking a Basic certified pilot could engage in a commercial operation by following the proposed rules.
Did I miss something?

Hi David, that's great that your assisting others. Well done!
Just a heads up ,the title has a typo "Done License" aka Drone Licence ( Canadian spelling for noun)
Also a question 1. is flying legally ...ok nice 2. Seems to indicate to fly commercially the advanced exam is required. Is this what your saying?
I can find no reference to that in the proposed rules from TC ,nor the proposed CARS changes( SOR2019/11)
I was thinking a Basic certified pilot could engage in a commercial operation by following the proposed rules.
Did I miss something?
Yes by your reading you can fly commercially with a basic . . but there's not much you can do that is >100 ft from everything and no where near airports heliports or >200ft from buildings. Just have your doc set with you, do a site survey, follow a checklist and land if an airplane approaches . . keep flight records (1yr) . . and maintenance records (2yr) redo your test every 2 yrs and fly safely. your fine. . . but then ther's that sticky "Manufacturer's Declaration" thing . . Othere than that you're fine. The only thing different for Advanced is you need to show you know a bit more about general aviation to get closer, and then the rest of commercial ops is open to you.

Yes by your reading you can fly commercially with a basic . . but there's not much you can do that is >100 ft from everything and no where near airports heliports or >200ft from buildings. Just have your doc set with you, do a site survey, follow a checklist and land if an airplane approaches . . keep flight records (1yr) . . and maintenance records (2yr) redo your test every 2 yrs and fly safely. your fine. . . but then ther's that sticky "Manufacturer's Declaration" thing . . Othere than that you're fine. The only thing different for Advanced is you need to show you know a bit more about general aviation to get closer, and then the rest of commercial ops is open to you.
At present I have a Standing SFOC for Canada for last 4 years, so the mandatory groundschool and certificate, ROC A, VHF radio, charts, CFS ,etc ,so personally familiar and the new regs of course impact our operations as we will no longer be able to contact Nav Canada and fly in controlled airspace. But where are the regs for the " >100 ft from everything" and ">200ft from buildings"? other than 100 ft from persons.
Also from what I see, Basic flights don't require "Manufacturer's Declaration" commercial or recreational.
Do you believe that's incorrect?

You can still fly in Class C but only with ADV certificate and an a/c with manufacturers declaration if you follow the extra advanced rules or you are stuck with basic that say 200ft from Bldg see 901.25

You can still fly in Class C but only with ADV certificate and an a/c with manufacturers declaration if you follow the extra advanced rules or you are stuck with basic that say 200ft from Bldg see 901.25
Exactly, as I said in post #4, I fly now in C Jun can't without Advanced Cert. and aircraft
the way I read 901.25 is , as it is under the title of Max.Altitude, that max altitude is 400 feet OR
100 feet ABOVE the structure if within 200 feet horizontally. Doesn't seem to restrict distance to building at all.
Thanks for your input.What do you think?

I think you are right 901.25 is only about altitude near bldgs otherwise just stay 100ft away from everything incl people except your crew (901.26)... no overflights of ANY people.. . Incl crew... so even simple commercial job would be pretty hard to not violate (901.62). You would have to have a mfg declared machine. And DJI is holding off since the STD 922 is only draft

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31