Can you use phantom components in different setup for DSLR

Reaction score
Is there anyway I can remove the components within the phantom and add it to a bigger frame to lift a DSLR? What is limiting the phantom from lifting a dslr other than the body? Motors, blades or some other component within the chopper? Would it be possible to use a different frame say for a hexacopter or octocopter using everything in phantom and just adding additional motors. Thanks

Re: Can you use phantom components in different setup for DS

You could do that. The problem is that the motors in the phantom are for finesse and agility as opposed to those in the S800 which are for payload. You could take the guts out of the phantom and put on a frame. Given the work required to do so, it might be easier to sell the phantom for a larger hex with the strength you need.

You can put the motors and ESC's from the Phantom on any frame they'll bolt/strap to, but you're still not going to be able to lift much more than what you can with it right now. No frame will grant you to the ability to lift DSLR-grade equipment with the Phantom's stock gear. Even if it could be pushed to produce enough thrust on paper, using a 3S batt through 18-Amp ESC's wont give you the flow of power you'll need to fly/maneuver with that class of payload (and probably burn out the ESC's in the process).

What you could do is get the ATF kit with the F550 (includes motors and ESC's) and use the NAZA and Tx/Rx from your Phantom. But even a F550 would need better motors and other upgrades (stiffer arms, etc) to get a full DSLR up in the air. You can use one to fly something like the Sony NEX3/5, but for a DSLR you'll need to look at something even beefier than that.

JosephILM said:
Is there anyway I can remove the components within the phantom and add it to a bigger frame to lift a DSLR? What is limiting the phantom from lifting a dslr other than the body? Motors, blades or some other component within the chopper? Would it be possible to use a different frame say for a hexacopter or octocopter using everything in phantom and just adding additional motors. Thanks

If you're willing to do that kind of work, I'd recommend buying and building a bigger kit.
On another note, I have seen someone on YouTube lift a DSLR with a stock Phantom. It had trouble and his battery was limited to a couple of minutes. ;P

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20