Can you fly a drone in Texas?

Reaction score
1649406241129.png

Because Texas is usually the outlier when it comes to US laws in general, it wouldn’t come as a surprise if they were a state that banned drones completely.

However, I got good news for you. Drones are absolutely legal in Texas but are subject to several laws and regulations by the FAA and various local authorities (For more details, check this guide)

Did you fly a drone in Texas before? How was your experience? Share it in the comments below!

Reactions: Gagey52
I have been flying in Texas since 2014 and there are places in Texas that you can't fly like in Houston city limits ,
you can't take off from Corp Of Engineers land and any State Parks and all of the FAA laws and rules apply .
But there are some very cool places like Toledo Bend Lake where I asked and got permission to fly from the director of the Sabine River Authority.
If you follow the FAA guidelines and get permission before you fly , I have found Texas to be very drone friendly .
It all comes down to a general rule we have always had here in Texas " Show respect , and you will get respect ."
I live and fly mostly in East Texas and always ask land owners before I fly most were very friendly and interested in
how it all worked , but a few have said when I asked I would rather you didn't and I respect that . I am strictly a
hobby flyer and always do my very best to stay within the rules to keep the hobby free for those who love it .

I have been flying in Texas since 2014 and there are places in Texas that you can't fly like in Houston city limits ,
you can't take off from Corp Of Engineers land and any State Parks and all of the FAA laws and rules apply .
But there are some very cool places like Toledo Bend Lake where I asked and got permission to fly from the director of the Sabine River Authority.
If you follow the FAA guidelines and get permission before you fly , I have found Texas to be very drone friendly .
It all comes down to a general rule we have always had here in Texas " Show respect , and you will get respect ."
I live and fly mostly in East Texas and always ask land owners before I fly most were very friendly and interested in
how it all worked , but a few have said when I asked I would rather you didn't and I respect that . I am strictly a
hobby flyer and always do my very best to stay within the rules to keep the hobby free for those who love it .
Can you cite the law prohibiting drone flight in Houston city limits?
TX HB 1643 Sec.A423.009 b) Except as provided by Subsection (c), a political subdivision may not adopt or enforce any ordinance, order, or other similar measure regarding the operation of an unmanned aircraft.
I don't live in Houston, but I am sure we would have heard plenty if the city of Houston outlawed all drone flights.

TX HB 1643 Sec.A423.009 b) Except as provided by Subsection (c), a political subdivision may not adopt or enforce any ordinance, order, or other similar measure regarding the operation of an unmanned aircraft.
I don't live in Houston, but I am sure we would have heard plenty if the city of Houston outlawed all drone flights.
Yes but they can ban takeoff and landing.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic