Can we use a P3 remote for the p4 to get better range?

Some people have tried this and reported the range was improved. However, there are a bunch of other people who are seeing great results using the P4 remote controller. And, for ~$100, you could also install a better antenna on the remote controller.

Some people have tried this and reported the range was improved. However, there are a bunch of other people who are seeing great results using the P4 remote controller. And, for ~$100, you could also install a better antenna on the remote controller.
i know....but what if we use that mod on a phantom 3 remote to control the phantom 4? mind blown? :p
Furthermore could you please give me those links to people who reported improvement?

It's a known fact that the Phantom 4 remote controller is less powerful than the Phantom 3 remote controller. And, the same is true when you compare the latest Phantom 3 remote controller to the first version of the Phantom 3 remote controller. Even though, I've never seen a conclusive test that shows there is a noticeable difference range-wise between all of these remote controllers.

Sorry -- I don't have a link to those posts.

It's a known fact that the Phantom 4 remote controller is less powerful than the Phantom 3 remote controller. And, the same is true when you compare the latest Phantom 3 remote controller to the first version of the Phantom 3 remote controller. Even though, I've never seen a conclusive test that shows there is a noticeable difference range-wise between all of these remote controllers.

but are you sure its the remote? It might be the ability to receive on the phantom 4 is reduced.
Could you link me some posts about this?

Personally, I think it has more to do with interference in the flying area than anything else. Some people are just blaming the issue on under powered remote controllers. It gets interesting when other people take those same remote controllers and fly pretty impressive long distance flights with them.

well i have a p3 remote coming in, i will get it wednesday. will do some testings since i want to modify it for the longer range mod.

That is totally arguable, in fact, DJI has shown the P4 controller to put out a nominal amount of more power, it's slight but I read the thing on here, wish I knew how to find it, in essence the rep. stated the DJI numbers and it does appear the P4 remote puts out slightly more power then the P3

well i have a p3 remote coming in, i will get it wednesday. will do some testings since i want to modify it for the longer range mod.
I have a P3 remote with the Itlite antenna mod, I've not even used my P4 remote yet. Everything works, although obviously the icons don't match up, the actual settings are still the same, even though the P3 remote says "play" or, shows the icon, when connected to the P4 it instead pauses the mission, or pauses the bird, same with the "sport" mode, instead of "F" it indeed just clicks to sport mode, you'll be fine

I have a P3 remote with the Itlite antenna mod, I've not even used my P4 remote yet. Everything works, although obviously the icons don't match up, the actual settings are still the same, even though the P3 remote says "play" or, shows the icon, when connected to the P4 it instead pauses the mission, or pauses the bird, same with the "sport" mode, instead of "F" it indeed just clicks to sport mode, you'll be fine
i know, but thanks. The thing i am curious about is the stock range if it will improve. i will do 2 short flights of around 5 minutes on the same video screen recording, and showing me switching the remotes.
In any case even if it does not improve, i still need to have the p4 remote in case i need warrenty.

i know, but thanks. The thing i am curious about is the stock range if it will improve. i will do 2 short flights of around 5 minutes on the same video screen recording, and showing me switching the remotes.
In any case even if it does not improve, i still need to have the p4 remote in case i need warrenty.
Oh, lol ok, I see now. I doubt it but you can mod remote out like I did and not ruin warranty. Funny you said that because that's exactly what happened to me, after I modded the remote I decided I liked the hobby and wanted a P4, I went on EBay and won a P3 remote to put in the return box for my exchange.
As a side note, I couldn't find the remote binding button, the P4 utilizes a cool dual function light/button lol, so the light is actually the button, pretty cool albeit confusing for about a minute or two

Somebody posted the following link in another thread in another forum:

FCC ID Search

If you get your id off the back of your device and enter it in the box, you'll get more info than you could believe. At the bottom of the page, you'll see the peak output power of your device in wattage.

I'll start.

The peak output of my P2V+ controller is .062 watts (62 milliwatts).

I have conducted the first test on channel 20 set. Keeping both remotes on exactly the same position during the whole flight close to the ground and not pointed to the craft to minimize the range to test it close to me.
In my first test it seems the phantom 4 remote is more powerful then the phantom 3 remote by i would say 10-20% or so. Again: this can be true because dji can boost the power in firmware probaly.

I will do another test tommorow on auto channel so it can decide for itself where it is clean to submit signals and then see if it got improved on either remotes.
I made video's to proof this and will do another video tommorow.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl