Can video metadata be accessed somewhere?

rfc

Reaction score
During flight, I can see ISO and shutter speed for video on the controller screen. If I capture a frame, I'm 99% sure that EXIF data is in the image and that I can access it later when doing post. But there's no such data there for video. Only date, pixel size and file size. I'd like to have ISO, shutter speed, and some of the other settings.

Is any of that other meta data for video available anywhere?

During flight, I can see ISO and shutter speed for video on the controller screen. If I capture a frame, I'm 99% sure that EXIF data is in the image and that I can access it later when doing post. But there's no such data there for video. Only date, pixel size and file size. I'd like to have ISO, shutter speed, and some of the other settings.

Is any of that other meta data for video available anywhere?
An interesting question and I've just spent a bit of time looking at this.

Of course, it's just as you say, you can view many of these parameters on-screen in a video using the subtitled information which is stored in the .srt file.

However, having experimented with both source frame grab photos and drone camera-produced photos here:- online metadata and exif viewer it seems to me that source frame grab and screen grab images contain none of the meta data that you require - while a photo direct from the drone camera gives you a full set of both EXIF and XMP data.

Unfortunately, as far as I can see there's also no simple way (at least for a layman like me) to automatically add this extra data to your source frame or screen grab photos.

An interesting question and I've just spent a bit of time looking at this.

Unfortunately, as far as I can see there's also no simple way (at least for a layman like me) to automatically add this extra data to your source frame or screen grab photos.

Thank you Sir. That's a drag. It would be extremely useful for learning what works best in various lighting situations if one could analyze video in post, particularly when the camera is in auto exposure.

Is there a way to take screen shots of the controller screen (including all of the information on it--not just what the camera sees? That would be klunky, but still useful for analysis.

Having researched a bit more and just to make it clear, there is parameter data stored within the video file which can be accessed and manipulated, for example, by a program called Exiftool ExifTool by Phil Harvey , but IMHO, it's not for the fainthearted and probably entails far more work than is justified for what you want to do.

To get video AND screen shots of all that is on your screen, you can just use a special screen recording program. I am on Android and my personal choice is DU Recorder DU Recorder – Screen Recorder & Video Editor - Android Apps on Google Play but others are available for both Android and iOS. As regards, Windows (10, in my case) media players, I favour Potplayer Global Potplayer which not only plays almost all videos well, but also has an extremely user friendly interface for grabbing video source frames and for other operations.

Wow. That sounds like the ticket. I just did some searching for IOS options and found out that IOS 11 has it built in! Not only that, with a tap of a button, you can turn on the mic and narrate what you're doing (which may help with understanding what the screen is telling you). At the rate Mavic Pro Platinums are being shipped, I'll have IOS 11 sooner and can try it out with my P3 first. Sounds like it might work.

Update...
I just downloaded IOS 11 and tried it: Totally awesome! I can replay the entire flight; observe the camera and aircraft settings; it records everything, even opening menus and changing things. It works seamlessly and seems to have no effect on the performance of the DJI Go app.

Update...
I just downloaded IOS 11 and tried it: Totally awesome! I can replay the entire flight; observe the camera and aircraft settings; it records everything, even opening menus and changing things. It works seamlessly and seems to have no effect on the performance of the DJI Go app.
That's great! As mentioned, I have a screen recording app on my devices but usually I'm so intent on the 'flying bit' that I often forget to turn it on.... :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing