Can I use P2 Vision GPS (Part #11) on P2V3?

Reaction score
I have had some issues with intermittent GPS signal on my P2V3 (Zenmuse-3D, BT datalink & mini iOSD).

I have seen a post indicating that the Vision + GPS unit can be used on the P2. Supposedly the compass cable comes off the mainboard and connects to the GPS puck. Does anyone know if this is correct and if so, does it work reliably? Had my first GPS quit mid-flight on a windy day and it was not great fun.

Apologies if this is a noob question.

(reposted correctly)

The older style GPS PUCK, has a cable and a plug ( 2 connections )
Compass hooked to GPS PUCK, GPS PUCK hooked to motherboard!

New style GPS PUCK only has 1 cable ( single connection )
Compass now does not hook to puck, but instead hook to motherboard in the ( COMP ) spot near where GPS hooks.

Seems to work fine, they redesigned them for the new anti-static compass!
You might try the GPS BOOSTER insert ( removable one )

Here is a link:
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=251941120926

J Dot

Thanks. I am a tad confused.

The 'new' puck I have acquired has two cables - GPS and Compass(?). The 'old' puck just had the GPS cable.

Which is the newer configuration?

If I install the 'new' puck, should I use the Compass cable and wire the GPS puck to the mainboard, or leave the existing compass on the leg, connected to the board? Is there any advantage using the compass on the puck?

BTW - I am replacing the shell because the locktite I used when reassembling the shell caused most of the screw mountings to shatter during a moderately hard landing. definitely a trap for young players.

Ok, so you CAN use the puck supplied with the P2 Vision+ in a straight P2. I initially left the compass plug on the puck un-used. In other words, I left the existing cable going from the compass to the main board in place and connected the GPS cable to the board, as per the original P2 setup. The result was no satellite locks. I then tried connecting the compass cable between the puck and the main board - still no satellite locks. I then tried re-running the compass cable from the puck to the leg-mounted compass (i.e. bypassing the main board completely and leaving the plug on the main board unused) and viola, immediate satellite acquisition.

I also took the opportunity to install additional shielding for the puck using Copper and Kapton Polyimide Film as per a number of YouTube videos and have boosted my satellite numbers from 8-12 on average.

Need some more tests to confirm why this solution works (it probably should not) as the compass signal is now being handled only via the GPS connector. Nevertheless it does seem to work fine.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl