Can I use another, more powefull 5.8ghz transmitter into the stock DJI RC?

Reaction score
Hey Peoples

Basically I want to upgrade the 5.8ghz control TX in the stock DJI RC without using an AMP...
The stock TX is 100mw, so I'd like to increase that..

Is it possible to integrate another 5.8ghz transmitter in the RC ?
Could I use something like the immersion 5.8ghz video/audio transmitter and hook it into the RC somehow ?

Or would it not work because
a) video/audio signal is diff type of transmission signal than the RC signal sent the phantom for RC control ?
b) if the signal works for RC control, would it be very hard to intergrate a new transmitter it into the DJI RC ??

If I did use a diff 5.8ghz transmitter in the RC, would I need a new/matching RX that will control the servo's ??

Another option is buying another RC controller that is more powerful than 100mw.. if I did that, would i need to get the a diff RC RX to hook into servo's or would another controller just work with the stock RC ?
Think I've seen videos of people just using new controllers and not having to touch the phantom end??
Problem with getting a new controller is they can be verrry expensive and I would not use 95% of the fancy features/extra switches etc etc... so seems like overkill just to have a more powerful RC TX.

Anyways interested to hear peoples thoughts on doing this ??

And yes I know the antennas on both the RC and Phantom make a huge diff, would just like to discuss the transmitters and this stage and not worry about antenna's at the moment... :)

5.8gHz is not a common r/c control frequency. Therefore there are no other after market system options.
Even if systems were to be offered they would still be subject to FCC power limits. Not sure why you believe other systems have more power.
You have a few incorrect assumptions which may be skewing your understanding of the situation.

Antennas and/or amps are your current options.

Antenna mods are the way to go. Stock antenna are around 2 dbi gain. Jumping to 5 dbi or more are a bib big help. Directional or omni are your preference. If controllers were easy then that's the way we would be going but not an option. May want to pick up a spare controller to do the mods and save yours I case you have to have warranty work.

5.8gHz is not a common r/c control frequency. Therefore there are no other after market system options.
Even if systems were to be offered they would still be subject to FCC power limits. Not sure why you believe other systems have more power.
You have a few incorrect assumptions which may be skewing your understanding of the situation.

Antennas and/or amps are your current options.

You are right I have some incorrect assumptions, thus asking for help/questions :)

On the FCC point you made, isn't 100mw the limit in USA.... if so, then why are there 500mw or 600mw or bigger FPV systems available ? Or is an FPV transmitter on 5.8 different to an RC on 5.8 and doesn't fall under FCC rules ??? But yeah there are not many 5.8 systems available compared to 2.4...and as you said, all I have seen are maxed out at 100mw...

It seems a FPV system would not work as a RC transmiter... I looked through the immersion manual for the 500mw FPV transmitter and yeah, doesn't look it would work.. but to be honest, and as you said I don't really know much about this stuff..

Anyways now I am confused why FPV systems can go over 100mw but RC can't ??

Also please point me in the right direction of any other assumptions to help skep my understanding in the right direction. I really want to learn about the RF stuff......

Speaking of antenna's I have a 5.8ghz LHCP antenna on my RC and it works sooooo well... I have tried so many diff types of antenna's and the range is amazing. Only cost like $22 on ebay.

I'm kind of grounded at the moment... my 2 batteries are on 160+ charges, 1 is now dying went it gets to 40% and I have a 3 month old new 2312 motor with a 'funny' movement that needs replacing, well maybe, maybe not.. but for $30 its worth changing and now taking the risk. I'm going to usa for 3 weeks this weekend so will buy/install a new motor when I return and then deal with batteries.. now I'm grounded I want top play/learn.

Speaking playing... been playing with the kernel/tcp/udp options on the wifi module, made some amazing changes wich increase the range quite abit...DJI have been very lazy and did no work other than install OpenWRT on there wifi module/RE... they added there stuff they needed but spent not time optimizing the kernel and other parts... and no my changes are not boosting the wifi power :p
I will post that 'how to' up soon... just tweaking it/finalising at the moment... I would love to convert it into an app... i.e you get the app, click go, it ssh into your wifi module and RE and makes the changes... exactly the same way as the old style boosters work (they ssh, and run the booster command then exit)

BTW i wouldn't be so quick to put idea's down.. you might be very surprised soon when someone releases a mod for the stock controller to increase it from 100mw to alot more, without using an amp :)

You are right I have some incorrect assumptions, thus asking for help/questions :)

On the FCC point you made, isn't 100mw the limit in USA.... if so, then why are there 500mw or 600mw or bigger FPV systems available ? Or is an FPV transmitter on 5.8 different to an RC on 5.8 and doesn't fall under FCC rules ??? But yeah there are not many 5.8 systems available compared to 2.4...and as you said, all I have seen are maxed out at 100mw...

It seems a FPV system would not work as a RC transmiter... I looked through the immersion manual for the 500mw FPV transmitter and yeah, doesn't look it would work.. but to be honest, and as you said I don't really know much about this stuff..

Anyways now I am confused why FPV systems can go over 100mw but RC can't ??

Also please point me in the right direction of any other assumptions to help skep my understanding in the right direction. I really want to learn about the RF stuff......

Speaking of antenna's I have a 5.8ghz LHCP antenna on my RC and it works sooooo well... I have tried so many diff types of antenna's and the range is amazing. Only cost like $22 on ebay.

I'm kind of grounded at the moment... my 2 batteries are on 160+ charges, 1 is now dying went it gets to 40% and I have a 3 month old new 2312 motor with a 'funny' movement that needs replacing, well maybe, maybe not.. but for $30 its worth changing and now taking the risk. I'm going to usa for 3 weeks this weekend so will buy/install a new motor when I return and then deal with batteries.. now I'm grounded I want top play/learn.

Speaking playing... been playing with the kernel/tcp/udp options on the wifi module, made some amazing changes wich increase the range quite abit...DJI have been very lazy and did no work other than install OpenWRT on there wifi module/RE... they added there stuff they needed but spent not time optimizing the kernel and other parts... and no my changes are not boosting the wifi power :p
I will post that 'how to' up soon... just tweaking it/finalising at the moment... I would love to convert it into an app... i.e you get the app, click go, it ssh into your wifi module and RE and makes the changes... exactly the same way as the old style boosters work (they ssh, and run the booster command then exit)

Unless a video transmitter has specific markings stating that it is compliant with FCC Part 15 requirements, you will need a license to operate it legally.

Tx power is an electrical based measurement. Without amplification there is no way to increase Tx power so yes I would be surprised to see a power increase without amplification.

Please do not confuse this with antenna gain (effificeny and directivity), beam focusing, or ERP for example.

so you are saying the people running the 500mw or anything above 100mw FPV systems are doing it illegally ??
Kind of what I suspected... same as us australians running in FCC mode right... instead of CE (25mw) like we are limited to ?

On the changing stock 5.8ghz transmiter in the DJI RC thing... You are saying a very smary electrical engineer type person would not be able to do it ?? Obviously I would not be able to lol... but someone very smart..
I better stop talking then......... you might find a product soon.. :]
Why do you think its not possible ?? What technical reason are you saying it can't be done ?

What if I have seen a prototype.. ? I doubt the prototype was faked... it was a crowd funding type thing... just a smart person playing around, but curious to hear the technical reasons why you think its not possible ??
I admit I don't know much about this..but I know what I've seen... :)

Justin,
I appreciate your positive attitude in that all things are possible.

But power increase requires amplification.

Are you saying could someone put the amp INSIDE the controller?
Well sure, does that make you happy now?

Doesn't change the laws of physics though.

Ok Going to try one more time, for your sake and mine. I do appreciate you at least replying.. maybe I am just stupid due to me not being familiar with physics etc etc

but people have obviously made more powerful 5.8ghz transmitters for FPV.. as you can buy 500mw for e.g, right ?
So the laws of physics say that is possible ? I'm going to assume so if you can buy those items.
Why do the laws of physics say that is not possible to make a more powerful transmitter for the control signal and slap it in the controller..

when I say slap it in the controller, obviously that is where the magic happens... making it work in the stock controller or ANY controller, a new controller, company doing it who makes controllers etc etc ?

And I don't mean put an amp inside the controller, jeez even I could do that.

Are you saying its possible to make a more power FPV transmitter (which legally you need a license for) but the control signal is restricted to 100mw due to the laws of physics.
Or if the 500mw transmitters have inbuilt amps, then regardless, why can't the same be made for the control signal transmitter ??

Can you see why I am 'confused' ?

Just to clarify I am not talking about making the stock 100mw transmitter more powerful, I am talking about creating a more powerful transmitter.

BTW I meant in my reply it above it was NOT a crowd funding thing, I accidently wrote it was.

Last edited:
No offense, and this is not directed at you N017RW but this seems like another topic if I was to ask on RCgroups I'd get a crap load of info....
Quite a few of my crazy ideas are not possible... on this forum.... but yet possible on RCgroups lol...Usually the 'impossible' has been done before and includes wiring diagrams when asked on RCgroups..lol :)

anyways curious to hear your comments regarding why FPV can have 500mw transmitters but RC can't due to the laws of physics.. very eager to learn, as I said :)

Just go to FPVLR.com, and buy the amplifier and directional antennas. You'll boost it all you need. Reengineering the stock transmitter? Anything is possible... good luck.

got amps already.. don't want to use :)
but thanks for the suggestion.. Nothing wrong at all with your suggestion its me who is being abit silly and doesn't want to use the amp for reasons we don't need to get into..
Thanks again.

No offense, and this is not directed at you N017RW but this seems like another topic if I was to ask on RCgroups I'd get a crap load of info....
Quite a few of my crazy ideas are not possible... on this forum.... but yet possible on RCgroups lol...Usually the 'impossible' has been done before and includes wiring diagrams when asked on RCgroups..lol :)

anyways curious to hear your comments regarding why FPV can have 500mw transmitters but RC can't due to the laws of physics.. very eager to learn, as I said :)

You said this: "you might be very surprised soon when someone releases a mod for the stock controller to increase it from 100mw to alot more, without using an amp"

The physics reference is how do you increase RF power without amplification?

I explained more power requires amplification. That's it.

Ok, im with you so far...

But the 200, 500, 600mw etc FPV 5.8ghz TX available atm...do thry really just have amp inside them???? Like is that how they work???

Yes, they have an amplifier [section] in them.

It's no different that audio equipment, more Watts, more amplification.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic