Can I turn my wi fi off after startup on phantom 4

Reaction score
After start up can I turn WiFi off or does it need to stay on for gps

After start up can I turn WiFi off or does it need to stay on for gps
Yes you can turn it off. Wifi has nothing to do with GPS.

When do I have to be tethered to internet? Just firmware updates?

You only need to connected to the internet for the initial login which is only done once, and for map updates and for the RC to update its FW. You don't need internet to fly.

My iPhone and iPad both give me a warning when I turn off the WIFI. It states that the GPS is more accurate with it on. However, I have noticed that it works fine in either case. The drone itself doesn't need WIFI. It has its own GPS. You mainly need a cell data connection or WIFI to update the map at a new location.

It states that the GPS is more accurate with it on.

I don't have any iDevices but I'd bet that what it says is that your LOCATION is more accurate with Wi-Fi on, not that the GPS radio is more accurate with Wi-Fi on. Android devices say LOCATION is more accurate

Modern devices use Wi-Fi to enhance GPS... add them together and your LOCATION is more accurate.

As @3rdof5 said: Wi-Fi has nothing to do with GPS

Reactions: JWH
I don't have any iDevices but I'd bet that what it says is that your LOCATION is more accurate with Wi-Fi on, not that the GPS radio is more accurate with Wi-Fi on. Android devices say LOCATION is more accurate

Modern devices use Wi-Fi to enhance GPS... add them together and your LOCATION is more accurate.

As @3rdof5 said: Wi-Fi has nothing to do with GPS
Considering that most wifi devices use the 2.4 Ghz frequency band, and so do the phantoms for control and video transmission, keeping your wifi turned off only helps by eliminating possible interference issues. While as said above, in some cases it may improve location accuracy along with GPS, its totally unnecessary and may actually be worse due to possible interference with the RC and AC. And added bonus of keeping it off means your device is now doing less in the background and your control app (Dji go, Litchi, etc) will run smoother with less video lag.

Reactions: JWH

Depends on your firmware/software versions. DJI loves to occasionally LOCK DOWN your bird pending logging into their mother ship. You need Internet access to login. It looks something like this poor chap (turn down your sound card if the kiddies are around):

This is why I use legacy firmware AND software. I will NEVER get caught out in the field with a disabled drone ever again.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94