Can I completely disable the camera?

Reaction score
Have a P2V+ and am an experienced pilot - however - I was showing off to a friend in my garage and had a crash that seriously damaged my gimble / camera. Stupid me. The P2V+ still flies, but I think the camera is completely toast. I'm OK with just using it as a flying drone - with no photography (and I'll probably get another one). But it won't fly smoothly as the gimble is constantly moving and shaking the phantom trying to adjust itself to a position that is now impossible due to the damage. Is there a software setting / way to just disable the camera all together?

hgpilot said:
Have a P2V+ and am an experienced pilot - however - I was showing off to a friend in my garage and had a crash that seriously damaged my gimble / camera. Stupid me. The P2V+ still flies, but I think the camera is completely toast. I'm OK with just using it as a flying drone - with no photography (and I'll probably get another one). But it won't fly smoothly as the gimble is constantly moving and shaking the phantom trying to adjust itself to a position that is now impossible due to the damage. Is there a software setting / way to just disable the camera all together?

Just dismantle the gimbal and remove the motor and gimbal arm, leave or replace the base unit of the gimbal on the drone, connect it back up and you can still get telemetry and use the app with maps.

Thought about looking at the gimbal fix on this forum?, as long as your ribbon cable is ok you have a good chance of saving it.

If not, that ribbon cable is very sought after, thinking of selling it? :twisted:

Good luck and happy flying....

Thanks for the suggestion - removed the camera and you're right - it flies great. I'm afraid the ribbon is damaged (need to re-check that) - I tried to straighten the arm but the entire assembly seems to be more optimized for taking pictures than being damaged / being repaired. I think I messed up the ribbon, but will check again.

New camera is $679 - unbelievable.

Here's what you want to do:
1) Look at the picture here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=29933399&postcount=49
2) You'll want to remove the two pins labeled "CAN Bus"
3) To remove the pins from the connector, you'll need the smallest jeweler's flat screwdriver.
4) Unplug and study the connector; there are some small plastic pins on one side.
5) If you lift up a plastic pin, the corresponding wire can be pulled out of the connector (use tweezers).
6) Pull out the two CAN bus pins, then insulate them with tape and put aside.
7) Replace the connector.

Now the camera will work, but it won't move at all. You'll need something like the gimbal clamp to hold it in the position you want.

Note that if you get a camera image, your ribbon cable is probably okay. If you don't get a camera image, then the cable is probably toast.
A replacement ribbon cable is $85 from ATK Drones. I've not found a cheaper source yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers