Can I avoid connection loss?

• Thread starter Deleted member 99081
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 99081

I'm very happy, generally, with my P4A, and the service I get from DJI (they recently replaced a burned out battery, quickly and for free). However, I live off the coast of County Kerry, in Ireland (on an Island), right on the Atlantic ocean. I find that I can't fly more than 1 mile (1.5Km) before I lose the connection between the controller and the drone.

I've taken this as "normal" given my location, but I'm now wondering if there are any tweaks that can be made, or additional equipment, that might help increase the distance I can fly before this happens?

Here's a photo I got last evening, about 1500m off the coast:

Reactions: slugger and keyman
I find that I can't fly more than 1 mile (1.5Km) before I lose the connection between the controller and the drone.

I'm now wondering if there are any tweaks that can be made, or additional equipment, that might help increase the distance I can fly before this happens?
A set of windsurfer type antenna reflectors are cheap and effective to achieve what you want.

There is always going to be a point you are going to lose connection. You can keep from losing connection by flying within sight. Lol

I lose connection very quickly here, even when flying within line of sight, which I do ALL the time. Lol.

This are two different things. Generally 'line of sight' means that you can see it (visual line of sight) if you can't see it you can't say about obstacles either.
Over the lake or sea where you can't expect any obstacles this item is pretty much the same thing.

About that adds-on to antennas. Definitely it will enables good signal strength farther. I'm interested how far you'll get with them. Would be nice if you let us know.
But you must be aware, that this is not a signal boosters. It's more likely a signal routers, as they condense previously disperse signal spreading circularly from antennas to more directed way where they are pointed - to the drone in this case. If you turn the controller slightly in other direction you can more likely loose the signal even in shorter ranges. So if you not see the drone this might cause a trouble as it may be pretty far from the point you think it is.

The picture is exceptionally good!

This are two different things. Generally 'line of sight' means that you can see it (visual line of sight) if you can't see it you can't say about obstacles either.
Over the lake or sea where you can't expect any obstacles this item is pretty much the same thing.

I was using Webster's second definition:
2: the line between two points specifically : the straight path between a transmitting antenna (as for radio or television signals) and a receiving antenna when unobstructed by the horizon.

About that adds-on to antennas. Definitely it will enables good signal strength farther. I'm interested how far you'll get with them. Would be nice if you let us know. But you must be aware, that this is not a signal boosters. It's more likely a signal routers, as they condense previously disperse signal spreading circularly from antennas to more directed way where they are pointed - to the drone in this case. If you turn the controller slightly in other direction you can more likely loose the signal even in shorter ranges. So if you not see the drone this might cause a trouble as it may be pretty far from the point you think it is.

I'll certainly let you know if it works. Also, I was going to post about losing signal if the drone and controller are not in a direct straight line, as this was mentioned on Amazon when I bought it. I'll be careful.

The picture is exceptionally good!

Thanks, here's one I took the day before, from the opposite end of the island.

Nice too.
Do you have a photo of that light house which can be seen on this last one. Its position may be pretty photogenic.

Nice too.
Do you have a photo of that light house which can be seen on this last one. Its position may be pretty photogenic.

I've got dozens of them! It's Valentia Island Lighthouse at Cromwell Point, Co. Kerry Ireland.

Here's two (one of them is also my Avatar).

LOS and VLOS are not the same thing.
In drone forums the term Line of Sight is usually misused.
It's a radio term that is much older than drones have been around.
Your drone could be 10 miles away and still be in LOS, as long as there are no obstacles blocking signal.
Under the laws of physics you must maintain a clear, unobstructed LOS to be able to control your drone.

VLOS is a clumsy and confusing combination term that means within visual range.
I'm interested how far you'll get with them. Would be nice if you let us know.
Where the OP was having signal breaking down around 1.5km, with reflectors he can expect a strong signal at 4km.
If you turn the controller slightly in other direction you can more likely loose the signal even in shorter ranges. So if you not see the drone this might cause a trouble as it may be pretty far from the point you think it is.
I expected that when I first used them but have found that accurate aiming isn't a big concern.
They work very well if you are just pointing in the general direction.

Yes, I agree that there is some confusion about terminology, but generally we know what we are talking about.
Your last statement explains that the signal with this reflectors is still pretty dispersed although in desired direction so the angle of radio signal is wide enough. It's not like radar beam.
Thanks for the explanation.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic