can anyone tell me where I can find detailed instructions on video editing for my new Phantom 4 pro

YouTube.com is your best friend for sure. Check out Frederick Hagen and tutvid and chinfat. They are all very good with Premier Pro tutorials. What software are you gonna go with. The subscription to the Adobe Cloud cost me 45 bucks a month btw. Premier Pro is 19.99 a month and the photographers Adobe package is 9.99 a month if you buy them separately. Photographers package gets you Photoshop and Lightroom and I think Bridge too.

Reactions: MexicoDrones
I use cyberlink direct 15, which can currently be bought for less than a 100 dollars I believe. it does everything I need for vid editing, and can edit H265 , and can be bought as part of a package that includes photo director and sound wave director, very useful bundle

Reactions: M1shootr
I use cyberlink direct 15, which can currently be bought for less than a 100 dollars I believe. it does everything I need for vid editing, and can edit H265 , and can be bought as part of a package that includes photo director and sound wave director, very useful bundle
+1 Plan on some learning time with any plan you use.

I'm new here and new to the P4P so I apologize if this question is out of place. Do any of the above editing programs allow you to insert captions to parts of the edited video?

I've been using Wondershare Filmora. I like it, but the pause in between cut videos makes it almost impossible to sync with audio...

Reactions: KevMo Photog
I've been using Wondershare Filmora. I like it, but the pause in between cut videos makes it almost impossible to sync with audio...
I used it for about 6 months and then had to bite the bullet and get Premier Pro. Filmora is real easy and cheap but it's just not there when you get more serious about quality.

Premier Pro or Final Cut Pro are my long term recommendations. I used Corel and some other lighter programs before but as you get more involved you will eventually upgrade anyway. Bite the bullet or try the Adobe Premier Pro CC trial. I had to go through the learning curve twice which I do not recommend. I have been using Adobe Premier Pro for 6-weeks and made my logo intro using Adobe After Effects which also comes with the Adobe CC package mentioned above (started with a template BTW). You also get Photoshop, lightroom and many other apps. This is the first video edited w PP...

and the most recent a couple of days ago...

IMPORTANT - You also need to take into consideration computing power. You can very easily find yourself using a video editing software that does not seem to work well because you do not have a good graphics card or enough RAM. That would be one reason to go for a lighter less expensive program.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bigcountry1375
Very nice looking app and probably a great solution for quick editing HD. But not sure how you get 40gb (3 batteries of 4k video) to your ipad. My P4 only transfers video real time to my iPad when shooting in HD not in 4k.

Sorry. Just realized this is a P4P thread I somehow ended up on and I have a P4. Maybe the P4P does transfer 4k, not sure.

Buy the cyberlink suite. It will come with the color director program which can do your color corrections for you, without having to shell big $$ for the big 2 IMO.

I have used several different video editing programs. I've now settled happily on Filmora, which is $60 for a lifetime license for a single copy that can only be used on one computer. As Briankbl mentioned, syncing your sound track cannot be done precisely with Filmora during editing, but that doesn't mean that the sound is messed up after you render the video. It's not out of sync after rendering, but it's out of sync during the editing. It's a little difficult to explain but I'll give it a try: if you need a specific part of your sound track to be at a specific spot in the video, you'll have to carefully look at the clock on the editing timeline and then insert the desired moment of the audio track at that precise spot.

I do not know of a free editing program that can both process and render in 4K/60, but that doesn't mean that no such program exists. Filmora is fully capable of doing this.

Frederick Hagan's YouTube videos are great, and I've learned a lot from him about shooting and editing footage from the P4P, even though I don't use the $240/year Premiere Pro editing program that he uses.

If you have a Windows computer, there's a lot that you can do video-wise with the free program Windows Movie Maker. That's what I used for 3 years before getting Filmora.

Besides the above programs, I've used the following:
DaVinci Resolve 12.5, free. Limited to a maximum of 1080p rendering. Because of that limit, I haven't spent enough time with the program to become good at using it.
Corel VideoStudioX7. I paid $20 a few years ago and prefer Windows Movie Maker.
Corel VideoStudioX10. I paid $50 to upgrade my X7 to X10, and then got a refund during the money-back period. It was not any more capable than X7, just a bunch a new effects options that I didn't want or need.

Whether you'll find it worthwhile to spend the money for FinalCut or Premiere Pro is going to depend on your needs. As a hobbyist-level Phantom Pilot and videographer who uploads regularly to YouTube but who does not expect to become a YouTube tycoon, the cost for those programs exceeds my needs for the increased capabilities.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
I have used several different video editing programs. I've now settled happily on Filmora, which is $60 for a lifetime license for a single copy that can only be used on one computer. As Briankbl mentioned, syncing your sound track cannot be done precisely with Filmora during editing, but that doesn't mean that the sound is messed up after you render the video. It's not out of sync after rendering, but it's out of sync during the editing. It's a little difficult to explain but I'll give it a try: if you need a specific part of your sound track to be at a specific spot in the video, you'll have to carefully look at the clock on the editing timeline and then insert the desired moment of the audio track at that precise spot.

I do not know of a free editing program that can both process and render in 4K/60, but that doesn't mean that no such program exists. Filmora is fully capable of doing this.

Frederick Hagan's YouTube videos are great, and I've learned a lot from him about shooting and editing footage from the P4P, even though I don't use the $240/year Premiere Pro editing program that he uses.

If you have a Windows computer, there's a lot that you can do video-wise with the free program Windows Movie Maker. That's what I used for 3 years before getting Filmora.

Besides the above programs, I've used the following:
DaVinci Resolve 12.5, free. Limited to a maximum of 1080p rendering. Because of that limit, I haven't spent enough time with the program to become good at using it.
Corel VideoStudioX7. I paid $20 a few years ago and prefer Windows Movie Maker.
Corel VideoStudioX10. I paid $50 to upgrade my X7 to X10, and then got a refund during the money-back period. It was not any more capable than X7, just a bunch a new effects options that I didn't want or need.

Whether you'll find it worthwhile to spend the money for FinalCut or Premiere Pro is going to depend on your needs. As a hobbyist-level Phantom Pilot and videographer who uploads regularly to YouTube but who does not expect to become a YouTube tycoon, the cost for those programs exceeds my needs for the increased capabilities.
Well said Bigbells. It really just depends on how serious a person wants to get with it.

Reactions: Bigbells

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1