Camera Uncontrollable

Reaction score
Hi all. Upon startup, the camera on my Phantom 4 pans fully up, then fully down, over and over again without ceasing. It does not appear to be responding at all to the controller. The unit itself flies flawlessly; no issues there. Firmware is updated to the latest version. IMU and compass are, to the best of my knowledge, calibrated correctly.

I've searched and haven't found anyone having the same issue. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough, or in the right place; not sure. It's done this occasionally since purchase, but usually restarting the aircraft fixes it. As of now, restarts have been ineffectual. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Which version of Go do you have? 3.0.0 was riddled with strange problems.
When did it start to do it?

Yes sir, the gimbal has been calibrated.

DJI GO App version is 2.8.0. I will update it in the morning and see if that improves the situation, but this has been an ongoing problem since roughly four flights in. The camera would start panning up and down uncontrollably and I'd restart the aircraft. Sometimes twice, but it would settle down and work correctly. Not anymore, unfortunately. Also of note, the aircraft has not been crashed.

C1 button moves the gimbal to 0 or 90, try and re-program the C1 to do something else (check if it does) and see if it makes a difference. The button may be defective and continually pulse a command.

Thanks for the suggestion! I just tried it; unfortunately to no avail. I also tried cranking the gimbal dial speed all the way down and it hasn't slowed the stupid thing down a bit. Possibly a defective hardware issue?

C1 button moves the gimbal to 0 or 90, try and re-program the C1 to do something else (check if it does) and see if it makes a difference. The button may be defective and continually pulse a command.
I think that's as close as you're going to get to finding out what's wrong (not solving it).

Out of curiosity, what happens if you power the P4 alone? Also, why not try starting up without the tablet connected.

Perhaps the firmware has become corrupted? I don't think it's possible to reinstall it though(?).

I think you need to send it back.

Thanks guys! I've done a factory reset on the drone(or so it says) and re-updated the firmware. Also, the unit does the same thing whether the controller is powered on and connected or not. Anyways, I'm going to try to take it to somewhat local repair place this weekend if possible and see if they can find a hardware malfunction. Appreciate you guys bearing with me. Will try to post some cool aerial photography of the area when it gets to working again.

This did happen to me once when I tried to take off in long grass, it's as if the camera couldn't focus. When I moved to a clearer area it seamed to work ok.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Hey, my P4 is having the same issue. camera up then down any input from the controller makes no difference. did the software update, recalibrate the IMU, gimbal, re-paired the p4 and controller. nothing worked.

Was wondering if you had found a solution that worked?

Yes sir! Apparently it was a problem with the pitch motor, as well as the pitch control switch on the controller. Got the pitch motor repaired and it's stopped acting loopy, but now I still can't pan up and down without getting a new controller or sending it off to DJI. Anyone know of a way to control the camera via software instead of using the controller?

This happened to me once. It was really cold outside and I was in grass. I hope it's not a harbinger of things to come. Ill be honest, and say after reading the horror stories on this site, I'm almost ready to return my shiny new p4 black edition.

Sent from my XT1254 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31