Camera settings

Reaction score
So I"ve been looking at footage I took when I first got the P3S and recently. When I first started flying I kept the settings as they were and photos and movies looked fine. But having researched settings on youtube and whats good for the post processing process I changed my settings to the following:

Video: 2.7 30 fps NTSC AWB DLOG
Picture: 4:3 with JPEG+RAW DLOG
Settings: -3, -3, -3

So I've been working on the post processing process and I've been trying to get my videos to look nice and cinematic. Been watching lots of youtube videos, but it seems like the default settings for video and pictures was good.

So what are you guys using for your settings and any advice for the post processing process?

Reactions: philr
I don't know with the P3S, but in the P3P and the P4, Dlog gets rids of all details...so I moved to NONE, ART or D-CINEMATIC. They provide much better video quality, specially landscapes when you see trees and grass. Style: 0 -1 -1. Re: Postprocessing, I use Final Cut Pro X...it is wonderful.

DLOG does get rid of most things and is suppose to give you the most to work with in the post process side. But while I'm find flying the drone, I'm learning more about using the drone as a photographer right now. So adding a lot of post processing to it isn't helping because my skills in Adobe Priemer aren't that good at color correction and cinematic things (but watching plenty to of youtube videos to learn). So almost wondering if I could go back to the NONE setting and just focus more on getting the shot then fixing the shot.

Open to suggestions. Ultimately I would like to be able to get to a level that I can get the best footage during the shoot and be able to fix any color, lighting issues, etc in post process.

I don't know with the P3S, but in the P3P and the P4, Dlog gets rids of all details...so I moved to NONE, ART or D-CINEMATIC. They provide much better video quality, specially landscapes when you see trees and grass. Style: 0 -1 -1. Re: Postprocessing, I use Final Cut Pro X...it is wonderful.

[QUOTE="Open to suggestions.[/QUOTE]
Well this is what I have learned so far: ( 3 years using all models of Phantom)
1. None or D Cinemalike are the modes that capture the best image. Style: 0,0,0 or 0 -1 -1.
2. A ND filter can help improve the video on very sunny conditions.
3. Learn how to sharp and increase dynamic contrast with your editing tools, specially if you have P3 family.
4. The major impact on image quality is weather. Nice clean sunny days create beautiful pictures and videos.
5. When you are ready, move to a higher end Phantom. IMHO, the difference between P3 family and P4 family on image quality is dramatic.

Thanks. Will go back to none for now. Still waiting for my Mavic to arrive so this drone is my learning drone for now. At least in the photography sense. Been flying drones for years now. But this is the first with a stabilized camera on it.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

@Spiderpig out of curiosity why would you choose 4:3 for photos?

choose 4:3 for photos
When you choose 4:3 you get all pixels, i.e., 12M pixels. The 16:9 is just a crop image and you get less pixels. Just look at the file size when you use 4:3 or 16:9. The 4:3 files are larger, more info, more pixels, more info to post-edit.

When you choose 4:3 you get all pixels, i.e., 12M pixels. The 16:9 is just a crop image and you get less pixels. Just look at the file size when you use 4:3 or 16:9. The 4:3 files are larger, more info, more pixels, more info to post-edit.

You beat me to it. Basically want to get the most of the picture. Since I like to do pano shots, it helps to have the full picture.

I figured there was a good reason. so does it just natively digitally zoom the 16:9's??

I figured there was a good reason. so does it just natively digitally zoom the 16:9's??

What it does, if I understand correctly, is take the 4:3 image and crop the top and bottom to create the 16:9 image. So your losing some of the original image.

So yesterday I was testing Adobe Premier at work on the new MacBook Pro with the touch bar and figured I'd compare DLOG footage to NONE as a test. While I normally edit at home on a Mac Pro with a trackball, it was pretty easy to do on the new MacBook Pro. Here's what I created:

Part of my job as the Mac engineer at work requires me to test new hardware....so I get to have fun testing it and can get away with making videos at work.

Reactions: espinozapablo1986
@Spiderpig thanks for the reference vid!

Do you have any shots with the DLOG setting and normal, back to back?

It's difficult to compare two totally different shots with different camera settings.

@Spiderpig thanks for the reference vid!

Do you have any shots with the DLOG setting and normal, back to back?

It's difficult to compare two totally different shots with different camera settings.

Yeah not yet. I only had my existing footage. I'm going to plan a flight on litchi that I can replicate over and over so I can test the same flight with different settings. Hopefully weather will be nice enough this weekend for that.

Yeah not yet. I only had my existing footage. I'm going to plan a flight on litchi that I can replicate over and over so I can test the same flight with different settings. Hopefully weather will be nice enough this weekend for that.

I have been meaning to do a video test myself so I'm looking forward to seein that

kbGYk1p.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctlfreak