Camera - Lost Focus

Reaction score
Needing help!

Last night I had a mishap in the house and my P2V+ crashed during a flight around the living room. This happened from a height of 8' so in terms of crashes it's not a big deal.

The gimbal and camera function fine, but now the camera is out of focus. I assume the camera is fixed focus, but it appears that after the crash a lens may have shifted. The picture is very clear and crisp on objects that are within 18 inches of the camera, but on items further away the image begins getting blurry and looks out of focus.

Is there something I can try to do prior to purchasing a new gimbal and camera assembly? Pictures from before and after are below.

Thanks.

Pre-Crash Photo:
PreCrash-sm.jpg

Post-Crash Photo:
PostCrash-sm.jpg

Near Focus Example Photo: (Windshield washer outlet and hood are in focus while dumpster in background is out of focus)
NearFocus.jpg

Well, it ought not be that complicated, but I don't know for certain. The lenses on these cameras screw in to focus. Usually, there is glue applied to the threads once they are focused. Possibly, something may have come apart to change the focus. In any case, you can proceed by removing the 4 screws from the back of the camera, carefully lift the latch on the ribbon cable and unplug it, then see about removing the camera assembly from there. I don't have my broken camera with me right now, but I imagine that there are screws holding in the circuit board with the camera module on the other side. If that's right, and it all comes out from there, you're set. Sort of. You'll want a way to focus the camera while it is on, ideally. Otherwise it's a matter of twisting a bit and trying it out. You could disable the gimbal by disconnecting the CAN bus...

Perhaps let me know if you want to hear more.

This thread looks at changing to 5.4mm non-fish eye lens. It may assist you on refocusing the lens.
look at the youtube links where he does the mods to see if you can readjust the stock
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=12655&hilit=5.4mm&start=10

That's a good thread. There's a nice picture sequence starting from page 8.

One thing I didn't think of before: You might try just turning the lens from the outside. Perhaps use a small suction cup, or something like a rubber balloon over your thumb, just try to turn the lens. If it moves at all, that's how you can focus it. It's not supposed to move, though. But somehow yours did from the crash, so maybe it can.

Mako79 said:
This thread looks at changing to 5.4mm non-fish eye lens. It may assist you on refocusing the lens.
look at the youtube links where he does the mods to see if you can readjust the stock
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=12655&hilit=5.4mm&start=10

This is the exact same info I had for you that Mako79 hooked you up with. It is the best advise for you in this situation. I do have some doubt though that it is indeed your camera with the issue. I have seen that same amount of change after we upgraded the firmware from v3.00 to v 3.02, and about 6hrs after that to v3.04.

But now on to some of your facts. For a comparison, you have some odd things going on.
On the 1st & 2nd image, are we looking at video that is being paused to then take a screen shot, or.... Are we looking at one image, and then a paused video display of an area in the same room as the actual image? Either way, what you do have going on is not a normal way to go about doing a comparison. Both are resized to the same size.

Anytime something appears out of wack when images and video is concerned, the 1st thing you should do is replace the card you have been using in the camera. The cards can easily become corrupt where a crash is involved. Insert a replacement card and take a couple shots after you 1st check the camera settings to make sure they are still where you last saved them.

On the last image you shared, in the camera settings there is a area where you can set what part of the image you want the main focus point to be. Example, you can focus on a small area in the center of the image only, or out to nearly all of the image, and so on.

If this focus issue does come to the point in which you do need to open the lens and make an adjustment of some kind, I highly recommend you replace the lens with a flat one. And if possible maybe take a few pic's to share how got the results. Good luck to ya!

Definitely thanks for all that valuable information. I will definitely try the least invasive options first, by changing the SD card and maybe even reset all camera settings to default before taking a few pics. If that doesn't work then I will begin surgery on the camera assembly. I have ordered a new gimbal and camera that should arrive this week, but man that was an expensive mistake to have occur.

It's not a matter of if it will happen, it's a matter of when... for some reason that keeps going around in my head.

Thanks again for the outstanding support!

I'll be sure to keep this post updated with any findings from my investigation.

Everyone on this forum is so knowledgeable and helpful and posting with the intent of giving aid to the original poster. With that in mind, I feel bad correcting what I see as incorrect information. Anyay...

Anytime something appears out of wack when images and video is concerned, the 1st thing you should do is replace the card you have been using in the camera.

swapping out the micro SD card is good for some things and could help diagnose missing files, files that can't be opened, or video that stutters because the card can't accept the data stream fast enough but generally because the data is digital, it's either there or not and lack of focus would not be caused by a bad micro SD card.

On the last image you shared, in the camera settings there is a area where you can set what part of the image you want the main focus point to be.

I believe that setting, spot, center, or whole image, is for exposure, not focus.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4