Camera cradle

Reaction score
Hi every one, quick question.
Should I be using the gimbal cradle whenever not In use and/or transporting?

I believe you should but I have had my Phantom 4 for 16 months and used it one time when I was transporting it. No problems encountered so far.

Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF

The gimbal area is very delicate...To keep it safe.....I think its best to slip it on after a flying session !.it only takes a few seconds to do it.

Reactions: Pharm
Hi every one, quick question.
Should I be using the gimbal cradle whenever not In use and/or transporting?

Leave it to me be the one who thinks this can cause more harm than good, There is a really good chance that one day you will forget it and the damage that it can do is more than its worth.
We carry the drone , and take it everywhere and I mean and any way we can. See pic below , and we have never had an issue with the gimbal , so that is one less problem not having to worry about the cover.
Phantomrain.org

SNY03731-599104768c432-2000x1330-1.jpg

I keep mine on when not flying as it prevents the gimbal from smashing into it's physical stops and protects the lens from scratches.

Reactions: Pharm and OOO
Is the RC unit placed inside too..when you ride to a place to fly !

Leave it to me be the one who thinks this can cause more harm than good, There is a really good chance that one day you will forget it and the damage that it can do is more than its worth.
If you are saying that leaving the "gimbal lock" installed accidentally while flying will harm the gimbal, that is false. These mechanisms are not gear driven, no harm will occur if you accidentally turn on the craft with the gimbal lock installed on the craft. I find it almost impossible to accidentally leave the gimbal lock installed during flight since it covers the camera lens. When you look at the app video view, you won't have a video view, and you'll also get a "gimbal obstruction" warning. How can you miss those before take-off?

Gimbals are sensitive devices. I've had two fail on DJI craft without crashing, dropping or mishandling the craft. So any protection you can provide is a good thing IMO.

upload_2018-3-2_11-53-59.png

I like your motorcycle tube carrying method. Ready to fly with props installed is clever. However, without the gimbal lock installed inside that tube, every dip and bump (railroads tracks, speed bumps) you hit will push the landing legs together with the slick interior wall surface, it appears. If it had a flat floor it wouldn't be an issue. If you had the gimbal lock installed it would prevent undue stress of the legs being pulled together, while steadying the gimbal from swinging about, flaying all around uncontrolled. This would be especially helpful on dirt roads if you ever get up into the hills.

Last edited:
Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
If you are saying that leaving the "gimbal lock" installed accidentally while flying will harm the gimbal, that is false. These mechanisms are not gear driven, no harm will occur if you accidentally turn on the craft with the gimbal lock installed on the craft. I find it almost impossible to accidentally leave the gimbal lock installed during flight since it covers the camera lens. When you look at the app video view, you won't have a video view, and you'll also get a "gimbal obstruction" warning. How can you miss those before take-off?

Gimbals are sensitive devices. I've had two fail on DJI craft without crashing, dropping or mishandling the craft. So any protection you can provide is a good thing IMO.

View attachment 95731

I like your motorcycle tube carrying method. Ready to fly with props installed is clever. However, without the gimbal lock installed inside that tube, every dip and bump (railroads tracks, speed bumps) you hit will push the landing legs together with the slick interior wall surface, it appears. If it had a flat floor it wouldn't be an issue. If you had the gimbal lock installed it would prevent undue stress of the legs being pulled together, while steadying the gimbal from swinging about, flaying all around uncontrolled. This would be especially helpful on dirt roads if you ever get up into the hills.
John L i agree with YOU on ever thing you posted...all your answers were great and I hope to be very considered too..words from the wise and experienced are best thanks "John Locke" !

View attachment 95731

That is good to know john, but in the manual they stated it was essential not to leave the gimbal lock on, so i took that very seriously, I will consider protecting it on the bike. thanks.

That is good to know john, but in the manual they stated it was essential not to leave the gimbal lock on, so i took that very seriously, I will consider protecting it on the bike. thanks.
Yes, the manual is correct. It's essential to remove the gimbal lock to record aerial video.

There have seen no cases where damage has occurred (that I can recall) from leaving the gimbal lock on accidentally during the start up process, and many have reported forgetting it until they see the camera view is blurred with no camera view. The risk not using the lock is the fragile bearing mechanisms inside the brushless motor/servo assemblies. If those get dirty or damaged in the least bit, the gimbal can malfunction. So to maximize the life of the gimbal mechanism it helps to use the gimbal lock to steady things during storage. Many folks don't bother, and they are OK for a couple years or more. If they don't bang the craft around while in storage it might survive, however it's higher risk of damage if you were to drop your backpack, or case accidentally. The gimbal lock is a preventative measure to prevent early gimbal failure. Last thing you want is a gimbal failing at 13 months old, just outside of the warranty period.

If you ever buy a used craft, if the owner doesn't store the craft with the gimbal lock installed, I would pass on the deal. This can only be determined in person when you see the owner open the backpack or case, without forewarning what you're looking for. Buying a craft over the internet, when you can't see it in person, is more risk IMO, since you can't actually see the craft and how the owner takes care of it.

I’ve clipped a big tag to my neck strap bracket on my controller and another on the gimbal clamp say remove before flight.

We carry the drone , and take it everywhere and I mean and any way we can. See pic below , and we have never had an issue with the gimbal , so that is one less problem not having to worry about the cover.
Phantomrain.org

View attachment 95723

I assume you have no problems with vibration from your Harley. I’ve been wondering about throwing it in my tourpak in the case. Now if the weather will just cooperate.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irish_phantom