Calibrate or not to Calibrate ?

Reaction score
Pretty new to this and could use some advice...

I have a P4P+ and love it...

I have read that some say to calibrate before each flight and others say not to...

I understand if you change locations this should be done ? but if I fly from my back yard everytime does this need to be done ?

My sensor screen shows both the compas and IMU having about a 1/4 of green..

Good to go ?

Thanks for your input on this...

...Allen

If you're referring to the compass, then check out this guide.

Reactions: Jussaguy
Pretty new to this and could use some advice...

I have a P4P+ and love it...

I have read that some say to calibrate before each flight and others say not to...

I understand if you change locations this should be done ? but if I fly from my back yard everytime does this need to be done ?

My sensor screen shows both the compas and IMU having about a 1/4 of green..

Good to go ?

Thanks for your input on this...

...Allen

Owe 20+ GPS multirotors and do hundreds of flights professionally and privately every year having had only one crash in 3 years caused by a faulty battery.
I do calibrate every new flying day or when changing location.
Takes only a few minutes....

I keep mine in my truck everyday it has about 40000 miles of riding time. I cal every time I fly, no issues so far. P4 had it since last September.

Reactions: Jussaguy
I don't calibrate every time I fly, never have. I only when I move more than 100mi from the last calibration. With my P4 I have traveled 500mi away, forgot to calibrate, and had no problems, so I'm not sure it's that important anymore, but I still do it if I move locations more than 100mi (if I remember :p)

With P4 and later craft, having dual compasses, this doesn't seem to be as critical anymore. P3 craft had only one compass, so it wasr more important, but still, even with P3P I only calibrated when I fly in a location 100mi away from last calibration. I've had only one problem with a compass while flying my P3P, but none with P4 or Mavic. Compass issues seem to have totally gone away with the advent of dual compasses. Given that, if you calibrate every flight, there is more risk in introducing a bad calibration, when you could be saving time and risk by just flying without calibrating.

Never mind what "some" say.
Look at the top of p57 in your manual to see what DJI say.
You do not need to mess with the compass calibration of your P4 pro

Reactions: Jussaguy and SkyHog

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT