Calculating object size in a P4P still photo

Reaction score
I am struggling with calculating the size of objects in my P4P still photos.

Assuming a stock P4P camera, I should be able to determine a scale factor (inches/pixel) based solely on altitude.

Then, I just go into the image, count the number of pixels, and do the arithmetic.

Does this make sense? Does anyone know of a scaling factor table?

TNX

Assuming a stock P4P camera, I should be able to determine a scale factor (inches/pixel) based solely on altitude.

Then, I just go into the image, count the number of pixels, and do the arithmetic.

TNX

The easiest answer is to put a pad on the ground somewhere that has a known measurement and do the math from there.

TNX

You don't need a table - simple arithmetic will do. The P4P has a diagonal FOV of 84°. Assuming that your photos are full-resolution 3000 x 4000 pixels, that makes a nice 3:4:5 triangle, and so the diagonal length is 5000 pixel widths.

The distance, d, on the ground covered by 84° at a height, h, is simply given by:

d = 2h.tan(84/2)​

and so the length on the ground per pixel, l, is given by:

l = 2h.tan(84/2)/5000 = 0.00036h

and the dimension, L, of an object that is imaged by p pixels is therefore:

L = 0.00036hp

Those length quantities are valid in any units provided that they are all the same, i.e. if h is in feet then L is also in feet.

You don't need a table - simple arithmetic will do. The P4P has a diagonal FOV of 84°. Assuming that your photos are full-resolution 3000 x 4000 pixels, that makes a nice 3:4:5 triangle, and so the diagonal length is 5000 pixel widths.

The distance, d, on the ground covered by 84° at a height, h, is simply given by:

d = 2h.tan(84/2)​

L = 0.00036hp

Those length quantities are valid in any units provided that they are all the same, i.e. if h is in feet then L is also in feet.
I’m guessing you had something to do with rockets?

Thank you very much. I need to generate some size estimates of archaeological features for a presentation on Saturday, and this is an immense relief.

If you are involved with SAR in Los Alamos, I used to hang around with Gary C. in Santa Fe, who was quite active in local incident management and more. Small world.

TNX again.

d = 2h.tan(84/2)​

L = 0.00036hp

Thank you very much. I need to generate some size estimates of archaeological features for a presentation on Saturday, and this is an immense relief.

If you are involved with SAR in Los Alamos, I used to hang around with Gary C. in Santa Fe, who was quite active in local incident management and more. Small world.

TNX again.

OK - that method should work fine. It applies to any angle of image as long as h is the distance of the object from the camera, which is the height if looking straight down.

Yes - I worked with Gary. I think he's still with Santa Fe SAR but no longer actively working SAR.

I cant get this to work. I laid out 10 foot chalk markers on a parking lot. Did a test flight above it. Then plugged the numbers for this image into the formula:

h=123 ft
p = 600 pixels
scale = .00036

L = 26.8 ft when it should be around 10 ft.

what am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• DJI_0105-frag.jpg
    DJI_0105-frag.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 258
I cant get this to work. I laid out 10 foot chalk markers on a parking lot. Did a test flight above it. Then plugged the numbers for this image into the formula:

h=123 ft
p = 600 pixels
scale = .00036

what am I doing wrong?

There's not enough information for me to answer that. The image that you posted is 2126 × 768 pixels. Is that a simple crop from a 4000 x 3000 pixel image? That does not seem correct since that would make the diagonal field of view only 83 ft. At 123 ft AGL with an 84° lens the diagonal FOV should be 221 ft.

I tried another image, at a different altitude, and got 16 ft instead of 10 ft. Looks like the problem might be accurate altitude data.

Yes - in that case the multiplication factor is 0.000297 rather than 0.00036.

To elaborate:

L = 2hp.tan(84/2)/√(4856² + 3640²) = 0.000297hp

That is giving me calculated lengths of 13 ft. for 10 foot intervals. There must be something else going on? Are we re-inventing the wheel ?

That is giving me calculated lengths of 13 ft. for 10 foot intervals. There must be something else going on? Are we re-inventing the wheel ?

It's really simple geometric optics, so assuming that you have your height (or distance) correct, that suggests that the quoted field of view of the lens is not 84°on the diagonal of 4:3 images. There was a thread some time back discussing that.

If you are confident of your calibration test then you could simply adjust the scaling factor using your result - i.e. use 0.000297 x 10/13, which would be 0.000228.

I guess I would do an accurate calibration with the aircraft on the ground and viewing an object, or markers on a wall, of known width at a precisely measured distance. I don't have a P4P to do that test with unfortunately, but if you post a calibration image I'd be happy to check the numbers.

Last edited:
Good grief fellas, do I have to show you how to do this? Here you go.

Bud
Screen Shot 2018-11-03 at 12.14.33 PM.jpg

It's really simple geometric optics, so assuming that you have your height (or distance) correct, that suggests that the quoted field of view of the lens is not 84°on the diagonal of 4:3 images. There was a thread some time back discussing that.

If you are confident of your calibration test then you could simply adjust the scaling factor using your result - i.e. use 0.000297 x 10/13, which would be 0.000228.

I guess I would do an accurate calibration with the aircraft on the ground an viewing an object, or markers on a wall, of known width at a precisely measured distance. I don't have a P4P to do that test with unfortunately, but if you post a calibration image I'd be happy to check the numbers.

h=123 ft
p = 600 pixels
scale = .00036

what am I doing wrong?
I think the problem is that whatever you are measuring has to be at the extreme edges of your photograph for this to be right

I guess I would do an accurate calibration with the aircraft on the ground and viewing an object, or markers on a wall, of known width at a precisely measured distance. I don't have a P4P to do that test with unfortunately, but if you post a calibration image I'd be happy to check the numbers.
Go to a high school football field and try your measurements - big enough to minimize small errors.

And remember two things:

This only works when you shoot straight down (or straight ahead for vertical measuements)

Remember that it is the DIAGONAL, not the horizontal (across the width).

Quite a useful thread. Thanks guys.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic