Bye Bye Vision +

Apple has a app for the global tracker ! How are you mounting yours?
I loaded the app and it configures it and all. Makes it easy to use.

i just use Waze or Google Maps from my Samsung.

I have not figured out where to mount it on my P2V+. For now I will just cable tie the waterproof bag onto one of the leg, across the compass so as to avoid possible disruption of the compas.

Aqeel200,
Your results are consistent with normal GPS usage. A sat phone doesn't work indoors either. So the good GPS trackers (like yours), look to the satellites for position, and then to the phone carrier to assist and report the position. (If there's no GSM network, it can't tell anyone where it is). Without a view of the sky, it's using cell towers only (if it's in range), so not as acurate. You probably already know this, took me a while to get it clear in my head. :)

Mori55 said:
Just got m global tracker works great BUT CANT SHUT IT OFF!
Any ideas ?

Mine also did not work. I checked with the reseller here. He immediately response with full confidence that the on-off button was disabled on purpose by the manufacturer because too may complain about it. He asked me to treat it like a phone..i never turn off my phone during charge..regardless, mine works as per tests. need a clear sky for definite/acceptable accuracy tho.

If we are worried about this then perhaps when you fly we ask it to report position every 2 minutes. This way it would give last position before going into tree cover. Costs more though....

Very sorry about your loss!
I have now had two near fly-away experiences and both where related to lost GPS signal.
May I ask if you noticed on your screen if you had >6 satellites?
Did your bird fly away in the direction of the wind?
You had FPV but no control signal?
If you had control signal did you try to switch to ATTI and fly? (This is what saved me, ATTI and FPV to fly home manually)

just my opinion though...

gps sat signal availability (<6) may contribute to a lot of flyaways when flying in gps mode, i think. The reliability of these gps Sats signal is quite low at times, maybe.

DJI Apps could have the intelligence to measure the minimum 6 GPS Sat signal (ie. Signal to Noice ratio or db or whatever the measurement is) and prewarn user "signal strength of the minimum 6 GPS sat is low or intermittent". Low and intermittent by means of a safe timely threshold.

At least user can know that risk of flyaway due to GPS signal may happen. its users choice either to continue flying or just bring it home the soonest possible to fly another day or location.

I believe it will reduce flyaways, i believe.

just a thought

Aqeel200 said:
just my opinion though...

gps sat signal availability (<6) may contribute to a lot of flyaways when flying in gps mode, i think. The reliability of these gps Sats signal is quite low at times, maybe.

DJI Apps could have the intelligence to measure the minimum 6 GPS Sat signal (ie. Signal to Noice ratio or db or whatever the measurement is) and prewarn user "signal strength of the minimum 6 GPS sat is low or intermittent". Low and intermittent by means of a safe timely threshold.

At least user can know that risk of flyaway due to GPS signal may happen. its users choice either to continue flying or just bring it home the soonest possible to fly another day or location.

I believe it will reduce flyaways, i believe.

just a thought

Agree 100%
I think firmware and app updates can improve the situation a lot!
Warnings like you suggested is a great idea and I think a firmware update could make the Phantom "re-connect" faster when a GPS lock is lost.
It would even make sense that the Phantom automatically switches to ATTI when it loose GPS lock.

The aircraft signals the GPS situation with the rear LEDs. In addition, the satellite situation is displayed on your iPhone, etc. Are you saying you think DJI should do something to make us pay more attention to the information that is already available?? A pop-up on the screen warning the the number of satellites locked in has changed might be a good thing, since that little icon can be tough to see and monitor.

SilentAV8R said:
The aircraft signals the GPS situation with the rear LEDs. In addition, the satellite situation is displayed on your iPhone, etc. Are you saying you think DJI should do something to make us pay more attention to the information that is already available?? A pop-up on the screen warning the the number of satellites locked in has changed might be a good thing, since that little icon can be tough to see and monitor.
Could be same kind of warning as low battery. From my experience lost GPS lock is VERY SERIOUS and you have to take immediate and smart measures not to have a fly-away. Specially if it´s a bit windy.

first threshold warning

"you seems to have low or intermittent GPS signal"..internal Threshold measurement A

2nd threshold warning

"you seems reach the minimum (6) GPS sat lock with very low or intermittent GPS signal. It is recommended to land your Phantom soonest to avoid a flyaway"...internal measurement, signal level and sat count is critical - Threshold level B.

whatever Threshold Level A and Level B is. DJI should know best. Signal may improve after Threshold A...another short pop msg "normal GPS mode" with the GPS icon back to normal.

something like that...

SilentAV8R said:
A pop-up on the screen warning the the number of satellites locked in has changed might be a good thing, since that little icon can be tough to see and monitor.

It isn't hard to see that the GPS indicator is blue & locked though.

Dirty Bird said:
SilentAV8R said:
A pop-up on the screen warning the the number of satellites locked in has changed might be a good thing, since that little icon can be tough to see and monitor.

True, but I am unclear as to what the downside is of having an alert to change in that status?

Mori55 said:
Aqeel200 said:
thanks randall. yes, it is pricey and furthermore I am a Malaysian Phantom newbie...the link that I showed is quite reputable here with lots of car theft recovery history - only about <USD50. But i worry about the magnetic casing.

edit

both product (TRAX and the link i showed) have the same function. In my location, I just need to subscribe to a sim card either prepaid/postpaid.

another link. interesting as it is also available in the US.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUWz6FQfXN0
hope it's a better tracker than flight 270 had. Can't believe they can't find that plane.
If they're looking for flight 270 I'm not surprised they haven't found it... It was flight MH370!!! Lol...

Dirty Bird said:
SilentAV8R said:

Actually Bird it isn't always easy to see this. I did an experiment last night on my back porch. I turned on the system in a heavily treed area with intermittent satellite visibility. As the SATs went from 4 to 5 to 6 back to 4 etc. if I wasn't looking at the screen at the moment it dropped to 4 I could have missed the intermittentness. Also I had the radar up and noticed when the sat count dropped from 6 to 4 the arrow moved way to the edge of the circles then returned to the center when SATs returned to 6.

I worry about the popups. I flew at my cousin's house last week and it is within 5 miles of BWI airport. There was a popup warning that I was height restricted. First time I have seen that...no biggie. But as I was flying, if FPV dropped out for a moment the popup would return, and it hard crashed the app, or more specifically my Wi-Fi extender. I rebooted the phone...still no video. Had to reboot the Extender to get FPV back!

Same style of warning as with low-battery would be optimal!
In any case AWARENESS of this issue will help ALOT!
Is you Phantom flying away and out of control? Check satellites and switch to ATTI ASAP!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik