Buying Used P3SE - Bad idea?

Reaction score
I have bought a used P3SE on eBay. Ok, now don't start laughing :( It arrived today and I just want to try to check it out to make sure everything is ok before I continue to read the manual before my first real flight. Of course it seems as though he sent a laptop charger and no cable to charge the controller. However, there is a little power in all the batteries so I put it all together and turn things on, connect controller and have control of everything. Start the motors and hover, increase altitude and get two warnings. One states that the limited altitude is 30 m and distance of 50 m. That may be for good reason, but one was a motor overload and that it was coming down or something to that effect. First when the motors begin to rotate, it was visually obvious that one of them was a slower speed than the others. I acknowledge that the flight battery is low (about 25%), but my first thoughts are, "do I need to be asking for a refund instead of the right charger" ? This is my first drone so I am not sure what all is normal or imagined but it doesn't seem like I should be able to see a difference in motor speed on the ground. I got what I thought was a good deal for what was in the set up (extra battery, backpack, carbon fiber props) but if I have to start by replacing motors, thats not where I want to be. (BTW, price $430 + shipping)

I think I may have made a mistake but would like to get some advice.

I would stop whatever it is you're doing and read read read the manual. Please don't fly again until you read the manual. Very important.

Sorry, although that is good advice and I had no intentions of "flying" till I followed that advise that I had already found here on the forum, but it doesn't help me with what I ask for. I am going to say that you have more experience than I will most likely every have which is the reason I was asking for help and advice. Still hoping to get some help.

I have bought a used P3SE on eBay. Ok, now don't start laughing :( It arrived today and I just want to try to check it out to make sure everything is ok before I continue to read the manual before my first real flight. Of course it seems as though he sent a laptop charger and no cable to charge the controller. However, there is a little power in all the batteries so I put it all together and turn things on, connect controller and have control of everything. Start the motors and hover, increase altitude and get two warnings. One states that the limited altitude is 30 m and distance of 50 m. That may be for good reason, but one was a motor overload and that it was coming down or something to that effect. First when the motors begin to rotate, it was visually obvious that one of them was a slower speed than the others. I acknowledge that the flight battery is low (about 25%), but my first thoughts are, "do I need to be asking for a refund instead of the right charger" ? This is my first drone so I am not sure what all is normal or imagined but it doesn't seem like I should be able to see a difference in motor speed on the ground. I got what I thought was a good deal for what was in the set up (extra battery, backpack, carbon fiber props) but if I have to start by replacing motors, thats not where I want to be. (BTW, price $430 + shipping)

I think I may have made a mistake but would like to get some advice.
Follow "Mark the Droner". For you and me (and also the other people) it is not possible to see a different in the speed of the motor. We all have human eyes.
I also think it is better to read the manual and fly outdoor before claim something. Help in this forum is alway available but... you have to find some basic information by yourself.
For example, see this: "altitude is 30 m and distance is 50 m". Also, your RC is charged by a cable like this:

61F8%2BPOmHaL._SX425_.jpg

Last edited:
The battery is too low to launch the aircraft in the air. I know you want to test it first, but may sure to charge the battery to at least 80% to do the test.

The charger that looks like a laptop charger is to charge the batteries, when you do your flight and it is restricted to 30 meters that is because it will be on beginners mode which is easy to turn off in settings ,and yes make sure you fully charge remote and craft batteries before you fly . Hopefully all motors are fine sometimes one may look like it's not going as fast but if it hovers perfectly they should be all good. Good luck , Dave

The charger that looks like a laptop charger is to charge the batteries, when you do your flight and it is restricted to 30 meters that is because it will be on beginners mode which is easy to turn off in settings ,and yes make sure you fully charge remote and craft batteries before you fly . Hopefully all motors are fine sometimes one may look like it's not going as fast but if it hovers perfectly they should be all good. Good luck , Dave
I just bought a 3SE last month. It came with 2 cables. The first cable has 2 outputs, 1 charge the controller and the second to charge the drone battery. The cable pictured looks like the one they sent to pull pictures from the camera through the micro USB port.

I just bought a 3SE last month. It came with 2 cables. The first cable has 2 outputs, 1 charge the controller and the second to charge the drone battery. The cable pictured looks like the one they sent to pull pictures from the camera through the micro USB port.
What kind of cable do you use to load your RC?

What kind of cable do you use to load your RC?
IF you're referring to a firmware update I have not performed one yet as it is up to date. From what I have read it is done through the SD card, but done quote me on that. From what I've read the extra USB cable is for downloading pics from the SE. Just thinking if the pics are on the SD card you would think you would be able to upload to it also, which would mean you should be able to attach the USB cable to your computer and drone to perform updates. Again just an assumption as I have not needed to do it yet.

IF you're referring to a firmware update I have not performed one yet as it is up to date. From what I have read it is done through the SD card, but done quote me on that. From what I've read the extra USB cable is for downloading pics from the SE. Just thinking if the pics are on the SD card you would think you would be able to upload to it also, which would mean you should be able to attach the USB cable to your computer and drone to perform updates. Again just an assumption as I have not needed to do it yet.
Let me help you. You also charge your remote with this cable.

DJI-Phantom-3-Standard-26.jpg

Last edited:
Just saw you asked about the RC, sorry thought you were asking about the drone. I don't use the USB to charge. I use the charger it came with, the double ended cable for the RC and drone battery.

It arrived today and I just want to try to check it out to make sure everything is ok before I continue to read the manual before my first real flight.
The main reason why DJI decided to reveal the manual right after you opened the box is to read it before doing anything else. Click on the link bellow if you prefer a soft copy
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom_3_se/20170810/Phantom+3+SE+User+Manual+V1.0.pdf

Of course it seems as though he sent a laptop charger and no cable to charge the controller
Quick start guide page 4: Charging the batteries: It seems that you have to charge your controller using the provided "USB" cable

That may be for good reason, but one was a motor overload and that it was coming down or something to that effect. First when the motors begin to rotate, it was visually obvious that one of them was a slower speed than the others.
A quad copter has four motors, and each of them has individual ESC (electric speed controller) that controls the revolution of the motors. ESC is getting power from the PDP (power distribution board). As you can see, motor speed is regulated by the ESC and is managed by the flight controller. Since you have a finished product, you don't have to worry about that as long as it hovers while maintaining its position

One states that the limited altitude is 30 m and distance of 50 m.
page 34 of Phantom 3 SE's manual said:
The aircraft is set to “Beginner Mode” by default. The aircraft cannot fly 30 meters (98 feet) higher and beyond the recorded Home Point under beginner mode. Disable this mode in the setting page.

The main reason why DJI decided to reveal the manual right after you opened the box is to read it before doing anything else. Click on the link bellow if you prefer a soft copy
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom_3_se/20170810/Phantom+3+SE+User+Manual+V1.0.pdf

Quick start guide page 4: Charging the batteries: It seems that you have to charge your controller using the provided "USB" cable

A quad copter has four motors, and each of them has individual ESC (electric speed controller) that controls the revolution of the motors. ESC is getting power from the PDP (power distribution board). As you can see, motor speed is regulated by the ESC and is managed by the flight controller. Since you have a finished product, you don't have to worry about that as long as it hovers while maintaining its position

page 34 of Phantom 3 SE's manual said:
The aircraft is set to “Beginner Mode” by default. The aircraft cannot fly 30 meters (98 feet) higher and beyond the recorded Home Point under beginner mode. Disable this mode in the setting page.

I understand that the battery pack charger looks similar to a laptop charger but I was basing my statement on the fact that it was a round coaxial power connector vs the flat tab connectors that would be needed for the flight battery. He sent no cable for the remote. When I contacted him, his answer was "I couldn't find the charger". So with that deception (of sending the wrong charger and no cable for the controller hoping I wouldn't figure it out) I sent it back and got a refund, only loosing $25 on the deal. I have ordered and a new one from DJI with DJI Care and will have read the manual 2 or 3 times before it gets here. I sure battery power may have been a factor in the one motor slower and may have even been the reason for the over load. (yes, I know I have human eyes but I could see a significant difference in the speed) Bottom line once I have been lied to, I tend to not want to do business with a person. Learning to fly safely is a big enough challenge to have to add in problems with a used drone... I'm sure there are good ways to buy used but ebay is not one of them. I do a lot of business on ebay but deep down I knew this transaction was more risk than I should be taking. Thanks for the help that did eventually surface.

Reactions: RJ Regalado
I understand that the battery pack charger looks similar to a laptop charger but I was basing my statement on the fact that it was a round coaxial power connector vs the flat tab connectors that would be needed for the flight battery. He sent no cable for the remote. When I contacted him, his answer was "I couldn't find the charger". So with that deception (of sending the wrong charger and no cable for the controller hoping I wouldn't figure it out) I sent it back and got a refund, only loosing $25 on the deal. I have ordered and a new one from DJI with DJI Care and will have read the manual 2 or 3 times before it gets here. I sure battery power may have been a factor in the one motor slower and may have even been the reason for the over load. (yes, I know I have human eyes but I could see a significant difference in the speed) Bottom line once I have been lied to, I tend to not want to do business with a person. Learning to fly safely is a big enough challenge to have to add in problems with a used drone... I'm sure there are good ways to buy used but ebay is not one of them. I do a lot of business on ebay but deep down I knew this transaction was more risk than I should be taking. Thanks for the help that did eventually surface.
The cable that came with my 3SE charges the battery and controller. It has the AC wall adapter on one end and a double connector on the other, 1 end for the battery and another for the RC. Sounds like you were sent the wrong cables maybe???

The cable that came with my 3SE charges the battery and controller. It has the AC wall adapter on one end and a double connector on the other, 1 end for the battery and another for the RC. Sounds like you were sent the wrong cables maybe???

Most definitely I was! He even admitted that he couldn't find the correct charger and that it was a laptop charger that he sent. Like I say, once I am lied to about one thing, nothing he told me was regarded as the truth, so I thought I would be better off out of that deal.

Last edited:
Most definitely I was! He even admitted that he couldn't find the correct charger and that it was a laptop charger that he sent. Like I say, once I am lied to about one thing, nothing he told me was regarded as the truth, so I thought I would be better off out of that deal.
Agreed!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers