Build or phantom 2?

Howzit said:
I'm currently getting 2.5 miles with 400mw 1.3ghz, limited only by battery - more or less perfect video all the way out.

If you're using 1.3ghz for video tx, then what freq are you using for control?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I have built a TBS Discovery Pro and also have a P2 H3-3D.

They both do the same thing, that is get a GoPro camera aloft in a stabilized manor to take pictures.
If I could only have one it would probably be the Phantom. The Pro is heavy and has less flight time. It is a bit more stable in windy conditions. The cost is higher but you have built it and will be better at repair if needed.
Tom

golgotha said:
Howzit said:
I'm currently getting 2.5 miles with 400mw 1.3ghz, limited only by battery - more or less perfect video all the way out.

If you're using 1.3ghz for video tx, then what freq are you using for control?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

UHF (433mhz)

You can use 1.3ghz video and 2.4ghz control with proper filtration.

What about running one of DJI's 450's?

I looked at the discovery I liked it. However if you recommend the phantom over it then ok!

The hang up on the batteries is problem for me. I would rather run normal lipo's as opposed to $150+ lipo's.

I'm digging the 450 but have heard some bad things about the propellers. Unless you guys would recommend a build other than the 450.

I would suggest starting with something like the F450 to get familiar with building your own. It's a simple and inexpensive but very versatile platform that can be configured in a vast number of ways to suit various needs. If you're not lifting anything bigger than a gopro + gimbal then it would be the good place to start...and the investment is relatively small.

OI Photography said:
I would suggest starting with something like the F450 to get familiar with building your own. It's a simple and inexpensive but very versatile platform that can be configured in a vast number of ways to suit various needs. If you're not lifting anything bigger than a gopro + gimbal then it would be the good place to start...and the investment is relatively small.

GO pro, gimbal, and everything for FPV. But I assume that iwl be good.

You don't think the discovery will be better?

poohbear said:
Also, can someone point me in a good direction to buy the stuff? lol

I really didn't read through the thread but this started from vision vs P2 to team black sheep to 450 with a 1500 budget. and ending in scratch build.

I think you have to list out what you want to accomplish. I should have started there because I spent $1400 on a P2 with H2 gimbal and gopro 3+black and 5.8 Ghz FPV.

don't get me wrong.. i love my phantom and it's in a backpack for travel.

What I ended up with is I'm scratch building now. Im putting together a Mini H-quad for sports FPV flying. and also a Tricopter for Aerial Photography because the Tricopter has great flight characteristics ... I love the Yaw control! Also it folds into a stick LOL.

But you have to decide what exactly you want to do with your first investment. there is a difference between speed, aerobatics, sports flying, distance FPV flying. Aerial Photography... ETC

The reason why people like the phantom is it's simplicity and ease of use for AP and FPV.

Howzit said:
UHF (433mhz)

You can use 1.3ghz video and 2.4ghz control with proper filtration.

Thanks, I've heard that before, however I've also read horror stories from folks that have tried and failed using 1.3 and 2.4, even with filtering.

I'll try 433 and 1.3 on a new build I'm putting together. Too bad I've already spent so much money on 5.8 gear..

Based on reports of flyaways, serious compass problems and Phantoms shutting off mid-flight, I'm not sure I would personally call it reliable.

Diesel31 said:
Add iosd for about $69 and upgrade FPV antennas, puts right back on $1,500, but that's a reliable setup with very stable footage.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik