662 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0629.JPG
    IMG_0629.JPG
    576.4 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0630.JPG
    IMG_0630.JPG
    533.2 KB · Views: 82
Reactions: Capt KO and snowy23
Sorry not too good with the computer. Above pictures are of the closed bridge to Howlands Island. It is a NYS land management area now. At one time was a WWII German p.o.w. camp. all the buildings have been destroyed. you can hike the area though.

Sorry not too good with the computer. Above pictures are of the closed bridge to Howlands Island. It is a NYS land management area now. At one time was a WWII German p.o.w. camp. all the buildings have been destroyed. you can hike the area though.
Niteflyer, Thank you for sharing these photos. As soon as I saw the leading photo I thought that looks like a Bailey type bridge from the second war. So when I read your text it sort of confirmed my initial thoughts. These venerable old bridges must be getting more scarce with every passing decade. I wonder what the design life was intended to be for these rapid build bridges.
All the best, Martin

Niteflyer, Thank you for sharing these photos. As soon as I saw the leading photo I thought that looks like a Bailey type bridge from the second war. So when I read your text it sort of confirmed my initial thoughts. These venerable old bridges must be getting more scarce with every passing decade. I wonder what the design life was intended to be for these rapid build bridges.
All the best, Martin
Hi, Martin
That’s interesting. I didn’t know that. There is another one down river that is a bit bigger. That ones also closed. There are also some still in use in the surrounding area. One is in Seneca Falls New York. It supposedly was Frank Capra’s inspiration for It’s a Wonderful Life. I hope to get back in the air soon and fly them. Thanks for the information.
Mark

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj