BREAKING!!! U.S. Will Require Drones to Be Registered

Well.................... my dad can beat up your dad!! :p

I'm an AMA member, joined this year and already re-upped for 3 more. From what I've seen and read, which isn't a lot, I'm going to agree with Steve. I think they would drop us drone guys in a heartbeat if it saves their original base. Just a feeling, nothing scientific or personal. I hope they prove me wrong.............. I'll cry Uncle here if they do!

But I'm leaning more towards GoodnNuff's acceptance of registering these things. It's coming and there is nothing we can do about it. I also believe it will help to separate the serious operators from the riff-raff. I'm about as anti-big government as you can get, but you learn to pick your battles after being in the game for awhile. This is a battle that we can't win. It sucks, and smarts, but it is what it is. Someone complains about my drone............. screw you! I'm registered!

Yes, it was.
In February the FAA published a notice of proposed rulemaking (NPRM) entitled: "Operation and Certification of Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems". It was headline news for weeks, and is frequently referred to in most discussions of drones in the media.

The petition modifies 14 CFR Parts 21, 43, 45, 47, 61, 91, 101, and 183 to accommodate and define Small UAS aircraft, and it creates Part 107 to regulate the commercial operation of small UAS aircraft. It will make the Section 333 exemptions mostly obsolete and it creates an new category of Airman's Certificate for Small UAS.

I am amazed that no one, especially the AMA has made any noise over the proposed changes to Part 101 'Definitions', but that should be in another thread.

The registration proposal is news because of its' sudden appearance. There are an estimated million personal drones in the wild today and hundreds of thousands of hours of flight experience of these aircraft, and there is not one verified incident of a personal drone contacting a manned aircraft. Not one. Yet the FAA seems intent on issuing an SFAR ( FAA Special Federal Aviation Regulation) because of some imagined ("Minority Report") emergency. For something that has never happened.

What emergency?

Agreed!

Well.................... my dad can beat up your dad!! :p

I'm an AMA member, joined this year and already re-upped for 3 more. From what I've seen and read, which isn't a lot, I'm going to agree with Steve. I think they would drop us drone guys in a heartbeat if it saves their original base. Just a feeling, nothing scientific or personal. I hope they prove me wrong.............. I'll cry Uncle here if they do!

But I'm leaning more towards GoodnNuff's acceptance of registering these things. It's coming and there is nothing we can do about it. I also believe it will help to separate the serious operators from the riff-raff. I'm about as anti-big government as you can get, but you learn to pick your battles after being in the game for awhile. This is a battle that we can't win. It sucks, and smarts, but it is what it is. Someone complains about my drone............. screw you! I'm registered!

Also Agree... I just hope that it stays as a simple registration...

But I'm leaning more towards GoodnNuff's acceptance of registering these things. It's coming and there is nothing we can do about it.
I am not opposed to having something in place that encourages responsible operations. Registration and even operator licensing may be in our near future. My main complaint is the way the FAA is handling the issue as an emergency worthy of an SFAR that bypasses the public comment period.

Reactions: jcknows0
Thanks for sharing your opinion. That is all it is. Most of us who have been members of the AMA for some time do not share your assumptions since we have years of experience with the AMA.

It was the AMA who introduced me to drones over 4 years ago. Long before they were a household word. You joined last year, didn't you?
Thanks for your opinion but let's call them UAS... The majority of the populas associates the word drone with the military.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Thanks for your opinion but let's call them UAS... The majority of the populas associates the word drone with the military.
That train left the station long ago. The general population has seen so many news stories about recreational drones that they are well aware that they aren't military equipment.
No-one in the general populace calls anything a UAS.

Reactions: GoodnNuff

They are drones. You can call them whatever you like, but the term "drone" is permanently affixed in the minds of the public and no childish protest from a purist will ever change that. Just as all copies are a Xerox, all sticky cellophane is Scotch Tape and all facial tissues are Kleenex. All personal sUAS are drones. You can call them multiengine counter rotating quad configuration model aircraft, but everyone else knows they are drones.

They are drones. You can call them whatever you like, but the term "drone" is permanently affixed in the minds of the public and no childish protest from a purist will ever change that. Just as all copies are a Xerox, all sticky cellophane is Scotch Tape and all facial tissues are Kleenex. All personal sUAS are drones. You can call them multiengine counter rotating quad configuration model aircraft, but everyone else knows they are drones.
Exactly the problem.

The Department of Transportation and the FAA have published new details about plans to register unmanned aircraft systems and set out their legal authority to regulate all UAS of any size, including model aircraft.

In a notice published in the Federal Register on Oct. 21, the DOT cited existing regulations that already require the registration of all aircraft, including UAS, and noted that Congress has confirmed the FAA’s authority to regulate unmanned aircraft of all types. And while the FAA has exercised discretion and chosen not to enforce that requirement on recreational UAS in the past, the dramatic increase in reports of unsafe UAS operations has caused DOT to reconsider that practice.

It appears that DJI will be on the registration task force. Hopefully they can automate the process so it is easy and efficient.

DJI Selected as Member of FAA Drone Registration Task Force | sUAS News

Well... On second thought... The gov't? And DJI? :eek: That's a dangerous combination!

What will likely happen is once you get your Phantom, the software won't let you fly it until you send it back to DJI for "registration" (which will take 8 weeks and you'll have no idea what's going on) and then it will come back with a piece of paper you have to take to a gov't office, wait in line for 6 hours to get it stamped and then you're registered!

Repeat every 6 months!

It appears that DJI will be on the registration task force. Hopefully they can automate the process so it is easy and efficient.

DJI Selected as Member of FAA Drone Registration Task Force | sUAS News

Well... On second thought... The gov't? And DJI? :eek: That's a dangerous combination!

What will likely happen is once you get your Phantom, the software won't let you fly it until you send it back to DJI for "registration" (which will take 8 weeks and you'll have no idea what's going on) and then it will come back with a piece of paper you have to take to a gov't office, wait in line for 6 hours to get it stamped and then you're registered!

Repeat every 6 months!

Brendan Schulmann is probably the very best advocate for hobby drone flyers that we could wish for on the Task Force. This is really good news for us.

Enjoy.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Will the FAA / AMA require registration to this RC Helicopter?

The FAA is taking comments on the registration of UAS as some one else mentioned. There is still time. There was a link that showed that comments were closed but the one below works if not go to www.regulations.gov and search for:

"Clarification of Applicability of Aircraft Registration Requirements for Unmanned Aircraft Systems and Request for Information Regarding Electronic Registration"

This link worked for me: http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=FAA-2015-4378-0022

These are the comments that I submitted:

I believe that requiring registration of UAS is an unnecessary burden and will not accomplish the goals of the DOT/FAA. Just as there are many people that drive without a license, automobile registration or insurance or many people that continue to aim laser pointers to aircraft, you are going to have only good citizens registering UAS and bad citizens that will brake the law no matter what, will not register at all.

It is not fair to target UAS, when there are 55 pounds Remote Control 3/4 Scale Airplanes carrying 1/2 gallon of Nitro Fuel that can fly farther and higher than the average UAS, and will be excluded from the registration requirements.
Why not require registration of Kites, Model Rockets, all Remote Control aircraft under 55 pounds, Laser Pointers, Fireworks, bullets, hang-gliders, parachute jumpers or anything that can use the National Airspace System?

The FAA is already burdened with the registration process of regular aircraft, taking as much as 3 months to do so. Registration may also have additional implications/burdens for the average hobbyist. The States that currently have Aircraft registration, charge sales tax, fees, property tax, etc, are going to be inclined to also charge those fees to UAS, just because the FAA requires registration of UAS, again burdening the hobbyist.

The incidents reported by the FAA have been refuted by the AMA analysis of those incidents, therefore making an issue of something that does not exist. The local authorities should prosecute violators of the current laws to the full but let's not make more unnecessary laws.

Reactions: pchin2
Another candidate for registration that the AMA does not want to register:

I guess the AMA does not want to regulate this on either:

It's turning into something like the gun control debate. You have people who are trying to pass laws on a subject that they have no clue about. Drones are becoming the "evil black rifle" of the hobby industry and the ones who are obeying the law are going to be the ones paying the price and there will always be some fool that flys a drone where it shouldn't be. It's just like gun control "blame the gun" not the hand that pulls the trigger, in this case is "blame the drone" not the operator

It's turning into something like the gun control debate. You have people who are trying to pass laws on a subject that they have no clue about. Drones are becoming the "evil black rifle" of the hobby industry and the ones who are obeying the law are going to be the ones paying the price and there will always be some fool that flys a drone where it shouldn't be. It's just like gun control "blame the gun" not the hand that pulls the trigger, in this case is "blame the drone" not the operator

One big exception however is there is no "Drone" amendment !

Reactions: Pulsar747n

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.