BREAKING!!! U.S. Will Require Drones to Be Registered

You cannot legislate morality and/or behavior. So it's safe to say most are there to bring in revenue for the taxing authority.

Really? So why have a mortgage interest deduction, and child credit deductions? They reduce revenue. .gov is playing social engineer with the tax code.

One of the most fundamental rules of economics is this: if you make something more expensive, you get less of it, and if you make something less expensive you get more of it. By adding fees to the cost of owning drones, you'll get fewer drones. I suspect that's what they want.

Reactions: JKDSensei
You've never met a tax you didn't like, have you?! :p

BTW....................... got an e-mail from AMA today. They're trying to get their members exempt from registering. But they're "for" registering for non-members. Like was guessed at earlier, they seem willing to throw most flyers under the bus.

1) I hate most taxes. Much of my normal work time seems to be tax related. But taxes are a necessary evil in a democracy. If we don't tax ourselves, who will repair our roads? Who will regulate our safety? Who will pay our armed forces? Yes, taxes are from a big, cumbersome, sometimes inhuman and unforgiving bureaucracy, but it's a hell of a lot better than the alternative.

1.1) Fees are not taxes.

2) I am more cynical about the AMA that the organization would happily throw everyone else under the bus for their members benefit. I've said this before and was immediately rebuked by the AMA faithful. (Yes, I am still an AMA member). But this latest communication from them seems to support my opinion. But, on the other hand as a member, I expect them to advocate for me.

The AMA could be looking at it like this: "What an incentive to gain a million new members. We won't have to keep raising the dues because our membership is getting older and as old members die off, there's no new members in the pipeline." (In fairness, all membership organizations are facing the same demographic shift. Young people just don't "join" anything).

But what looks like a windfall for the AMA could also be the end of the organization as they (the old farts) know it. Imagine the old guard outnumbered ten to one by new members. Young people who don't like the rules made by the old farts. What did we call that when we were that age? "Brave new World"?

But if those youngest are require by law to have liability insurance the AMA may look good at a cost of $75 a year for $2.5 million coverage.

But if those youngest are require by law to have liability insurance the AMA may look good at a cost of $75 a year for $2.5 million coverage.
Insurance is the jurisdiction of the states, so don't expect any insurance mandate from the FAA.

Insurance is the jurisdiction of the states, so don't expect any insurance mandate from the FAA.

You mean "jurisdiction of the states', as in the Affordable Care Act ("Obamacare"), Social Security Disability Insurance, VA health insurance, and other federal boondoggles?

You mean "jurisdiction of the states', as in the Affordable Care Act ("Obamacare"), Social Security Disability Insurance, VA health insurance, and other federal boondoggles?
Wow, how fast the tin foil hat crowd comes out.
Would it help if I added the word LIABILITY?
And for the Fox viewers, "Obamacare" is not insurance. It is a mandate that everyone must have some form of health insurance, but the insurance is purchased from insurance companies licensed to operate in the individual's state.
SSDI works just fine, as does Social Security. The funding would be solvent forever if the rich would just pay their fair share of the SSI tax. As it is now, nothing over an income of $118,500 is taxed. In other words, the lower and middle class are funding the Social Security promise almost entirely.

It would take a change in federal law for the FAA to be able to mandate insurance for flying your drone.

What tin foil hat? Those are all real. As for whether Obamacare is "insurance", if it walks like a duck...

They said it wasn't a tax, but a fee. Then, when the Supreme Court said it needed to be a tax, well, they said it was a tax. They say it's not "insurance", but that depends upon what the word "is" means.

SSDI works just fine, as does Social Security

Huh? It's a ****** Ponzi scheme that's going to be insolvent in less than 15 years! Young people paying in now won't be able to collect a dime, but they'll pay.

It would take a change in federal law for the FAA to be able to mandate insurance for flying your drone.

You mean like the change in federal law that enabled President Obama to selectively allow certain companies and groups (AFL-CIO, for example) to opt out of Obamacare without Congress changing the law, or to delay implementation without Congress changing the law, or the "changes in federal law" that allow the BATF to effectively ban certain firearms and ammunition without a change in the law by Congress, or the "changes in federal law" that allow the BLM to designate land as off-limits to mining and other commercial activity without a change in law by Congress? Those "changes in federal law", and many more like them?

If the FAA decides you need insurance for your drone, you will need insurance for your drone, and they won't to go Congress for approval.

Fees for aircraft reg has been 5$ for a long time. It will prob increase at some point in the future. Unfotunately the aircraft definition which was written in the far past did not forsee the future. It included all that flys thru the air. At the time there was only larger manned aircraft. Now the faa is using that definition to include all that flys thru the air. Even RC paper airplanes.

Monkeyleg is commenting under the correct assumption that our government is not working as designed.
Illegal manipulation is being used at every step.

"Unrelated garbage" is just another way of saying "I disagree, so your point of view is not welcomed".
A dangerous and growing trend in the way things are going. I hear phrases like this coming from the BLM movement often.
Also student groups demanding their "safe zones" at Universities.

Carry on.

Well, if you look back over recent years, there have been some astonishing changes to Federal law that a decade ago would have been unthinkable including the ACA. Patriot act....for primers.
All that's necessary is stack the SCOTUS, Congress and POTUS with enough foreigners or sell outs willing to call black, white....and black is now white. Magic. Constitution be damned.

So as they say....stuff....happens (that's not exactly what they say...but hey, it's a family oriented forum....I think).

I heard on a laywer podcast that this is the first time in history that flying in regulated airspace can bring federal criminal charges against the operator. I call this control creep.

On the flip side. Shooting at an aircraft whether manned or unmanned is also a fed offence. Can bring up to 250k and 20 yrs as punishment. Dis: i am not a lawyer.

1) I hate most taxes. Much of my normal work time seems to be tax related. But taxes are a necessary evil in a democracy. If we don't tax ourselves, who will repair our roads? Who will regulate our safety? Who will pay our armed forces? Yes, taxes are from a big, cumbersome, sometimes inhuman and unforgiving bureaucracy, but it's a hell of a lot better than the alternative.

Sure, some taxation is necessary. But I think what he means, and what most Americans see is the shameless waste and corruption leading to disappearance of billions of tax dollars as a real problem.

We REALLY need to fix this problem. Unfortunately, VERY few elected officials seem interested in that problem. Maybe because they're benefiting from it? There are no more Democrats or Republicans. Only government cronies who have no respect for the framework that made this nation great.

First off, you guys are commenting on a thread that is out of date.

Fees for aircraft reg has been 5$ for a long time. It will prob increase at some point in the future. Unfotunately the aircraft definition which was written in the far past did not forsee the future. It included all that flys thru the air. At the time there was only larger manned aircraft. Now the faa is using that definition to include all that flys thru the air. Even RC paper airplanes.

Model aircraft were in existence prior to manned aircraft.

On the flip side. Shooting at an aircraft whether manned or unmanned is also a fed offence. Can bring up to 250k and 20 yrs as punishment. Dis: i am not a lawyer.

Very true, but it didn't stop a judge in Kentucky from dismissing charges that were on the "drone slayer". He fired into the air with a firearm and took the aircraft from the sky at 200', his charges were dropped.

"Unrelated garbage" is just another way of saying "I disagree, so your point of view is not welcomed".
Absolutely untrue.

The comment was in regard to posting about Obamacare and other stuff in a thread about drone registration. Not related to the subject at all. Me making my comment was absolutely unrelated to whether or not I agree with the posted comment. Only that it was off-topic.

Please do not put words in my mouth.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Laws, rules come into existence when the "few" exceed the limits of good judgement, suggesting, sometimes barely discernable, a threat to the welfare of the "many". The "many" then suffer a repression of the exercise of common sense while those whose behavior resulted in the rule, more than likely continue their previous excess and the rule only limits the "law abiding" exercise of free will.
Sadly it's the history of our species whether by luck or crook, errors in judgement limit freedom.
Had those responsible for the excesses publicized in the media been identified, singled out and regulated individually, {no more UAA's 4 U Jack!!} we'd not be facing this dilemma.
But here we are.

Absolutely untrue.

The comment was in regard to posting about Obamacare and other stuff in a thread about drone registration. Not related to the subject at all. Me making my comment was absolutely unrelated to whether or not I agree with the posted comment. Only that it was off-topic.

Please do not put words in my mouth.

Why do you alone feel that you get to determine for others what is relevant or important or what they should or should not use to express themselves?
Explain that.......

Besides, you did not clarify in the post. You are attempting to do so AFTER the fact.
Here is precisely what you said....

Could we please not have all this unrelated garbage in here? Please.

Laws, rules come into existence when the "few" exceed the limits of good judgement, suggesting, sometimes barely discernable, a threat to the welfare of the "many". The "many" then suffer a repression of the exercise of common sense while those whose behavior resulted in the rule, more than likely continue their previous excess and the rule only limits the "law abiding" exercise of free will.
Sadly it's the history of our species whether by luck or crook, errors in judgement limit freedom.
Had those responsible for the excesses publicized in the media been identified, singled out and regulated individually, {no more UAA's 4 U Jack!!} we'd not be facing this dilemma.
But here we are.

Yes sir. This.
Unfortunately we live in a society where indoctrination has succeeded in convincing people that "presumed guilt" before the offense has been committed is better imposed upon all, in advance, rather than proper justice applied to the deserving.

wow. That sounds noteworthy :)

Reactions: Brad Pierce

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4