brand new Phantom...problems, and a question

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I'm a brand new Phantom owner. I bought my Phantom two days ago, and since I had all day yesterday to get it set up and ready for it's maiden flight, I thought I'd be fine, time-wise. Turns out that wasn't the case.

I downloaded the assistant, the drivers, etc. and followed the manual fastidiously. Or I thought I had, but I keep getting an error that the GPS is not set and to re-calibrate. I've done that several times, and each time I disconnect and reconnect, I get a "too hot, allow 5 min. to cool down and retry" message.

I can wait...and did. A couple of times for over an hour. I even lowered the temperature in the house, all to no avail. I still get the error message, the Phantom is sowing a solid green the numbers look nominal in the assistant but I'm not confident everything is as it should be. I saw a warning somewhere that said some Windows 7 users may have to manually download the newest drivers, so I did that too. No joy.

So...I have a couple of questions. First: any idea what, if anything, am I doing wrong? Am I safe to take it outside to see if I can obtain a GPS lock, and get it in the air?

Second question: I noticed that the throttle is spring loaded, with the neutral at mid-stick.

I've flown other fixed wing airplanes and helicopters, and none had a spring loaded throttle. Can someone explain to me;
-what's the reasoning behind a spring loaded throttle?

-where is "neutral" on the throttle? in the center position? with the stick in the lowest position? I''m almost afraid to turn it on outdoors for fear that it suddenly launches with my hands on/near the rotors. I had a VERY bad situation with my first quad, a Gaui 550 where I'd set the transmitter down to plug in the battery, and one of my dogs bumped it and knocked the trottle from the bottom position (OFF) to mid throttle, enough for the craft to be hovering.

The end result was a pair of leather gloves torn to ribbons, a pair of hands torn to ribbons (over 60 stitches all told, to 7 fingers) and zero flying ANYTHING for almost a month.

Thank you in advance for ANY assistance you can offer!

The MC too hot issue is a glitch in the firmware, it actually isn't. If you can get through an advanced calibration you're fine.

The spring loaded throttle is there because if the throttle is at the bottom the motors become disarmed. It will not take off at mid throttle, but it will just hover. The motors do not turn on until you hold both sticks to the bottom center and "arm" the motors.

This thing doesn't have the torque to really tear you up, and it's really tough to arm the motors when you don't mean to. Happy flying!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues