Brainstorming ideas about Amazon Air (drone delivery)

GoodnNuff said:
My car parks itself. My car alerts me if there is an object on either side of me, behind me, or too close in front of me. My car adapts its cruise control speed if it comes upon a car ahead of us travelling at a slower speed - my car will slow down and stay a safe distance behind, matching the speed. If I start to stray from my lane without (turn signals) or drift off the road, I get instant alarms. I find this amazing. And all this is in a Ford - not a Tesla!
Which model?

Fyod said:
Yea, but as soon as one of their delivery drones causes a fiasco, the hobby is dead for all of us.
Wow, you mean that if an airplane crashes, hobby flight will end? Better alert the AMA.

TimmyG94 said:
Fyod said:
I do not think delivery will be the service that pioneers a widespread use of drones. Same day delivery can be done in many other financially sound ways.
I keep hearing people in here claiming to know much more economical ways to mass deliver items using same day service compared to drones. Please explain these other methods?
Yeah, a bike courier in downtown Manhattan makes sense and is cheap compared to a big FedEx truck stuck in gridlock.
I expect that in a few years the bike courier will be replaced with rooftop to rooftop delivery between Manhattan buildings.

SteveMann said:
TimmyG94 said:
Fyod said:
I do not think delivery will be the service that pioneers a widespread use of drones. Same day delivery can be done in many other financially sound ways.
I keep hearing people in here claiming to know much more economical ways to mass deliver items using same day service compared to drones. Please explain these other methods?
Yeah, a bike courier in downtown Manhattan makes sense and is cheap compared to a big FedEx truck stuck in gridlock.
I expect that in a few years the bike courier will be replaced with rooftop to rooftop delivery between Manhattan buildings.

Before that happens, UAVs are going to have to be more tolerant to radio transmitters. It is very common in the UK for cell networks to use tall building roof tops for these. I would have thought that layer of sky in a city was a nogo area for UAVs.

Hughie said:
Before that happens, UAVs are going to have to be more tolerant to radio transmitters. It is very common in the UK for cell networks to use tall building roof tops for these. I would have thought that layer of sky in a city was a nogo area for UAVs.
Why? An autonomous flight doesn't need any radio function.

SteveMann said:
Hughie said:
Why? An autonomous flight doesn't need any radio function.

I think it might ;)
Some system *will* have central control (they are not really autonomous then are they). Whatever is controlling these will certainly need to monitor them. They may even need to be able to divert them, or force them to return home. Just because a truly "autonomous" drone could operate without radio links, does not mean that a drone for a specific business function would be truly autonomous. And in any case they would still need to be able to tolerate electromagnetic interference regardless of whether they have radio function or not.

SteveMann said:
GoodnNuff said:
My car parks itself. My car alerts me if there is an object on either side of me, behind me, or too close in front of me. My car adapts its cruise control speed if it comes upon a car ahead of us travelling at a slower speed - my car will slow down and stay a safe distance behind, matching the speed. If I start to stray from my lane without (turn signals) or drift off the road, I get instant alarms. I find this amazing. And all this is in a Ford - not a Tesla!
Which model?

2014 Ford Flex.

SteveMann said:
Fyod said:
Yea, but as soon as one of their delivery drones causes a fiasco, the hobby is dead for all of us.
Wow, you mean that if an airplane crashes, hobby flight will end? Better alert the AMA.

It seems like you have no idea of the negative news around UAVs, almost zero public knowledge, and unclear FAA guidelines.
When something bad happens, the ignorant public will call for government action and that'll mean either stupid regulation or strict licensing, or both.

It seems like you have no idea of the negative news around UAVs, almost zero public knowledge, and unclear FAA guidelines.
When something bad happens, the ignorant public will call for government action and that'll mean either stupid regulation or strict licensing, or both.

If and when amazon does get this drone thing going some day if they ever can. and when things go wrong and the public starts bitching the goverment will do what they always do which will be crack down on thos that are not the ones causing the problems and penilize every one except for the real problem and amazon has enough $ to make sure the right people are taken care of and they can buy and sell who every they need to to make sure that they get to keep doing what ever they want and that who every is in there pocket can vote to keep there competition out of business.

Politicians and bureaucrats do not work for or give a hoot what the public thinks about any thing other then if its some thing that can get them votes. Nore do they work for the people or even kid them selves that they do. They only work for the highest paying biders. They are sort of like prostitutes Except even a run of the mill prostitute might have some scruples or things they would not do for money.

J.James said:
If and when amazon does get this drone thing going some day if they ever can and when things go wrong and the public starts bitching the goverment will do what they always do which will be crack down on thos that are not the ones causing the problems and penilize every one except for the real problem and amazon has enough $ to make sure the right people are taken care of and they can buy and sell who every they need to to make sure that they get to keep doing what ever they want and that who every is in there pocket can vote to keep there competition out of business.
WOW...that was a REALLY long sentence. Whew...it finally DID end with a period. Thought it might never get there. :oops: :?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl