Blocking the GO app

Reaction score
Ever wonder what your GO app really connects to on the Internet when you run it? One user used Wireshark to find out using the GO iOS app (2.5.1). With the coming GEO fencing implementation, this is worth a read.

He installed a device firewall to block all unnecessary communication between the GO app and the outside world and has flown 10 flights so far with no issues and full access to the maps. (Note you need to Jailbreak your device to install a firewall app (i.e. from Cydia like Firewall IP) that filters all app traffic to do this.)

These are all the connections the app tries to make (outside of those you need for maps).

•mydjiflight.dji.com

•newrelic.com - app analytics

•djistatic.com

•flurry.com - Mobile analytics company

•conf.international.baidu.com

•baidu.com

•qbox.me (via qbox.wscdns.com)

•upgrade.dj2006.net

•pingma.qq.com

•u.dji.com

•acbe.aasky.net -type this one in a browser for a nice scare.

•tpns.qq.com

•dds.dji.com

•pilotv2.djivideos.com

•active.dji.com

•m.dji.com

•djicdn.com

www.skypixel.com

•djiexplore.com

•flysafe-api.dji.com - LOL registered to Perfect Privacy LLC

You can block these by using the pure domains but listed them for completeness.

Interesting, didn't know.. Drone flights are seeing more than my neighbors backyards I see..

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

If I'm flying using my iPad Air which has no cellular and isn't tethered, then it's not connecting to ANY of those.

Still interesting to see all those, would love to know what they are needed for. Did you bring it up on the DJI forum yet or with customer service to see if you get a reply?

If I'm flying using my iPad Air which has no cellular and isn't tethered, then it's not connecting to ANY of those.

Still interesting to see all those, would love to know what they are needed for. Did you bring it up on the DJI forum yet or with customer service to see if you get a reply?

If you ever start the GO app when online at home you are susceptible to a forced update anyway even if flying offline

If you ever start the GO app when online at home you are susceptible to a forced update anyway even if flying offline
Up until now DJI has never forced updates for apps or firmware for the P3. They merely recommend or suggest it.

Note for iOS users -

There seem to be VPN-based apps in the App Store that block and log external traffic, acting like a local firewall but most use an external service and cost $$. The free ones appear to log your usage and sell it to 3rd parties :)

Note for iOS users -

There seem to be VPN-based apps in the App Store that block and log external traffic, acting like a local firewall but most use an external service and cost $$. The free ones appear to log your usage and sell it to 3rd parties :)
Can't find them. Can you give us some names?

I install something called Noroot firewall on Android. Uses a vpn. But it seems to work ok. It is free and so far does not nag me.
I enabled everything on my phone to go out. Then went back and disable the apps I did not want going out. Now if I install a new app,
it will ask permission the first time that app goes out.

Reactions: damoncooper
I install something called Noroot firewall on Android. Uses a vpn. But it seems to work ok. It is free and so far does not nag me.
I enabled everything on my phone to go out. Then went back and disable the apps I did not want going out. Now if I install a new app,
it will ask permission the first time that app goes out.

It looks like I am talking to myself. Nothing new there.
But I discovered since posting that the NoRoot firewall does not have a VPN. It fakes a VPN forcing the other apps to go thru NoRoot. They claim they do not give out information. I am not affiliated with NoRoot. Just passing along info on something that works without hassling me.

I don't see anything here that bothers me.

When it first comes up, it's obvious that it's logging into several DJI locations, because you see a promo for Sky Pixel and new DJI products like the Osmo.

These days, when you pass through a toll booth or use your ATM, you're photographed, too. I guess I just don't care who knows I'm flying in the park.

Almost everything on your phone is web-based at some point. That's how all your apps know when to update, and where they get their new software from. And your phone's GPS is always able to report back to your carrier, if they want it to.

Regardless, thanks for the heads up! It's something to be aware of.

Could be another reason why people are having problems with the app crashing if the device is busy talking online and not paying attention to the flight. I have never had any problem flying with my iPad connected to WiFi but lately I've been prudent and put it into airplane mode, in fact, I keep it in airplane mode almost all of the time, flying or not.

Reactions: SouthernPhantom
I
Could be another reason why people are having problems with the app crashing if the device is busy talking online and not paying attention to the flight. I have never had any problem flying with my iPad connected to WiFi but lately I've been prudent and put it into airplane mode, in fact, I keep it in airplane mode almost all of the time, flying or not.
That's a valid point. But I suspect that it's the phones themselves, more than the GO App, that are busy chattering constantly, not to mention that all their crazy apps are operating in the background.

I too, found, that if I let the GO App locate itself on Google Maps (just after the home point is set), it worked better when I then switched into airplane mode.

However, the best performance I've gotten is when I bought a new tablet for the RC, with few other apps. I use the tablet's WiFi to talk to the phone's hot spot for the Google Maps location. I even leave the WiFi on. No lags at all.

Effectively, I use the tablet as a dedicated screen for the Phantom.

To go back but not press the point, every electronic device we have is talking to anyone it chooses whenever it wants. And don't even get me started on Facebook, where some of my "friends" post their locations every time they get a haircut or go shopping.

It's all about the pretty videos and pictures! Yes? :)

Last edited:
If you're on an Ipad running IOS 8.4 in my case and Jailbroken you can download and install Firewall IP. Does great. You can set to permanently block connections associated with an app or allow connections per session or otherwise.
IMG_0105.PNG

IMG_0106.PNG

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic