Blinking abnormalties (or no)?: long button pressing for P2V battery lifespan

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1434993301.828879.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1434993318.567118.jpg

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Hi folks,

Recently I learnt pressing and hold battery button for more than 6 seconds until red led blinks, then the green led's will show the battery life span left. But my two batteries behave differently: one battery the red blinks 10 times, the other only 4 times.

Details: (I bought both batteries from DJI store last November).

Battery 1: - 10 red led blinks
- 17 digits serial number begin with DJxxxxxx
- the 'f' font is rounded,
- red triangle mark is bright red

Battery 2: - 4 red led blinks
- 13 digits serial number NOT begin with DJx
- the 'f' font is squared,
- red triangle mark is dimmed red

Last edited:
The 'lifespan %' and LED report is based on discharge cycles.

So they really don't tell you anything specific.
In fact they are quite useless as most find the batts. are mostly done by 50-70 cycles.

Thanks N017RW. 70 discharge is pretty low :( but thanks for giving me a reference point).

And wondering why my two batteries behave differently, and if we can reach any explanation to that. :)

Last edited:
Thanks N017RW. I still want to poll the forum to see the relationship of lifespan % and flight time though. (70 discharge is pretty low :( but thanks for giving me a reference point). A famous post showed with 89% lifespan 33 discharge, and battery looks normal, fully charged, last in air less than a min. Want to see how often this actually happens, or it was just an odd lemon.

And wondering why my two batteries behave differently, and if we can reach any explanation to that. :)

ALL DJI BATTERIES ARE LIKE THAT!!!
My 4/5 DJI OEM batteries averaged 30-40 flights. I followed to DJI instructions to the tee, discharge to 8% at the 20th cycle. They all went into auto landing failure.

I spoke to some older gen heli pilots and they said never drop to 8%. Land at 30% and a discharge is NOT required. The 8% @ 20cycle rule is to "align" percentage bar on the app. I never got the chance to test this as I sold the warranty replaced batteries (pathetic 3 month warranty). All my P2 batteries are now aftermarket Venom 5500 mah.

All my P2 batteries are now aftermarket Venom 5500 mah.
How is the aftermarket batts doing for you? Same cycle but cheaper? Or they last longer cycles? Will assistant software and latest 3.14 firmware recognize/work well with them? All or many intelligent LiPo batts vendors have encryption on the batts circuits and cracking the code once might not guarantee future compatibility. That is my concern on aftermarket batts. Your thoughts? Tks.

Reactions: dirkclod
Since this thread doesn't seem to be about the FC40, P1, or P3, perhaps it should be moved to P2.

Since it was posted in the General Forum, it would have been nice it said P2 in the title.

Thanks.
I thought battery is an universal issue? Is it not? Even helicopter would have similar issue. OR, is it just P2 gets this?

I thought battery is an universal issue? Is it not? Even helicopter would have similar issue. OR, is it just P2 gets this?
You show a P2 battery moon..An FC40 or a P1 do not use it. There's a P2 section where this would have been more appropriate to have
put this in. As ian already showed ya the link on these battery's and there's most likely all or more than you want to know about them there .
We try and keep all we can on a specific battery in one spot to compare them.
Battery's are a universal issue but not all the same . Look in that thread and if you don't see what you are looking for than post in it and someone will answer you .:)

You show a P2 battery moon..An FC40 or a P1 do not use it. There's a P2 section where this would have been more appropriate to have
put this in. As ian already showed ya the link on these battery's and there's most likely all or more than you want to know about them there .
We try and keep all we can on a specific battery in one spot to compare them.
Battery's are a universal issue but not all the same . Look in that thread and if you don't see what you are looking for than post in it and someone will answer you .:)
Agreed. a problem was that I have P2V not P2 so I never looked at P2. And there is no shared forum for all P2x. and yet all three versions use same battery.

As you can see nobody post results here but me, and no one should now. But if someone has answer for the serial number differences, the logo, font and the blinkings feel free to answer/help me specifically. But no need to post results anymore as that P2 sticky serves the purpose better.

Agreed. a problem was that I have P2V not P2 so I never looked at P2. And there is no shared forum for all P2x. and yet all three versions use same battery.

As you can see nobody post results here but me, and no one should now. But if someone has answer for the serial number differences, the logo, font and the blinkings feel free to answer/help me specifically. But no need to post results anymore as that P2 sticky serves the purpose better.
blank stare.png
..No need ta get all crazy eye's on me moon :eek: Just trying ta steer ya in the right direction
to find what you are looking for .
If ya will read just in General D. about folks posting all over instead of where they should you would understand why it's good to keep it
all together so we can find the answers to our questions instead of having to look for an hour to find it .
I have a P2V also !! Fun ain't they :)

Got it. Agreed. Don't know how to move the thread but modified the title/post to reflect my true/unique questions in mind.

Here's a video I came across yesterday while for something else. I discharge all my batteries down to 8% before recharging and not after 20 cycles as DJI indicates should be done. The problem with Li-ion/Lipo is over charging which is a more common problem with non DJI chargers.

Here's a video I came across yesterday while for something else. I discharge all my batteries down to 8% before recharging and not after 20 cycles as DJI indicates should be done. The problem with Li-ion/Lipo is over charging which is a more common problem with non DJI chargers.
Hi Jason, thank you for such a nice video!!! The battery shown in this video is the P1 alike battery right? Are they called intelligent LiPo as well at their time? Or "intelligent" is referring to P2 generation and beyond? By intelligent DJI meant to say the battery housing has built-in features including over charging and over discharging prevention. Soooo, can we assume that the "intelligent" circuit in the batteries will shield us within the "safety zone"? Like the going below 30% to 15%, and even 8% thing are actually still above the "never discharge to less than 20%" safety zone mentioned in this video?? Or the % shown by P2 battery and app are the true %? If it is latter case, then we indeed should never go below 20% and I shall adjust my flight accordingly by landing/powering off above 20% all the time not pushing it a bit. AND, Jason, your process of always discharging the battery down to 8% is supposed to be very very bad process then. How are your batteries now? If they are still performing well, then probably the "intelligent" feature is indeed shielding us within safety zone?? The video shows the optimum discharging is 200-300 cycles yet most people get 50-70 only... I don't believe DJI would evilly use inferior battery to damp the product popularity. They made the quad thing affordable to general public amateurs in the first place! So WHAT is the problem then? I shall stop charging battery full when getting home after flight for sure, I would have them charged to 60% then store them, away, and charge to 100% just the night before next flight then. (usually one week or two weeks later). Will see what happens. I did discharge one of my battery until it couldn't power on anymore. How stupid was I! Again, will see how hurt it would be to that battery. Thanks again Jason for your post.

Let me clarify something about v2.6 battery update that came out last October and I upgraded my firmware to v3.6 I also upgraded all my 5 of my batteries. The 2 oldest were autolanding at 40-45% after the update they now autoland at 15-14 % and my first warning is set at 20% and second at 15% and I normally use a light to discharge down to 8% before recharging. Those 2 oldest batteries are 13 months old and I get a little over 10 minutes flight time with them.

As far as I can see discharging down 8% and recharging has not shorten the life on my baateries which I've been doing now for months. If you read through some of the thread whether in these forums or DJI's forum that DJI claims that after 10 day their batteries will start to trickle down until they reach 50%. Well since I was fortunate to update all my batteries v2.6 everyone of mine start to discharge after two days.
Now the oldest battery will 40 cycles while the other will have 33 cycles. Now the last time I checked those batteries to see what percentage of life they both had left 89% for the oldest and 90% for the other by holding down the power button until it flashes. The P2 software confirms that the battery test is very close to being correct.

I didn't recall upgrading battery firmware. I will check again... You just use the assistant app to upgrade, right? I kept all firmware to the latest and mine doesn't auto discharge after 10 days... I thought it was only P3 battery feature? And is anywhere mentions the 2 day discharge behaviour? Or it is bcs the age of the battery, discharging is not a feature but a fact? (Not to challenge you but just to explore possibilities :))

13 months 40 cycles, assuming you don't fly during winter. It is about one flight per week. And after a year 10 min flight time. I think that is acceptable... How do you use a light to discharge while exactly knowing it is 8%? And before And after doing the 8% thing, do you see any battery flight time difference?

Lastly, how many times they flash when showing lifespan? 10 or 4?

Thanks again. Appreciate your reply.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31