Bird of Prey vs P2V

Reaction score
I was flying at about 100 feet just hovering while messing with the DJI app. Out of nowhere a huge hawk comes screeching in toward the P2V and pulls up at what looked like about 10 feet from the P2V. At this point I'm a bit freaked out thinking I'm either going to kill this bird in my props or the hawk is going to take down my $1,200 craft. Instinctively I pull down on the throttle and the P2V starts falling from the sky. I guess the hawk thought it was play time because it circled twice more and went into another dive bomb maneuver. I thought the P2V was toast this time but once again the hawk pulled up at the last second and went back into a circling pattern. Long story short I got the P2V back on the ground without incident. I must have been in hostile airspace without clearance from the local avian authorities. Crazy experience!

gfredrone said:
I was flying at about 100 feet just hovering while messing with the DJI app. Out of nowhere a huge hawk comes screeching in toward the P2V and pulls up at what looked like about 10 feet from the P2V. At this point I'm a bit freaked out thinking I'm either going to kill this bird in my props or the hawk is going to take down my $1,200 craft. Instinctively I pull down on the throttle and the P2V starts falling from the sky. I guess the hawk thought it was play time because it circled twice more and went into another dive bomb maneuver. I thought the P2V was toast this time but once again the hawk pulled up at the last second and went back into a circling pattern. Long story short I got the P2V back on the ground without incident. I must have been in hostile airspace without clearance from the local avian authorities. Crazy experience!

Great story :eek: :D

Had a similar story with a eagle by the river
He made 3 high speed passes and managed to avoid my camera all but one shot of his wing as he went bye
I know the fealing I thought my new toy was going to be lunch :shock: :shock:

Pull_Up said:
Here's a couple of encounters (not deliberate!) I filmed with Red Kites (links go to the appropriate time stamp):

http://youtu.be/AXux-s_ARk8?t=2m40s (from here to the end)

http://youtu.be/T-NJj19iy3M?t=3m30s (to about 3:40 - even closer)

They were more curious than anything, and didn't seem to want to attack or be frightened by the aircraft.

Nice shots - I bet that got the heart beating faster :) I saw in the second clip that you tried to pan round to follow it.

Check out these action shots, flying my phantom around birds always makes me feel uneasy although i've not seen one fly into it... yet.

Attachments

• bird shot1.jpg
    bird shot1.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 589
  • bird shot2.jpg
    bird shot2.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 587
  • bird shot3.jpg
    bird shot3.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 586
Pull_Up said:
Here's a couple of encounters (not deliberate!) I filmed with Red Kites (links go to the appropriate time stamp):

http://youtu.be/AXux-s_ARk8?t=2m40s (from here to the end)

Noticed he came at you put of the sun. Wonder if they learned that watching old WWII air combat movies?

Not as exciting as hawks or kites, but I did notice buzzards stared flying overhead when i was at the park today with my Phantom. Probably realized I was a newbie and was waiting for the crash

Anyone know any experts on birds? What's the proper protocol for an RC encountering foul aloft? I don't want to be mistaken for encouraging baby Phantom's or anything, nor do I want to be misinterpreted for violating nest space or starting a war with the Alpha pack if ya know what I mean.

I was flying about 300ft up today when my Vision seemed to draw the interest of a pack of three birds. They just flew circles going away, flying back, following the lead bird but never got too close. I just picked an exit and slowly moved off and so did they. I think other posters may be right, mostly they're just curious as long as a family nest isn't at risk.

iDrone :)

iDrone said:
Anyone know any experts on birds? What's the proper protocol for an RC encountering foul aloft? I don't want to be mistaken for encouraging baby Phantom's or anything, nor do I want to be misinterpreted for violating nest space or starting a war with the Alpha pack if ya know what I mean.

I was flying about 300ft up today when my Vision seemed to draw the interest of a pack of three birds. They just flew circles going away, flying back, following the lead bird but never got too close. I just picked an exit and slowly moved off and so did they. I think other posters may be right, mostly they're just curious as long as a family nest isn't at risk.

iDrone :)

Well I'm going to try and avoid more Kites as the breeding season kicks in as the males are territorial I think, and might want to attack first and ask questions later... Hopefully the noise puts them off from getting too close but I don't want to rely on that if their hormones are going full tilt.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl