Beware when charging..........

Reaction score
After this morning's flying, came home and charged up the batteries - as you do!
When the first was charged I turned off the charger, disconnected the battery and plugged in the second. Turned on the charger again, battery lights blinking as they should and left it to it.
Luckily I had to go back into the room again and could smell burning, well certainly overheating.
Turned off the charger and checked and found that the mains socket that plugs into the charger had worked its way out a bit, probably when I changed batteries. Initially it was just making enough contact to start the charge but must have started sparking and heating the contacts.

Always check all plugs/sockets are fully engaged EVERY TIME!
IMG_5842.jpg

Will do. Thanks fore the heads up. Glad you caught it.

Thanks for the caution note.

Wow lucky one,,but great saved and let charger cool before next batt,,my p3 charger gets warm and have to wait before next goes on charge

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
I assume going back into the room was because you were charging LiPo's and as recc'd - should not be left unattended ?

Hey @cheddarman .... I've got a (I guess we figured it out) Standard Charger will charge Battery Only & not Remote.
You can have it... for the shipping to you.. But your in UK ?

Hey there Phantom, most kind but yes, in the UK!
My charger is OK, cleaned it up, and tested it with the plug fully inserted, and all is well. Kept a finger on the plug while charging the second battery to check its temperature and no sign of overheating!

I really think that i have read that you should "Never leave your charging batteries Unattended".....i stay close to mine and occasionally check the chargers to be sure that they are not extremely HOT...and like ianzone says.....let the charger cool a bit between charges !

Your so right Solentlife.

I normally charge all batteries, but particularly LiPo's, other than my laptop, in the garage on the concrete floor away from everything and only charge the laptop when 'm there with it!

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
I really wonder How Many people use the Safe bags when they re charge their batterys....i don't !....you never ever read about a battery blowing UP here do we ?

Hello Cheddarman.

After this morning's flying,......
Luckily I had to go back into the room again and could smell burning, well certainly overheating.
Turned off the charger and checked and found that the mains socket that plugs into the charger had worked its way out a bit, probably when I changed batteries. Initially it was just making enough contact to start the charge but must have started sparking and heating the contacts.

Always check all plugs/sockets are fully engaged EVERY TIME!
, View attachment 109845
Can we assume the smoke detector batteries get the same good maintenance? 8)

Be safe!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic