Better Yaw control mod (how to video)

jarrah31 said:
I can see myself wanting to increase the yaw speed when closer to an object, so having the variable option will be useful.

However replacing the pot with a 3-pole switch (is that the right term?) may be a better alternative, with the three options being 10k, 20k, and 30k resistors...

you could use a rotary switch and have more presets.

srandall25 said:
SpikeFinch said:
I might have found a way to add a fixed "slow" pan option. So you can just dial a pot to one position and it would do a constant slow pan in that direction.
i.e. set the pot to your desired position... leave it set... then use the switch to engage the pan feature... turn switch off to stop pan feature... no need for manual yaw... that would be sweet!! The reason i think this would be brilliant is it would provide for 'consistent' panning shots... All your pans would always be at the exact speed... and no need to worry about trying to keep steady pressure on the yaw stick while flying... this would be an awesome feature if you could implement this!

This would be really cool, but not sure how you would get it to work. Would need a 3 way switch, with middle off, up yaw left, down yaw right.

-Scott

Would 25K be too slow? My local store only has 10 or 25.
Although they both have a built in on/off switch, which I like.

sbarton said:
srandall25 said:
SpikeFinch said:
I might have found a way to add a fixed "slow" pan option. So you can just dial a pot to one position and it would do a constant slow pan in that direction.
i.e. set the pot to your desired position... leave it set... then use the switch to engage the pan feature... turn switch off to stop pan feature... no need for manual yaw... that would be sweet!! The reason i think this would be brilliant is it would provide for 'consistent' panning shots... All your pans would always be at the exact speed... and no need to worry about trying to keep steady pressure on the yaw stick while flying... this would be an awesome feature if you could implement this!

This would be really cool, but not sure how you would get it to work. Would need a 3 way switch, with middle off, up yaw left, down yaw right.

-Scott

i wouldn't really want a constant speed set, just a way to give me a slower range of yaw for full stick movement, i'd still want to be using the stick to do the yawing.

Fyod said:
Would 25K be too slow? My local store only has 10 or 25.
Although they both have a built in on/off switch, which I like.

Isn't the point of the pot so that you can change the amount it reduces it. Wouldn't a 10k pot at full, be the same as a 20k pot at 1/2? 25k just means you have less fine tuning, no?

-Scott

If you just put in a 20K pot and do not short the two terminals like on the 10k you really do not need the switch. Connecting the pins across the bottom of the 10K pot make the effectiveness of the pot go from 10k-20k instead of 0k-10k The 20k pot will go from 0k to 20k, and at 0 it would be identical to using the switch to turn it off. The only thing you gain with the switch is it is much easier to activate than turning the knob while in flight. Theoretically the higher the pot (hence the resistance) the slower you will yaw.

For the people using the 10k pot if you find yourself keeping the pot at full all the time and just using the switch you can do the same thing with just two 20k resistors and dpdt switch to turn on and off.

What setting are most people using on the pot that have the setup installed?

I have my 20K pot set just slightly off the bottom (Around 5-10%) for the most part, but having the option is sweet. Ya never know when you need to shoot something fast, like a bike race.

I wanted just a very slow set yaw speed. I used the drawing just replacing the pot with 33k resisitors on each leg (Yellow and black wire) But I am getting slow yaw clockwise and nothing other direction. The off on switch checks out ok, so I have to go back figure out what I got figured wrong.

DOES A DUAL GANG POT WHEN TURNED IN ONE DIRECTION INCREASE RESISTANCE VALUES ON ONE LEG AND DECREASE ON THE OTHER? THAT MAY BE WHY MY RESISTOR MOD DOES NOT WORK.

ussvertigo said:
DOES A DUAL GANG POT WHEN TURNED IN ONE DIRECTION INCREASE RESISTANCE VALUES ON ONE LEG AND DECREASE ON THE OTHER? THAT MAY BE WHY MY RESISTOR MOD DOES NOT WORK.

No, it's the same on both legs.

33K is kind of high. That might be your problem.

What does it look like in the software? What are your numbers?

Willing to bet the software is seeing your movement, but it's not enough.

ussvertigo said:

Your question is kind of ambiguous.

Dual gang, leg, etc.

Dual gang means two pots operating at the same time.

What do you mean by 'leg'?

When looking at pot there are three legs (or terminals)?

The resistance will be fixed across the outer two and should be equal to the value you bought, such as 33K.

When measuring between the center terminal and one side terminal, the resistance varies up or down depending on rotation direction and will be the opposite relationship for the center terminal to the OTHER outer terminal.

Think there is room on the front of the controller for this kinda of POT

13796.Jpg

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/dpt-10k/10k-precision-pot-w/digital-display/1.html

I was thinking of going the other way and turning it into a trim with a 3 pos. switch going between L and R yaw and off. And another for the aileron control. Talk about repeatable perfect cirlces. Once you learned the ratios and settings, you could dial them both in from a hover and create perfect circles.

Greetings Modders,
I have completed RemE's/SpikeFinch's YAW modification on the DJ6 controller for my Phantom 2 with Zenmuse HD-3D, GoPro 3+
using a 20K pot from Mouser (652-PTD902-1015PB203 http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Bou ... G8RgUe0Q==)
and the DPDT toggle from Jameco (1MD1T6B11M1QE http://www.jameco.com/1/1/27412-1md1t6b ... -dpdt.html).

Thanks to RemE, SpikeFinch, Sidebox and Jarrah31, et. al.

After calibration with switch off, The circuit works.

HOWEVER:

the YAW speed and R-values are significantly different from left to right.

According to the PhantomRC app the R-value on the Channel Monitor is -31 with YAW switch on and maximum pot (maximum counterclockwise turn)
pushing the left YAW stick fully to the left produces an R-value of approximately -201
pushing the left YAW stick fully to the right produces an R-value of approximately 86
I am not achieving the -150, 150 values SpikeFinch previously discussed. That being said, I like the smooth speed/R-value of 86.

YAWing left is approximately 2.5x faster than right

All connections appear to be true and solid.
I will look them over again.

Any thoughts? New pot? put a resistor on the left controller? Go Futaba?

appreciative of the community,
Eric

Attachments

• YAW mod1.jpg
    YAW mod1.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 434
  • YAW mod2.jpg
    YAW mod2.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 394
  • YAW mod3.jpg
    YAW mod3.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 444
  • YAW mod4.jpg
    YAW mod4.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 458
  • YAW mod5.jpg
    YAW mod5.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 466
Exactly.
I did this and other calibrations prior to my initial post.

For reference I calibrated with 3 different settings:

-off (toggle off)
-on at maximum (toggle on, full counterclockwise pot)
-on at minimum (toggle on, full clockwise pot)

continues with asymmetrical R-values roughly at -201/86 for the 'on at maximum' setting
'off' and 'on at minimum' settings: -1000/1000

No dice.
Thanks for response, SpikeFinch

With the switch off, what is the "T" value when you first hit the "Calibration" button. Yes the "T" value. it's a bug in the software.

Edit.... I just noticed your software looks different than mine... I am using RC Version 1.1

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl