Better Quality Video...

Reaction score
Morning Folks, just was curious if it was possible to get better quality video out of my current setup. I have the Phantom 2, H3-3D gimbal, Immersion RC 600mw 5.8 GHz A/V Transmitter, and the FlySight 32 Ch Black Pearl 5.8Ghz 7" Diversity Monitor. The video appears to be in about 480p on the monitor. Is there anyway to bump the quality of the video up to 720p or even 1080p by upgrading transmitter or other parts???

Best bet is to go with Lightbridge... That will give you the biggest jump in quality. It's not cheap.

Not sure which GoPro you are running, whether it's a 3, 3+, 4, white, silver, black edition, etc., but those will give you minor bumps in quality by jumping up in levels.

Hjones62 said:
Morning Folks, just was curious if it was possible to get better quality video out of my current setup. I have the Phantom 2, H3-3D gimbal, Immersion RC 600mw 5.8 GHz A/V Transmitter, and the FlySight 32 Ch Black Pearl 5.8Ghz 7" Diversity Monitor. The video appears to be in about 480p on the monitor. Is there anyway to bump the quality of the video up to 720p or even 1080p by upgrading transmitter or other parts???

The answer to your question is no.

indeed like Jason said the answer to your question is no. The standard FPV kits most people put on are considered "SD" standard def. Here's the deal: your BP screen is max 1024x768 resolution, and your gopro at 1080p or higher is 1920x1080 or higher... that's why the image looks squished... but mostly we're just using the FPV for framing the camera shot and work with the HD footage direct off the gopro later.

Basically the only way to get HD FPV is DJI's Lightbridge system which clocks in at $2000

Hjones62 said:

Hi,
The answer to your question is NO , because your 2.4 ghz setup.
For DJI biords could use DJI LightBridge HD Video Transmiter.
http://www.dji.com/product/dji-lightbridge

I'll give you the more compassionate answer: I'm sorry, but the answer is no. :)

jumanoc said:
Hjones62 said:

Hi,
The answer to your question is NO , because your 2.4 ghz setup.
For DJI biords could use DJI LightBridge HD Video Transmiter.
http://www.dji.com/product/dji-lightbridge

The answer is still no. But it has nothing to do with 2.4Ghz as your TX/RX are 5.8Ghz. So much misleading info today. :roll:

Not to derail the thread, but I have been researching FPV for my next Phantom, and I was under the impression that the 32 Channel Black Pearl was not compatible with the ImmersionRC 600mw transmitter? I thought there was interference or something that it wouldn't work, or not work well.

Has that been fixed?

LostAngel said:
Not to derail the thread, but I have been researching FPV for my next Phantom, and I was under the impression that the 32 Channel Black Pearl was not compatible with the ImmersionRC 600mw transmitter? I thought there was interference or something that it wouldn't work, or not work well.

Has that been fixed?

I dont believe they are compatible. 7 Channel BP is fine.

LostAngel said:

Has that been fixed?

I've heard of such, so I would go with the seven channel model.

That's why I brought it up in this thread. The 32 channel black pearl is what the op says he is using with the 600mw immersion rc transmitter. Might that cause video problems.

LostAngel said:

Has that been fixed?

There's no more interference with the BP 32 channel then there would be with any of these cheap monitor. The BP 32 channel will handle the ImmersionRC 600mw TX on channel F.

jason said:
LostAngel said:

Has that been fixed?

There's no more interference with the BP 32 channel then there would be with any of these cheap monitor. The BP 32 channel will handle the ImmersionRC 600mw TX on channel F.

There does seem to be plenty of anecdotal evidence that the range and quality is significantly different between IRC 600 + BP7 v IRC 600 + BP32. Additionally some suppliers (in the UK) recommend the 7" over the 32" with this vTX. I can't say for sure because I have not tried both - but there must be some basis to the suggestion.

LostAngel said:
That's why I brought it up in this thread. The 32 channel black pearl is what the op says he is using with the 600mw immersion rc transmitter. Might that cause video problems.

It not so much the so call interference between the 7" BP monitor and immersion TX but what the OP was asking for. He wanted a full screen video which wasn't going to happen with any of the monitors. There are only two choices 4:3 or 16:9 but both are letterboxed nor would make any difference if the camera output were changed from 720p, 1080p or 4K the outcome would be the same. Look I have close to a half dozen 7"monitors and none of them have built in RX or diversity RX and when connected to the system the results are the same a letterboxed video.

I think after spending 22 years as a television repair technician working on old technology to the newest I should have some knowledge of how these things work. But being out that field for 15 years I may have forgotten more then some of you have learnt. :eek:

Thanks again for all the help Guys. I've been running this setup with the 32Ch Black Pearl and the ImmersionRc 600mw transmitter flawlessly with ZERO issues and or interference...

jason said:
LostAngel said:

It not so much the so call interference between the 7" BP monitor and immersion TX but what the OP was asking for. He wanted a full screen video which wasn't going to happen with any of the monitors. There are only two choices 4:3 or 16:9 but both are letterboxed nor would make any difference if the camera output were changed from 720p, 1080p or 4K the outcome would be the same. Look I have close to a half dozen 7"monitors and none of them have built in RX or diversity RX and when connected to the system the results are the same a letterboxed video.
I experimented quite a bit with a Hero 3 White and actually, 960p UW 1280x960 with the BP on 4:3 does give a nice full screen with minimal clipping. However, having achieved that I ended up setting it back to a higher resolution (and letterbox!) because I did not want to compromise the quality of the recorded video for the sake of FPV.

Hughie said:
did not want to compromise the quality of the recorded video for the sake of FPV.

exactly.

Hughie said:
I experimented quite a bit with a Hero 3 White and actually, 960p UW 1280x960 with the BP on 4:3 does give a nice full screen with minimal clipping. However, having achieved that I ended up setting it back to a higher resolution (and letterbox!) because I did not want to compromise the quality of the recorded video for the sake of FPV.

How would you compromise the recorded video? The DVR records in PAL and is 4:3 format. Now if you try to do a full screen in 16:9 format the iOSD telemetry would be off the screen.

jason said:
Hughie said:

How would you compromise the recorded video? The DVR records in PAL and is 4:3 format. Now if you try to do a full screen in 16:9 format the iOSD telemetry would be off the screen.

It would be compromised because the GoPro would be recording 960p instead of 1080p/1440p/2.7k/4k etc.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl