Best video transmitter and antennae for range

Reaction score
What is the best transmitter and antennae for range?

Currently I am using the Boscam TS832 and Flysight black pearl with clover leafs for both transmit and receive. I seem to only get a couple hundred meters before losing most video in a fairly open (over water) environment.

I have read immerson is a true 600 mw output vs Boscam as 200mw even when its advertising at 600mw.

Dave

Forget vTx power until after you have got better range by changing antenna especially at the Rx end. Are you using identical antennae on your two Black Pearl channels ? You should have an omni directional one for close, wide range reception and a directional one (such as helix or possibly patch) for longer range narrow reception. The Diversity receiver will choose the best signal depending on the aircraft's relative position to the black pearl.

Last edited:
I 2nd that advise. A different receiving antenna made a ton of improvement with my setup.

The other thing to consider is which frequency band to use. If you are using a P2, 2.4 Ghz is the control band, can't use it for video downlink. I use 5.8 Ghz, disadvantage-signal is blocked by trees, advantage-small size (antenna and tx/rx) and high gain antennas. I plan on shifting to around 1 Ghz eventually.

im using avl58 with a cheap clover leaf antenna and getting about 1km in clear areas and 600 mts in the city.
its not only the transmitter, you need to invest in high gain antennas ;-)

Try different bands and/or channels. This will vary depending on manufacturer.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31