Best Video/Exp Settings

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I just got a 1st Gen Phantom 4. What are the video settings you guys use to get the most cinematic and pleasing image? I don't like that horrible oversharpened look. Also what Exp Sensitivity and gain settings do you use for the smoothest possible shots? Thanks!

Hey everyone! I just got a 1st Gen Phantom 4. What are the video settings you guys use to get the most cinematic and pleasing image? I don't like that horrible oversharpened look. Also what Exp Sensitivity and gain settings do you use for the smoothest possible shots? Thanks!
If you're looking for cinematic I would try 24fps...48 or 50 shutter speed and the rest on auto to start out. You may also need a lens filter if it gets too bright with those settings.

Reactions: Weston Ney
If you're looking for cinematic I would try 24fps...48 or 50 shutter speed and the rest on auto to start out. You may also need a lens filter if it gets too bright with those settings.
Thanks, I actually have been a filmmaker for over 10 years, so I know about those things, thanks though!

I should have said I was meaning what sharpness, saturation and contrast combinations do you run for best looking video. And I do use an ND filter. (Eventually I'm going to get the polar pro ND/PL filters, right now I'm using a cheaper set, so maybe that makes the quality worse.)

Also does anybody know if there is a filter that I can put on the lens that softens the image to make it have a more vintage film look, to take that hard digital edge off of the video and bring down the sharpness and give it a sort of a film stock look?

Also does anybody know if there is a filter that I can put on the lens that softens the image to make it have a more vintage film look, to take that hard digital edge off of the video and bring down the sharpness and give it a sort of a film stock look?
In my 35mm film days ('bout 100 years ago LOL) I smeared a thin even film of Vaseline on a spare sky 1B filter to soften

Reactions: cneedelman
Thanks, I actually have been a filmmaker for over 10 years, so I know about those things, thanks though!

I should have said I was meaning what sharpness, saturation and contrast combinations do you run for best looking video. And I do use an ND filter. (Eventually I'm going to get the polar pro ND/PL filters, right now I'm using a cheaper set, so maybe that makes the quality worse.)
Ahh ok, misunderstood ??

In my 35mm film days ('bout 100 years ago LOL) I smeared a thin even film of Vaseline on a spare sky 1B filter to soften
Wow I've heard of that, but I'm not wanting that extreme of an effect. I have heard that polar pro has filters like this for DSLR lenses, but I don't know if they have it for the phantom 4.

Wow I've heard of that, but I'm not wanting that extreme of an effect. I have heard that polar pro has filters like this for DSLR lenses, but I don't know if they have it for the phantom 4.
It's not extreme, and you don't even have to go all the way to the edges so that it gets under the ring... depends on how careful you are and how thick of a film you leave on there... I took one sheet of lens cleaning paper and gently wiped in circles to get most of it off.

Make no mistake, I'm not trying to talk you into doing it... just telling you how I did it

It's not extreme, and you don't even have to go all the way to the edges so that it gets under the ring... depends on how careful you are and how thick of a film you leave on there... I took one sheet of lens cleaning paper and gently wiped in circles to get most of it off.

Make no mistake, I'm not trying to talk you into doing it... just telling you how I did it
Ok, thanks.

If you are looking for highest quality, plan on post processing the videos and add exposure adjustment, color correction,, and sharpening or softening there. Don’t bother with ND filters, but do use a circular polarizer, as it’t effect can’t be duplicated in post.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues