Best settings for shooting in Low Light

Reaction score
I have shot at night and get a lot of noise with my footage. Wanted to know if anyone had any tips on how to get the best results shooting in low light situations.

The lowest ISO you can get away with for a TV of 3 sec or less.

Not every shot will be sharp so you will need to shoot multiple frames.

I'd assume footage means video not stills, if left on auto it will bump the ISO up high in an attempt to ake teh scene as bright as possible.
Using manual you will probably want to keep it rather darker because you know it's a night scene and expect much of the frame to be very dark - so you could keep a reasonable shutter speed and have ISO lower.
If the shutter gets too slow faster movements will get smudgy but going slowly or stationary you can have it very slow.
Depends what you mean by night scene really, at dusk you may still get reasonably footage and a floodlit scene will often look amazing. A darker suburban or rural area with just the odd bright light is going to be disappointing.

is there a way to control the apeture
There is no aperture to control.
Unless you know what you're doing with camera controls, you're best to just leave it in auto.
The best tip for night shooting is to make sure you have a reasonable amount of light in your frame rather than a black field with a few distant lights.
Get in close.

The best settings are chosen by you, after you do some more of your experimenting. Pretty hard to make suggestions without being there.
These cameras don't have much ajustabilty, unlike my Nikon D800.

Trial and error... Make notes or keep a mindful eye on your settings and evaluate the pictures as you go. Also try using HDR, or taking multiple images and combining them for a more indepth pic. ;-)

If you can adjust them in post, you can get pretty creative.

RedHotPoker

I took both these pictures just after sunset.

Camera set to auto.

About 5 minutes apart.

Attachments

• 1454469638841.jpg
    1454469638841.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 1,182
  • 1454469667153.jpg
    1454469667153.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 1,124

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics