Best settings for fireworks display

No problem at all. Video or stills? For video, open up the iris, set the shutter to 1/60 and use 100 ISO. If you need a bit more exposure go up to 200 ISO (but remember the bright parts are very bright). For stills you'll want a super fast shutter speed if you want crisp shots. Best of luck!

Reactions: whitelineNI
Actually for stills you'll want a slower shutter speed, around 2 seconds. You can close down your aperture a bunch for some clarity. On my dslr I typically go to f11 and the fireworks pics are awesome. In fact search YouTube for taking pics of fireworks. Dslr settings generally work with the drone too, but the shutter speed can be trickier because the drone does move around up there. Calm night, maybe 3 seconds but generally 2 seconds or maybe 1 second if it's blurry from movement. For video I've done very well in the past in auto. If circumstances don't permit fiddling, auto for fireworks video works and then in post you can just work contrast, brightness and saturation to taste and you can dial out most of the noise you may have. It depends on how lighted the ground is too - a well lighted town is one thing and a totally dark area is another.

One last tip, if you can find out the max shell size, use that as your distance formula. Example, 4" shell generally spreads 400' when it opens and you want to back off another 400' from that outer edge so 800' back from the firing zone. Using that formula generally gets a nice distance framing. You'd be surprised at how how far back you need to be from a professional show, considering the FOV of the p4p camera,

Good luck!

I'd be very wary of auto for video. It's liable to boost the shutter speed way too high for exposure and give a stutter motion effect. I've also seen examples of it choosing 800 ISO so the footage ends up super noisy. I'm also a bit suspicious of a 2 sec shutter speed with nighttime drone work (causing soft images) but I've never tried it so I can't speak to that from experience. If it's a really still night then that longer exposure could look really cool though.

Reactions: whitelineNI
I had a couple of local carnivals over the weekend so I grabbed some shots. I don't know what the settings were but I know it wasn't auto. I believe it was 400 iso, 60 shutter speed, but not sure of the aperture. 4k 30fps. Another good tip I'll give you is to enable the extra 30% upward tilt in the settings. You can get away with a lot more upward tilt at night and for fireworks particularly, it can really help frame a shot.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers