Best reasonable price tablets for p4p

Reaction score
Was looking at lenova tab4? not sure, want some opinion as whether tablet with sim or without?

Was looking at lenova tab4? not sure, want some opinion as whether tablet with sim or without?
The advantages that LTE tablets bring is that they also bring GPS. There are wifi tables that also bring GPS. Both models will work great with you, but having a GPS enabled tablet has advantages.

want some opinion as whether tablet with sim or without?
Having a sim will allow your tablet to connect to the Internet. That'll allow you to use features in DJI GO that require an Internet connection (like downloading the maps or streaming live video to YouTube).

If you only need an Internet connection for the maps, another option would be to cache the before you head out to fly (like this) or connect your tablet to a hotspot on your mobile phone (if that's an option).

The advantages that LTE tablets bring is that they also bring GPS.
Most Wi-Fi only Android devices have GPS. For Apple devices, a cellular model (service activation is optional) is required in order to use GPS.

having a GPS enabled tablet has advantages
The possible advantages are that you can set the home point to your current location after taking off or use the Follow Me flight mode. If not using those features, having GPS on the mobile device likely won't be beneficial.

Reactions: Ansia
The advantages that LTE tablets bring is that they also bring GPS. There are wifi tables that also bring GPS. Both models will work great with you, but having a GPS enabled tablet has advantages.
Thank you for that reply, not sure on what you mean by Lte? Bit green in that area. But yes! Understand GPS is advantage so
W
Would a lenov? Which is only wifi?

Thank you Ansia
Basically a LTE tablet is a tablet that has cellular service. Like BT-Mobile, O2, Tesco Mobile, or any other service. @msinger corrected me and said that most Android tablets bring GPS. As for the Lenovo Tab 4, it does not have GPS. Like @msinger said, it is not required to have GPS to fly and there are few advantages to having it. I move around a lot when flying to keep VLOS, so I like having GPS to set my new home point when I want to land. Just my personal preference.

Reactions: Dodgethat
Hello,

I have the Lenovo Tab4 in both the 8" and 10" size. I use them with DJI Go 4 and they work wonderfully well. Not great in super sunny conditions but most tablets would have the same issue. The 10" tablet just barely fits in the P4P controller mount, fully extended and with a snug push fit.

I've never needed cellular connectivity prior to flying. If you need maps, a little planning in advance helps. Otherwise I can always tether to my cell phone. BTW, if you do go for a tablet with cellular service, consider a Google Fi data-only SIM. No monthly fee and only pay for data that you use.

Reactions: Dodgethat
Hello,

I have the Lenovo Tab4 in both the 8" and 10" size. I use them with DJI Go 4 and they work wonderfully well. Not great in super sunny conditions but most tablets would have the same issue. The 10" tablet just barely fits in the P4P controller mount, fully extended and with a snug push fit.

I've never needed cellular connectivity prior to flying. If you need maps, a little planning in advance helps. Otherwise I can always tether to my cell phone. BTW, if you do go for a tablet with cellular service, consider a Google Fi data-only SIM. No monthly fee and only pay for data that you use.
I would go bankrupt. I use around 100GB of data a month on my tablet alone. Won't say how much is spent on my cellphone, but it's higher.:sweatsmile:

Specs for the Lenovo Tab 4 show that it does have GPS. (I've only ever seen one Android tablet that doesn't have GPS).
Well chucks. The webpage I visited at work said it didn't. When I get there tomorrow I'll post it.

Edit: Found it.

Lenovo Tab 4 10 price, specifications, features, comparison
Screenshot_20190213-193505_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Hello,

I see the 8-inch is only available with 16GB storage but has an SD slot. Do you use an accessory SD card or is the standard 16gig adequate?

I see the 8-inch is only available with 16GB storage but has an SD slot. Do you use an accessory SD card or is the standard 16gig adequate?
It does have an SD card slot. I have used it both with and without the SD card. Actually if you don't use it for anything other than flying, the built-in memory is fine. I don't store anything on it and I don't cache any drone footage to it.

I just purchased a Lenovo Tab 4 8" and installed it as recommended on this forum. Seems to be a very workable solution. I haven't actually flown with it yet but the camera view, etc., seems to be working correctly. Only issue I'm having is that I'm unable to get it to enter the simulator mode. Any suggestions?

Thank you all,
for the info on the Lenovo tab 4.
I got one the other day and am happy with its fast connection with my p4p. It makes a big difference from my last two tablets.
Now to book that commercial test!!!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik