Best practice for memory card and files

Reaction score
Hi all. Wondering what is best practice for getting the files from the drone to the computer and then what is best after the files are backed up? What I am also considering is there any file quality lost based on any particular method. Currently I take the micro SD card out, put it in the adaptor and copy the files from the card to the computer. Is this ideal? Should I cut the files instead of copy? Should I connect the computer direct to the drone via USB and get the files that way?
And once the files are copied, should I get into the practice of formatting the card when it is back in the drone? Interested to know everyone's thoughts.

What I am also considering is there any file quality lost based on any particular method.Should I connect the computer direct to the drone via USB and get the files that way?
And once the files are copied, should I get into the practice of formatting the card when it is back in the drone?
Digital files copy without losing quality.
Using a cable to transfer from the drone is much, much slower and is messy and complicated.
Format your card in the computer or the drone - it makes no difference where you do it.

Reactions: MAJoJa
pulling the card is best i believe. Formatting using the drone isn't needed but can't hurt. I just 'move' instead of copy that way the card stays clean

Thank you. I tried the move method once before then went flying again and it said the card memory was full (was using internal at that stage).

Digital files copy without losing quality.
Using a cable to transfer from the drone is much, much slower and is messy and complicated.
Format your card in the computer or the drone - it makes no difference where you do it.

Thank you. I figured that files copy without loss but was not %100 sure. Makes sense copying from drone is slow but I find it difficult to remove the SD card from the mavic air (without finding something thin to push the card down to release).

pulling the card is best i believe. Formatting using the drone isn't needed but can't hurt. I just 'move' instead of copy that way the card stays clean

Just a couple of things spring to mind with this.

I always try and copy (not cut or move) files off and then, when that operation has completed successfully, if I want to keep some things on the card, I delete them on the source memory card afterwards, or, I format it using whichever device it normally operates within.
In this way, should there ever be any problems during the operation, like a power failure or knocking the USB card adapter out of the USB port, the source files are always kept intact.
You can go one step further than this, and enable the write protect switch on the memory card (if it has one) as soon as you take it out of the drone or remote, and keep it protected until you are ready to delete the files on it. In practice I always forget to do this, however I would always do it if I could remember.

As for formatting, I believe it is best practice to always format a memory card (not just drone related, but also with digital cameras etc.) using the device in which it will be operating, assuming that the format function is available. In this way the correct file system is always applied to the card.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4