Best One Yet... Life is Good!!!

Reaction score
I really had a ball with the bird yesterday at the campsite where I park my trailer. I was a little worried that the owner wouldn’t want me flying around the park, but my concerns were put to rest when he was going by my site and spotted my drone on the picnic table. He was all excited in a good way. It turns out that he himself has a P4P that his family got him for Christmas.

As for my flight; it was the best one I’ve had yet since getting my P4. I’m a lot more comfortable now. I’m able to take off and put it up to 50 meters without having a panic attack. (but it’s still a BIT scary.) I flew all over the park, from end to the other. I even went to the office and got a big wave from the owner.

There was one little hiccup that was brought on by a little overconfidence. There is a dirt trail that goes into the woods and I’ve often wondered where it went. Turns out that it’s a dump and there’s 2 bog swamps also in the area. After seeing what I wanted to see, I decided to bring the bird back home. So I tapped the screen, watched and waited. Suddenly I noticed that it was going straight down instead of coming home. It was about ten feet over one of the swamps, heading right for it. I didn’t panic (very much) and tapped cancel. I let it hover while I studied the screen more closely and then once I was absolutely sure, I tapped the RTH button. It came back flawlessly. This was the second time I’ve made this mistake. I was very lucky the first time because it landed in a field of grass – no damage done. I was extremely lucky this last time because I was experienced enough to realize what was happening and why it was happening. I was able to calmly fix the situation before a disaster happened. I know I said this after the first time, but I’ll say it again… and really mean it. It won’t happen again.

And so in the end I can really say that I had a ton of fun!!! What a great hobby!!!

I really had a ball with the bird yesterday at the campsite where I park my trailer. I was a little worried that the owner wouldn’t want me flying around the park, but my concerns were put to rest when he was going by my site and spotted my drone on the picnic table. He was all excited in a good way. It turns out that he himself has a P4P that his family got him for Christmas.

As for my flight; it was the best one I’ve had yet since getting my P4. I’m a lot more comfortable now. I’m able to take off and put it up to 50 meters without having a panic attack. (but it’s still a BIT scary.) I flew all over the park, from end to the other. I even went to the office and got a big wave from the owner.

There was one little hiccup that was brought on by a little overconfidence. There is a dirt trail that goes into the woods and I’ve often wondered where it went. Turns out that it’s a dump and there’s 2 bog swamps also in the area. After seeing what I wanted to see, I decided to bring the bird back home. So I tapped the screen, watched and waited. Suddenly I noticed that it was going straight down instead of coming home. It was about ten feet over one of the swamps, heading right for it. I didn’t panic (very much) and tapped cancel. I let it hover while I studied the screen more closely and then once I was absolutely sure, I tapped the RTH button. It came back flawlessly. This was the second time I’ve made this mistake. I was very lucky the first time because it landed in a field of grass – no damage done. I was extremely lucky this last time because I was experienced enough to realize what was happening and why it was happening. I was able to calmly fix the situation before a disaster happened. I know I said this after the first time, but I’ll say it again… and really mean it. It won’t happen again.

And so in the end I can really say that I had a ton of fun!!! What a great hobby!!!
Knowing what is supposed to happen is key to preventing accidents.

I know this is a P4 forum, but my story is for all models. I've learned that you have to watch those instruments, and monitor what the drone is doing at all times. I had a real scary thing happen to me a few weeks ago when I wasn't paying attentioln to what I was doing. I have a P3 Pro, and I was out about a mile in open desert. I sometimes will let the Pro come home in RTH mode as apposed to flying it all the way back manually. This time I had forgotten to lower the RTH altitude before I took off. It was set for 150 meters. Pretty high up for open desert with nothing taller than a bush for miles around. I decided to bring it down manually to a lower altitude as it approached the Home Point. No need to have it return that high over my head, and then start the slow descent to land. So I moved the left stick to the rear and watched the vertical speed increase, and the altitude start to decrease. That day I had my dog with me. When he took off after a rabbit, I diverted my attention from the drone, to the dog. All the while the Pro was descending! When I looked back at the camera view, all I saw was weeds and bushes going by at a fast pace. I nearly flew the thing into the ground. I immediately hit up-stick and gained a few feet of altitude, then brought the thing home. I was lucky. Another three or four seconds of inattention and it would have impacted the desert floor. I have been flying drones for more than two years, but I leaned a new valuable lesson that day. Pay attention to what the drone is doing at all times! Watch those numbers, and don't manuver without having good situaional awareness.

(Clicking refresh hoping for the video to show)......

Reactions: dansoto

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl