Best mode for 30-35mph speed while recording?

Reaction score
I film large waves and they tend to travel upwards of 30 mph and I want to be able to keep up with the waves and not lose all the gps benefits of my P4 What mode do you experts recommend I fly in? I appreciate the advice and wish you all a Merry Christmas/Happy Hanukkah. Safe flying!

Hi yip I do lot of fast mucking around in sport mode,,hope I right when say this but I presume as long as you got good gps and not the yellow atti mode (no gps)and being above water in the open should have good gps like you are I don't think you will lose no gps benefits, certainly be more agile in monovering and speed side of it,mine holds position in flight well without losing any altitude at all,,,that's my experience with it,I'd lose mine in the cook straight if it did,I'm always out over water,,mayby do a flight down big park or beach front and see how well it holds , yes take care out there Santa's coming,wonder if he got strobes on,ha,all the best Ian :)

Reactions: Erised
I film large waves and they tend to travel upwards of 30 mph and I want to be able to keep up with the waves and not lose all the gps benefits of my P4 What mode do you experts recommend I fly in? I appreciate the advice and wish you all a Merry Christmas/Happy Hanukkah. Safe flying!
Your Phantom will zip along at 16 metres per second (36 mph) in P-GPS mode if you disable obstacle avoidance.
And since there are very few obstacles where you're flying .......

Hi yip I do lot of fast mucking around in sport mode,,hope I right when say this but I presume as long as you got good gps and not the yellow atti mode (no gps)and being above water in the open should have good gps like you are I don't think you will lose no gps benefits, certainly be more agile in monovering and speed side of it,mine holds position in flight well without losing any altitude at all,,,that's my experience with it,I'd lose mine in the cook straight if it did,I'm always out over water,,mayby do a flight down big park or beach front and see how well it holds , yes take care out there Santa's coming,wonder if he got strobes on,ha,all the best Ian :)
Same here, like ianzone I am often over water in sport mode witch has gps but no obstacle avoidance, and like Meta said there are very few things to hit. Over waves my VPS has no bad effects only over smooth running water like a creek or river, the rolling and crashing of the waves doe's not leave any stable image for VPS to lock on. One thing to watch out for is that if you are very low and close to the surface and accelerate hard the craft tends to drop a bit in altitude as you accelerate to cruising speed and you could possibly make a water landing (not good).

Last edited:

We have done several tests with and without the sensors coming up on waves and for us the jury is in. We fly with the sensors on in P GPS mode and try to fly right thru the wave as the camera is always showing closer than what it really is but the sensors know the real deal.

We have posted some videos on are youtube site testing the ability to dunk the drone in and out of the water using the Surge Ring on the bottom of the gimbal and using the Sensors to stop the drone from oncoming waves..

However we tried the same type of flying with the sensors on in this heavy Snow Storm and the results were < Sensors need to be off or the drone can get confused from all angles .

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj