Best Controller for Phantom 2 - FrSky Taranis

Re: Best Controller for Phantom 2

I'll post my gains when I get home.

Yes I have a taranis still. It's awesome, but I don't know the range I'm getting until the weekend when I can test and see.

No it's not fasst, that's a futaba thing.

The thing that taranis gives you is a ton of features. Telemetry, 2 pots, 2 slider, all the switches but 2 are 3 stages. You can be mode 1 or 2, you can have both sticks return to center, both sticks can ratchet, or they can ratchet and return to center. Your choice. It also has sound alerts, so when your stick is center it can alert and when you change modes it will alert. It can alert all telemetry as well.

It also has a computer GUI to program the controller if you don't want to click through the controllers LCD.

One more point, what do you think about the comment that swapping the reciever with something other than the fasst would be "arguably a step down" (as would be needed with Taranis). I don't know enough about this to decide at this point. I wonder if it would be worth the cost to go Futaba T8G and keep stock reciever?? thanks again for reply capt

Boozshey said:
I'll post my gains when I get home.

I'd be interested in these too. Thanks.

My gains are...
135 135 85 100
80 80

As far as range from others, 3km or more have been reported so I don't really think it's really that far off from the expensive radios.

But what are you looking to do with the phantom? Long range FPV or just film stuff... That's what really matters. If you are looking for long range FPV then you should look into UHF.

Boozshey said:
My gains are...
135 135 85 100
80 80

Many thanks.

Best Controller for Phantom 2

Is there a Futaba that binds directly to the Phantom without opening her up? I'm confused as to the response. I thought someone said the T8J would do this.

http://www.futaba-rc.com/systems/air.html

Any of the FASST systems will bind to the P2 without having to replace the receiver. There is no point in buying anything more than the 8FG though as you won't be able to utilise the additional channels.

Boozshey said:
That's an awesome flight distance for sure. But that controller is modified. How much so I'm not sure I saw him say. But the antenna is in a different location and is not stock for sure.

The controller is not modified, the ANTENNA is.
I regularly got 4km with stock controller before changing antenna.

Booz, Since yaw was what I most wanted to smooth out the most, I had tried %80, 60 and then 50 without much change. I only lowered the other gains approx. %10. I am not into big range, hell I can hardly see my own feet as it is. Just want buttery smooth maneuvers for video. The drone work at the Masters Golf tournament this year was amazing and inspirational. I would love to find out exactly what they used and especially the camera. capt

ussvertigo said:
Booz, Since yaw was what I most wanted to smooth out the most, I had tried %80, 60 and then 50 without much change. I only lowered the other gains approx. %10. I am not into big range, hell I can hardly see my own feet as it is. Just want buttery smooth maneuvers for video. The drone work at the Masters Golf tournament this year was amazing and inspirational. I would love to find out exactly what they used and especially the camera. capt

If you want buttery smooth video, an 8FGS and a H3-3D are what you want. IF you want what they had at the masters, that'll be another $20k or so.

Didn't get an email saying there was a new post, so I hadn't been back in here for a few days.

Any proffesional production work is always going to cost about 50x's what the average person will spend. They have heavy lift hexs or octos and lifting professional equipment. Do you have to spend $20k, no, but you will be in the $3000 range and I promise the difference in a $3000 rig and a $10000 rig is you don't count camera is nothing that makes up for $7000...

As far as yaw control, my yaw is pretty stable with just the T-Motors and stock twist on P2 blades. I would like a 3axis to assist even more. I don't want to have to buy another DJI product so I am on the email list for this when they are back in stock. http://www.cnchelicopter.com/servlet/th ... new/Detail

I went out to do a range test today, got 1006 feet away at 250ft high and lost my nerve, the thing was gone and I just couldn't let it out of my site like that. I still had full radio signal on my Taranis at 5.48v.

I bought a taranis...now I want to sell it. Boy is this WAY over my head. Haven't a clue how to change out the rx or programming this thing. Very limited and confusing info out there.

Should have bought the fubata 8sg so I do not have to open up the phantom and mess with the internals.

Not a happy taranis owner :cry:

I felt the same way after a couple hours of trying to figure it out.

It's actually pretty simple though. Especially since it has a smart port like the futaba.

I'm not at my computer but I'll link you to the two write ups I used. It made it very simple and there is tons of support out there.

Boozshey said:
I felt the same way after a couple hours of trying to figure it out.

It's actually pretty simple though. Especially since it has a smart port like the futaba.

I'm not at my computer but I'll link you to the two write ups I used. It made it very simple and there is tons of support out there.

Wow, thanks Boozshey. What I hope to get is help (ideally a video link if out there) with step by step info on how to remove the stock rx from the phantom and replace and wire the x8r rx into the phantom. This is all new to me.
Thanks so much for your response...

I've been reading this thread with interest and been also trying to get smooth video using the stock controller from DJI.

I've been finding that its quite easy to accidentally rotate as you raise and lower the P2, which doesn't make for very smooth crane shoots in my video.

I was wondering if its worth tweaking the controller settings and if this would help smooth out my flying?

[vimeo]99215440[/vimeo]

If anyone was any suggested setting for smoothing out the stock controller that would be great, I don't quite have the budget for a controller upgrade just yet.

Thanks

Matt

Apparently you can adjust your springs to make them a bit stronger. you can make your sticks longer as well to increase the course. (or you can buy a futaba T8J and program a "smooth option"... :)

I'm i right in thinking the T8J needs a different transmitter inside the phantom?

Also any ideas about how to adjust the springs?

Cheers

Matt

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1