Beginner Needs Advice

GPS is built into the Phantom. The Phantom uses GPS signals to maintain hover in one place and to bring the Phantom back in case you lose signal with the controller.

I hope this is what you're asking? The GPS really doesn't have anything to do with the tablet or viewing device you use. It's just part of the navigation equipment onboard the Phantom.

GPS is built into the Phantom. The Phantom uses GPS signals to maintain hover in one place and to bring the Phantom back in case you lose signal with the controller.

I hope this is what you're asking? The GPS really doesn't have anything to do with the tablet or viewing device you use. It's just part of the navigation equipment onboard the Phantom.

Why would GPS as a feature in the tablet be needed? Sounds like the Phantom has what ever is needed regarding GPS.

Thanks for your reply.

Jim

The bird sets its hompoint as the launch site. With a gps tablet you can have the bird follow you while you move or you can " move " the homepoint to wherever you are located with that gps tablet...

The bird sets its hompoint as the launch site. With a gps tablet you can have the bird follow you while you move or you can " move " the homepoint to wherever you are located with that gps tablet...

Thanks, that clarifies it! Tablet GPS nice but not necessary.

Jim

Tablet GPS nice but not necessary.
Right -- most people probably never use it.

You can find a list of recommended and commonly used devices here.

I have done some research into tablets for FPV. It seems that none can be seen in daylight without a sunshade. So, why not just forget FPV and just fly the Phantom with direct visual control and record the video for later viewing? Won't the Phantom still return home if it gets out of sight or battery gets low? And does the Phantom have a hover mode or command that would simplify flight for a beginner?

Thanks for any insight.

Jim

Won't the Phantom still return home if it gets out of sight or battery gets low?
It'll try to return home when the battery gets low if you enable the "Smart Return Home" feature in DJI GO. The DJI GO app will prompt you before it sends your Phantom back, so you can cancel it. And, if you continue to fly until the battery reaches the critical low level, your Phantom will auto land at its current location.

Your Phantom can fly much further than you can see. It'll only try to return to home if the RC signal is lost.

And does the Phantom have a hover mode or command that would simplify flight for a beginner?
There is a beginner mode that will prevent the Phantom from flying further than 30m away. I'm not sure what you mean by a hover mode though.

It'll try to return home when the battery gets low if you enable the "Smart Return Home" feature in DJI GO. The DJI GO app will prompt you before it sends your Phantom back, so you can cancel it. And, if you continue to fly until the battery reaches the critical low level, your Phantom will auto land at its current location.

Your Phantom can fly much further than you can see. It'll only try to return to home if the RC signal is lost.

There is a beginner mode that will prevent the Phantom from flying further than 30m away. I'm not sure what you mean by a hover mode though.

So, return home does not function without a tablet for a viewer?

Maybe a maintain altitude mode is a better description. Something that eliminates one very important control requirement from a pilots chores.

Jim

return home does not function without a tablet for a viewer?
You can initiate RTH from the remote controller. And, it will automatically initiate in the cases I described above even if not using a tablet. But, you really should not fly without a tablet or other mobile device -- even more so if you're a beginner.

Maybe a maintain altitude mode is a better description.
Your Phantom will always hover in place if you let go of the sticks. If in ATTI mode, it will not hold its position. Instead, it'll drift with the wind.

You can download the P3A manual here. It goes into more detail about all of the things we are discussing here.

You can initiate RTH from the remote controller. And, it will automatically initiate in the cases I described above even if not using a tablet. But, you really should not fly without a tablet or other mobile device -- even more so if you're a beginner.

If I can't see the display in sunlight, how does the display help?

Thanks for your help.

Jim

If I can't see the display in sunlight, how does the display help
Use a sun shade and/or don't stand in the sun light. The DJI GO app displays a lot of valuable flight information. I really don't recommend anyone (including experts) try to fly without it.

Maybe just me, but I have never seen a tablet or phone that you couldn't see or at least see the map and radar part even in sunlight.

Just like anything else, you can turn, shade with hand or use a screen shield or hood if it's a big problem.

OK, you guys have convinced me that a tablet of some kind is necessary. I guess I will have to experiment to see if I need a sunscreen.

Thanks, Jim

Without a tablet/screen. You won't be able to tell what you are recording, you have to remember a quad will seem like a speck at 300ft!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hey Hawkeye. I'm new to the phantom, have a p3a. So from a new guy (and having done a ton of research), I'd recommend the Nvidia shield k1 (I've had nothing but apple products previously) and get an anti glare screen cover for it. Helps tremendously along with keeping the sun out of direct line of the tablet. The sheild is economical enough to justify it as a dedicated tablet. Also. No regrets as far as the advanced vs professional and definitely glad I picked it over the standard. Good luck going through the process. I enjoyed it.

Reactions: hawkeye62
Hey Hawkeye. I'm new to the phantom, have a p3a. So from a new guy (and having done a ton of research), I'd recommend the Nvidia shield k1 (I've had nothing but apple products previously) and get an anti glare screen cover for it. Helps tremendously along with keeping the sun out of direct line of the tablet. The sheild is economical enough to justify it as a dedicated tablet. Also. No regrets as far as the advanced vs professional and definitely glad I picked it over the standard. Good luck going through the process. I enjoyed it.

Thanks for the advice! :D

I think it kinda depends on which Phantom you end up with in a way and more importantly, how much you wanna sink into it. Sounds like you're not a huge phone phan. I have an Advanced and I use a $99.00 insignia elite 8.5" screen tablet from Best Buy. Resolution is up there with any of them and it does great for me. If you get a P3P, you might need a faster processor. BTW, it has wifi but is not a phone.

I don't see an 8 inch Insignia tablet, the only 8.5 inch device is a DVD player. There is a 7.85 inch tablet called Flex Elite.

Jim

facepalm.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers