Beginner Needs Advice

Reaction score
Hi all,

My wife bought me a quadcopter for my birthday. I have flown it a few times, but it is very basic. I am thinking about an upgrade to a Phantom Advanced. But, if I read correctly, I will need an I Phone or maybe something else to use the Phantom in FPV mode. I don't use smart phones of any kind and I wouldn't want to buy one to fly the Phantom.

So, my current big question: What can be used for the FPV screen? (I am not interested in the goggles I have seen mentioned.) Maybe a tablet of some kind? If so, Windows or Android? Useful sizes?

Any advice will be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Jim

Lot's of opinions on this, so here's mine.
iOS:
Minimum: iPad Mini 2 or iPad Air
Better: iPad Mini 4 or iPad Air 2

Android:
Minimum: Google Nexus 7 (2013 Version)
Better: nVidia Shield K1

No way around having to have some kind of device for the P3 systems.

2nd ^^^^^the motion.........

shield great tablet only use for flying

yes apple fans chime in:(

gotcha :)

I am putting in a vote for the Nexus 7 which Precision Aeroworks mentioned above. I don't have one yet, but I'll get one. People on this site love them. It has a 7 inch screen which beats about any dumb smart phone screen and it's not so heavy as to be too awkward. And there are plenty of other reasons why it's on top of the 7 inch tablet category.

If you buy an Ipad, make sure you get the cell+wifi as this will have the built in GPS. This will help with setting new home points and follow modes.

I am not an Apple fan. The "Apple way or the highway" sort of thing bugs me. I have used android devices in the past and currently use Windows 10 on various devices.

Thanks, Jim

Not sure what you mean by cell+wifi. What would I do with the cell feature?

Thanks, Jim
On iOS devices, only those equipped with cellular capabilities have gps. You can get them with wi-fi only or wi-fi plus cellular. You don't have to activate the cellular to get the gps functionality.

I think it kinda depends on which Phantom you end up with in a way and more importantly, how much you wanna sink into it. Sounds like you're not a huge phone phan. I have an Advanced and I use a $99.00 insignia elite 8.5" screen tablet from Best Buy. Resolution is up there with any of them and it does great for me. If you get a P3P, you might need a faster processor. BTW, it has wifi but is not a phone.

As JKD mentions, you don't need to spend a fortune on the display device. The app is somewhat particular but you can search posts here for what other people use and you will find some somewhat older device that work just fine. These can be found new and even used.

On iOS devices, only those equipped with cellular capabilities have gps. You can get them with wi-fi only or wi-fi plus cellular. You don't have to activate the cellular to get the gps functionality.

What does GPS do for me with the Phantom? I know what GPS does with my Garmin. But how about the Phantom?

Thanks, Jim

I use an Ipad mini 4 wifi- cell but I only use it for the Phantom. I dont use the cellular service but have it if I need it and I like it has barometer, gps and wifi.

Anything is fine as long as it's a fast enough processor, you can see the screen and it's compatible.

What does GPS do for me with the Phantom? I know what GPS does with my Garmin. But how about the Phantom?

Thanks, Jim
Home point designation( if you move ftom where drone set home point) and it allows follow me mode.

I think it kinda depends on which Phantom you end up with in a way and more importantly, how much you wanna sink into it. Sounds like you're not a huge phone phan. I have an Advanced and I use a $99.00 insignia elite 8.5" screen tablet from Best Buy. Resolution is up there with any of them and it does great for me. If you get a P3P, you might need a faster processor. BTW, it has wifi but is not a phone.

How about GPS? Thanks, Jim

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik